Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banging in the New Year. The January 2014 Banger meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    Looks like the Antique Nats will be back to 1/4 mile at Fontana this year.

2. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Bill this is just the information I need nothing else like this out here many thanks

3. Last I heard the place was getting kinda pricey.

4. I understand that Fontuky had the drag strip closed down by the city and now a sound wall has been built.

It will cost money to race anywhere. Be thankful and participate, lest we lose another one.

5. I believe it was "shut down" by a judge of a local court based on a lawsuit for excessive noise by a neighbor who actually had moved before case went to court. My statement that it was pricey was based on a comment of a club member involved in or familiar with negotiations for the use of it.

6. Bill,

There was more to it than just money was my point.

In any event, I have also hear the drag strip was moved.

My fear is that at some point insurance companies will make it impossible for small clubs to promote events. If in fact the BLM is held liable to the families for the 2010 off road accident, it will set a precedent that facility insurance will become prohibitive.

Did you hear from the meeting yesterday?

John

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Need the torque specs for an original CRAGAR head. Thanks in advance.

8. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Final torque 60 ft/lb

9. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

Anyone put a stainless-O-ring in a banger head such as a Riley ? Any Input ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. I think C Yapp did this on some of his 2 port heads could be mistaken. Been a while. If so you could research his adds in the back cover of the S O S S. If he did this it was programmed into a CNC mill during the machining process. I use the Best 2 port gasket and have had no problems but I only run 8.5 to !.

11. Some of the racers are using copper rings machined into the deck or head and using a solid copper gasket. Usually this is done when the CR is getting pretty high. I have had minimal leakage with this type setup and 13.5:1

J

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Ok ,not a tech contribution.This car is called " PIGLET".It is a Frazer-Nash with a ModelA Ford engine and Cragar OHV head.It's owned by Dougal,the owner of Longstone Tyres in the UK(www.longstonetyres.co.uk).He gets s...8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvmuOQMc1oE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  13. TV

TV

We wire groove all of our race heads,and use stainless wire. This gets very touchy with big valves. But it sure works Good. This is used with a .060 solid copper gasket. (Soft)).--TV

14. Anyone have any input on these 2 cams? I had 2 good cams I was given checked out. These are them. Either of them worth running? 6:1 head. Winfield b downdraft.

Attached Files:

15. they seem a little short on duration to me, compared to camshafts that are available currently. thoughts?

16. I will be running an identical setup; Winfield 6:1 head & SR-B carb. I went with the Brierley SU-1R cam (266*/.350"). I believe Mr. Brierley uses masters from Ed Winfield himself - and the 1R cam was designed with this combo in mind.

17. Quick question...

Working on a .060" over block that's been decked .015" total (as best I can tell), Original Winfield 6:1 'Yellow Head' milled .025". I'm using a Burlington crank, stock rods, cast full-skirt pistons (.004 piston-to-wall clearance), splash oiling on babbitt bearings. With everything assembled, the pistons stand .050" above the deck surface. Best tells me their copper gasket compresses to .052" and we've measured the flycuts in my head at .035".

Opinions on .037" piston-to-head clearance? I've always been told .035-.040 is the sweet spot for quench on a modern OHV motor...not sure with a flatty (see attached pic for a shot of the combustion chambers). I should also note that this will be a low-RPM engine, no more than 3000 RPM for extended periods (enough to cruise at 65mph).

All thoughts/comments appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

So running 6.5:1 with a 2 port head it sounds like I shouldn't have any trouble with out it the o ring / be worth it to do?

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If you have a true .037" squish, you should be fine.

20. Thanks for the reply! Going to torque the head down and clay (or solder) the pistons to be absolutely sure. What would you say is the minimum allowable (safe) squish on a low-RPM A/B motor, assuming piston-to-wall clearance is in the acceptable range (under .008 or so)?

21. After thinking about it I think C Yapp milled a groove between the cylinders for a piece of SS wire. I lay a piece of soft copper .020 dia, wire between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. I use a dab of grease to hold the wire in place. I do this on my Winfield flathead but not sure if I did it on my 2 port. Probably did. Just a little insurance. I once ran a fiber head gasket with no fire rings on a Winfield Crows foot at 9 or 9.5 to 1 it blew at a stud that had been helicoiled and not chamfered enough so the thread was just slightly proud and it blew after I told my son to wind it up to 3 grand and drop the clutch, he did and the gasket blew.

22. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Just wondering, what kind of tach do you use mech or electric? Do you ever exceed the 3000 rpm limits? Only asking because I know I have exceeded 3000 rpm in a stock A motor on a freeway once caught in traffic.

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I know you asked Bill this question, But I finally installed a new Stewart Warner electric tach before the Antique Nats. last year. I found myself shifting @ 4200 rpm .

24. I have a stock block that I ran in my 29 RPU back in the 60's and I know I ran it over 3000 many times but it was built by a very good mechanic.
    I use a S W electronic. I redlined the engine at 4 grand but now tell'm to drive by seat of pants. I install vibration dampeners but still have crank problems. I think that the engine is just going to pull up to its accelerating max which is determined by the combination of components and the torque band developed. My grandson ran the 82 MPH and when asked said "Tach, I don't look at it, just shifted when it felt like it should be shifted" The RPM at 82 computed out at somewhere's close to 3750. At the last 66 hillclimb we ran, the driver, who had never seen the car before that day, said after 2 practice runs that he felt the car was flattening out before 4 grand so I told him to shift when it felt right he did and the only engines to beat our winfield flathead were the 4 ports. We were faster than all other OHV's as I remember.

25. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

Thanks for all the info sounds like I should be ok with 6.5:1 but I'm still going for future reference to I ring it

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

That still has 3 bearing mains right.
    That must sound so cool banging that banger at over 4000

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Yes only 3 mains.

This is what I hear:

At the :30 mark of this video you can hear it up against the legend Jim Brierly.

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This is a little late, but I just realized that I could take this picture:

[​IMG]

I lay a length of .020" wire like this between 1&2 cylinder and 3&4 cylinder. I use to blow head gaskets here quite often. I have yet to blow a gasket here since I started doing this. Running 7+:1 comp ratio flat head. You can see the indentation the wire makes in the head gasket. I put it on the block before the gasket. No problems with the wire inbeding into the block.

G]

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

DaddyO
    You have the wire just sitting on the block or did you machine a slot?
    How about one for the other side of the gasket to the head.

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No just laying on the block. No slot. Only on the block side.