Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo rear update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodLand, Dec 21, 2005.

1. RodLand

RodLand

I need St. rodder Feb. 1985 or the article on modern axles in a old rear.There may be other articles on this, I seem to remember some but can't remember where. Old age does this to some people, I'm told, but don't know why it is happening to me. :confused: Need help! on the rear that is, not my memory

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I'd be interested as well. Did you try contacting the mag regarding back issues?

3. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

I have an old article about modifying a quick change to modern axles. It is the same procedure as the banjo rear. I had someone scan it so I can send it to you if you want. It may not be the easiest to read but I think you can make it out. If anyone knows how to take it and put it in the HAMB I will gladly give it up for future referance. By the way i did thi and it is not exactly 100% accurate but you can figure out the correct way and I have almost 20K miles now with no problem

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Do you still have to baby it with the gas or can you get your foot into it without worrying? I've seen kits to convert a banjo into a posi, but it's like $550 and that's not including the axles. Is this article geared towards a junkyard part solution?

Thanks

5. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

You can use all junkyard parts but you have to score two rear ends cause you will need two axles the same length. I don't dump the clutch on my Quickie, I have heard they will not take a lot of HP, but I certanly put my foot into it (on occasion) and get rubber in all four gears and I have bent 36 rear radius rods three times before replacing them with ladder bars. But I took the slicks off too so maybe that's what was bending the bones hooking too much. I love the look of a small Quickie or Banjo so fo me it's worth it.

6. RodLand

RodLand

Yes and all i got was a phone number to buy a complete converted rear.

7. RodLand

RodLand

Yes, anything is a help. Thanks

8. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

9. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

I'll send you guys a copy when I get to work tomorrow, I don't have access to the file tonite.

10. ol fueler

ol fueler

If that is the one where they put new ends on the housings to put in axles that bolt in from the outside, I have it somewhere in a box of magazines in storage. If what you are being sent is not what you need , let me know & I'll go try to find it for you.
    Dave

11. RodLand

RodLand

That is the one. I have gotten some real good info for the internal part but could still use this. Don't go to too much trouble to find it. Thanks to all!

12. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Ummm. I posted a link to it above. Feb '85 Street Rodder, right?

http://lonestar.texas.net/~mcdaniel/hamb/banjo1.jpg
    http://lonestar.texas.net/~mcdaniel/hamb/banjo2.jpg
    http://lonestar.texas.net/~mcdaniel/hamb/banjo3.jpg
    http://lonestar.texas.net/~mcdaniel/hamb/banjo4.jpg

Consider this your engraved invitation.

13. RodLand

RodLand

OK I found that. Great info. But what I remember the bearing cups were cut from a 9 inch and welded to the early rear, so now I do not know what mag. it was in.