Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo Noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el Scotto, Mar 27, 2018.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Howdy y'all!

I got a car running and driving with a 1948 banjo rearend and it's making some kinda bearing noise when driving.

What are the spots to trouble shoot? I've never had a banjo or closed driveline before.

Attached Files:

2. I usually run when I hear a banjo

mr57, Hollywood-East, Boryca and 2 others like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

THe most coman place is outer axle tube ends,bearing stub of tube is aged an not smooth anymore were the rollers ride. I remeber being told,it was possible to turn axle tube over,so the side were bearing rides has a good place to run on. That only works one time an if it had been done,then need to look into another set of axle tubes I think. There was a kit I herd about that sleved the tip an used another bearing,but that was some time back.?

4. alchemy

alchemy

The "flip the tubes over" trick only works on 35-36 Fords.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I had a noise issue many years ago in my 41 Ford that sounded like a differential issue. It turned out to be the driveshaft was worn around the center bearing. You have to remove the torque tube and drive shaft to get the differential apart anyway, so you will find out long before you pull everything apart. I did replace the driveshaft and the center bearing and all was right with the world. Good luck with your car! Keep us posted on what you find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Thank you gentleman, those are some good places to start. I'll have to jack it up and take a look-see...

Can I remove the torque tube and driveshaft easily while the rearend is still in the car to check the it and the center bearing or does the rearend need to come out at the time?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. or paddle faster.....:)

anthony myrick and dana barlow like this.
  8. Mac VP

Mac VP

The rear end has to come out to check anything related to the driveshaft. You’ll also want to check the universal joint where the driveshaft meets the transmission. The U-J or its bushings can come undone, and they’ll start scraping against the cap assembly that encloses the joint. The driveshaft has a special support bearing at roughly its midpoint (there’s a grease fitting right under it). There’s also a roller bearing close to the front of the driveshaft. Naturally, the carrier bearings and pinion bearings should be checked.
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_rearend-pics/ford-rearend-32-48-A.jpg