Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bangin' in the New Year - The January BANGER meet is now open

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildfire, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I just googled Milton Bergh (great name...I'm thinking '40's war movies) and it seems he's into bicycles too...
    http://www.oldroads.com/d_fsw_def.asp?rec_count=2
    Near the bottom of that page. Same name and number.
    [SIZE=-1]RE:WANTED: Torpedo Indicator Chain[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]posted by Milton Bergh on [/SIZE][SIZE=+2]1/22/2009 at 5:19:01 AM [/SIZE]
    <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=200></TD><TD>My name is Milton Bergh, I saw your Wanted Ad, so I decided to e-mail you to see if you still wanted it as I have it to offer. Just list out the parts you will be needing.

Milton Bergh
    London SE1 5AA, United Kingdom
    +447024079228
    by: 41.204.224.23 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey if we all emailed him he might get the idea we dont like him use the bicycle add for torpedo chain tightener offer to trade him something of value old rolex watch etc scam him back for awhile he might have to send money to wrong address to cover insurance too
    Ken

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

devious! I like it!

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OK Back to bangers

Has anyone ever seen a broken wrist pin? A & B?
    I mean one that broke due to load not cause by piston or rod broken first

Next is broken rods...... where do they break?

I'm thinking the wrist pins are too large and rods too short.

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bluto,
    I haven't seen a wrist pin break, but I've broken a rod just below the small end.

Are you thinking of smaller pins and longer center to center on the rods?
    Reducing rod angle helps with more R's but will it sacrifice the low end?
    Or are you looking at reducing reciprocating weight?
    Does the Hall run the same rod lengths as A or B?

Sorry if I've asked too more questions then i've answered. :)

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Craz......

There are several good reasons, weight is a good one.

Skirt load reduction is another.

I like to run the ring stack as high as possible. These pistons will have a 1-1,5 compression ring and 2-3 oil ring depending on what I find I can get easy. That will only work if the piston is stable at TDC and the stack is pinched, located close to the top.

If the motor makes enough power you'll not notice the torque loss.

Please remember this is a race engine. I'm not hauling a trailer behind the car. Remember Grapes of Rath. We arn't talking about a AA with all the kids, chickens, and Granny!

It my feelng is that flywheel weight makes more difference than rod center to center. To torque loss. It is a lot easier to get the flywheel too light than the rods too long. As it stood with the B-block the HAL sounded and responded like an Offy.

The Miller, even on road race tires, is a corner to corner sprinter. Basically you back the car in as hard as you can and dig out hard riding the clutch a little and head for the next. Quick rev'n is very important

As long as Mrs. B keeps her foot in and learns to run the clutch out she'll be fine. And between us I'd like her to be on the clutch a little just in case the whole mess turn'round on her. Just to save the motor from being swung backwards. I'd rather buy clutch discs than loose my lady!

Please if anyone has seen a rod busted in the middle, close to the big end or heavy wrist pin wear please let me know :)

8. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I have used Hobart commercial dishwashers.The large upright units. They are all 3 ph so most guys have never seen one unless you are in the restuarant trade. The big ones are big enough to take a SBC block . You simply pull the lid down and they wash automatically using detergent and really hot water (90C) . The biggest problem is that you have to be connected to a grease trap in the plumbing,if not you are going to land in court when the town sewers get blocked . They can be picked up at commercial equipment auctions for peanuts.

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hi

I'm in Poland!

Hobart who? :)

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

So Bluto,
    Are you running the pins on center or will there be offset?
    The pistons will have short skirts too? Thin modern style rings?

Are you running Hal 4 bolt syle rods?

Sounds like it will be one incredable engine. I hope I get to hear it run one of these days!!!!!

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Craz

I run forged pop-ups to my design.

Off-set pins are for street cars. I don't care if they rattle a little.

If I can get the con rods long enough, get piston weight down they won't slap.

HAL rods?? Why would I run old heavy stuff in a race motor? Rods are cheap if you consider that you can run real bearings. Like Nissan.

I'm not running in a "tear-down class"

No claimer's either :)

I watch Mrs Bluto go up the hill and we have a picnic lunch.

We have a really neat Tea basket picnic set

An a great little picnic table and chairs.

If I can get the Miller running we can go racing:D

Attached Files:

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

hey Bluto.
    I like the pic. of the tea set BUT I would love to see pics. of the motor
    Bill

13. RussTee

RussTee

now Bluto you are talking real motors here i think you are right on the nail with your thinking similar to what i have done with my motors as for the picnic table and chairs i send miss Jilly a couple of days ahead in little fordy[stock ford model y 1934] and we have tea and cup cakes when we meet up keep talking real engines regards Rusty

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I can't agree about 'Real' engines.

Each guy here is building what he needs, some cases more than he can really afford. No punn :)

I build all kinds of things.

This is a race motor. If we were really racing it would be even different. HAL heads are actually dumb. Ports are too big and the cartrage fire is ttal bullshit. All costs HP. Real make at least 100 hp per ltr carbed.

If I wanted this real I'd recast the head.

As it is I want to give the Mrs something she can have fun with and I don't have to screw with all the time.

And in truth it will Bug(atti) stomp. :D

15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

The Worlds largest/oldest supplier of commercial equipment. :)
    [​IMG]
    Nearest agent to Poland would be the UK or Germany. I wouldn't bother bringing this up except that these machines work better than a lot of purpose built washers I have seen and used.Plus,second hand ones are worthless because hotels etc want new gear every few years for tax purposes.

16. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Getting pistons made is OK,why not get rods made too? In Poland,if you look about you should be able to get some old fork lift tynes. Get the rods made from this steel . It's called 4140 from memory. It machines beautifully ,it's tough, and if you can find some one with a drop hammer they can forge the shape for you so the grain is flowing in the shape of the rod. Best of all ,a set of used tynes is usually free.

Where I live, forklifts are everywhere so are guys servicing them ,but the only drop forge guy closed up 4 years ago.
    Billy the blacksmith Making a top wheel for an english wheel from a peice of Forklift tyne.
    [​IMG]

17. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

18. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

great picnic set! Very early,... right up our alley! Polish made??

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

NICE!

An Ironworker or???..... either way, a very nice machine!

20. RussTee

RussTee

yep once more have to agree we tend to build to a period i guess my new pick is the most useless thing to restore but it is a challange and is rare probably because no one wants them but is an early veteran yes we could recast heads and probably make a better job of them but aint it fun to get the best we can out of something old and obsolete Bugatti wow but beware scorn Jillys little fordy at your own risk she will defend fordy to the ends of the earth woe betide any who seek to change or modify him
    there is a point here though any young fella can pick up the makings of a banger and build what suits him gaining skills and having total fun as they have since the day Henry made the first banger[Henry land speed record holder on ice and early racer] these young fellas need the encouragement and support but boy isnt it neat to see them doing it

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The banger guys here, young and old are all doing something ..... Instead of posting 'Gee I put air in my tires!!'' stuff. That's why I reacted to the 'real engine' comment like I did.

Build rods myself? Gee why not make my own spark plugs too?? I have a ton of stuff to finish before I die! There are a couple dozen engines waiting for me right now.

Do you know there are almost no magnaflux machines in this country or most of Europe. NDT is unknown except for aircraft or military companies. We have our own machine coming. When you tell people the common answer is 'Why??'

I don't need to make my own pistons or rods. There are very good people in So Cal to do that! I give them my spec and they build what I want. Quickly and without DRAMA.

More custom one-off engine parts built in So Cal than anywhere.

You want to get a heart bypass from a plumber or the best damn Dr you can find??

Don't get me started on 'Old World Craftsmanship' There are very good guys here but they know nothing about one-off rod and piston fabin' and I don't want to start teaching them. I have only a couple guys I can trust here for on-off stuff. And I spend more time explaining that the do making. :)

One thing about racing: People use their product it breaks they don't come back Every one in So Cal's shops know that except for Corrello's new owners are jerks! People hold the dimensions you give them.

Never NEVER forget how lucky you are in the US. If I didn't have Isky's personal cell phone number I'd be in deep shit getting cams done. Honest! No one within hundreds of miles know cam grinding. OK maybe for trucks :D

Germany is three hours away I'll look for a washer:)

22. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

23. AugustIII

AugustIII
    from Maryland

hey..thanks for the pics.....really really cool.