Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bare Metal.....Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brentthebarber, Feb 18, 2009.

1. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

So I just started mocking up my model A on deuce rails, I live 2 blocks from the beach and everything rusts' in a day, the frame is bare metal and I'm wondering if anybody knows the best thing i can rub on it to keep rust off while I'm mocking everything up? any help?....please. it's driving me nuts!

Thanks.

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

GIBBS rules! My friend gave me some and it saved my ass!!

Ian

3. Bare metal will start oxidizing (rust) in about 20 minutes.
    Work fast!

4. "Gibbs" +1. My project has been bare for 2 years in a shop which has lots of moisture come through the floor. Hasn't rusted at all.

5. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

DO NOT PUT OIL ON IT!!!!!!!!!! If you do i really doubt youll ever get paint to work well with it. Id just shoot some epoxy on it, or build the project and then reblast it when bodywork time comes. Youll be everyway from fucked if you put penetrating oil on it. The layer of surface rust that forms isnt going to hurt it for a long, long, long time.

6. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

Cool guys thanks for the responses, I'll be on my way to get some Gibbs after work. I literally got my frame in the garage at night and walked out in the morning and rust already formed I was so pissed off. That's the only thing that sucks living next to the beach. "the only thing!" haha. Didn't plan on using any oils but thanks for the heads up.

7. sloorider

sloorider

I got to agree with not using penetrants, apply a zinc based metal prep.
    just my 2 cents

8. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

I recommend Picklex 20, won't give you the problems that penetrating oils will when you go to paint. Have also heard that it helps promote weld penetration. Do a web search for it, good stuff.

9. blackout

blackout

You can coat it with Metal Ready, or something similar. It will leave a zinc coating. Keep as much of the bare steel covered with an old blanket, or anything, to keep damp air off it. The Metal Ready will have to be thoroughly rinsed off prior to coating. Dry it off immediately. I have found it is easier to control by rinsing and drying one panel at a time.

10. studhud

studhud

Gibbs is not the wonder tonic its advertised to be but it does help. I hate the por 15 products (well kinda) I just dont think they are all that either but they have a blue colored metal wash or prep(metalready) I use that (spray on wipe off-its kinda tacky after you wipe it off) Then I use gibbs on top of that. I works way better than gibbs by itself. The por15 metal prep seems to nutrailize the metal better than gibbs. Use both Just my 2 cents Dave

11. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Anyone ever tried Ospho?

12. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

I was just gonna say that.

13. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I feel sorry for ya brotha. Main reason why i left J-ville.
    I can't stand RUST.

14. 53choptop

53choptop

I use it alot.

Ospho Thread

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

All the time.... works great.

16. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

meant as a smart ass question..:rolleyes:

17. sloorider

sloorider

:rolleyes:you gots some splanning Lucy.:confused::confused::confused:

18. dirtyball

dirtyball
    from G town Ks

Where do you get the gibbs at.

19. Tim G

Tim G

I gotta agree with that, avoid putting something on there which you are going to have to remove every trace of when you come round to painting it... i use epoxy primer because seals, is non porous and sticks like shit to a blanket...

it also smells nice but don't sniff it too long :)

20. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

I been smelling epoxy for 20 years and it hasn't..............have you seen fluffy I love fluffy

21. studhud

studhud

Google it or roadsters.com has it ect. LTR dave

22. You can get Gibbs from HAMBer side_valve Got to his website at www.thehotrodcompany.com for Gibbs and lots of other cool stuff.

Max

23. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Finally!!!!! Someone has some insight!!!!!

More insight!!!! 5 star this thread!!!!

You use Epoxy because it sticks to everything and is a great barrier from rust, but it is pourous and not perfect.

What do you think Gibbs is????!!! If you plan on painting it, I wouldn't go near the stuff. Gibbs is probably great for its intended use, but this is not one of them. Picklex 20 cleans the surface where it is applied and rids you of any rust that is deep down in pits. Plus it leaves behind a phosphate coating that will prevent any surface rust from forming.

Now where's the guy from Roadsters.com to argue with me again??

24. FEDER

FEDER

I too got all hot and bothered over GIBBS. On My last can out of five. Its ok but not the wonder oil its put off to be. Its certainly not the best penetrant out there. I wont buy anymore for the price. FEDER

25. David Totten

David Totten

There is a product called The Must For Rust. It is a metal prep threre claim is you can spray it on and leave it protects bare metal for like 13 months . then you can just respray wipe and primer.

26. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

[​IMG]

27. sloorider

sloorider

Fiberglass and epoxy, hmmm(Homer Simpson voice).
    The right choice is clear, stay away from penetrants but your going to do it anyways aren't ya...

28. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

I would spray it with ospho then when your ready, sand it prime it and paint it.

29. FEDER

FEDER

One thing for sure, sloorider You Sir have the creepiest avatar on the board.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee