Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banjo Blues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dentisaurus, Sep 21, 2014.

1. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Well this was going to be the start of my Model A coupe build but I think it will now be the start of a search for a decent banjo rear end. I picked up what appear to be a reasonable axle for a HRW conversion for a good price. I stripped it down this weekend and found a few disappointments. Firstly someone appears to have welded to lock washer onto the lock nuts for the pinion. Hmm, OK I can see that, I can grind the weld off and undo the nuts. No apparent preload in the pinion bearings. Well they are probably worn and I want to replace them anyway. But......... I can move the carrier for the bearing at the end of the pinion with my finger! Does this mean the center section for this axle is scrap?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated, I don't want to put a bunch of time and effort into this if it isnt worth saving.

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Start with a better discription .. Are you saying the "race" to the pinion bearings is spinning in the banjo housing?

3. Andy

Andy

The small bearing just floats. You need to push the whole stack out and inspect. The bearings are probably good.

4. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Thanks for the responses.
    Thirty two, sorry, I mean the outer race is spinning in the center section housing. In the first photo you can only just see it, in the second I pushed it all the way up to the pinion.
    What was worrying me was I had assumed this was supposed to be a press fit in the center section. In the write up I had read on the HAMB this bearing was pressed out as part of the rebuild. By the look of this one it will just fall out when I get the pinion pressed out. I guess as this is supposed to float it won't be an issue. As you say, get it pressed out and have a closer look.
    Cheers!