Register now to get rid of these ads!

BANGERS fires up!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY?, Apr 27, 2007.

1. GARY?

GARY?

Got this thing to fire tonight. With the help of a couple buddys Jerry and Jered we got her to go.
    The motor had been rebuilt and sat for almost twenty years (best i could figure from the reciepts that were with it). Looks to be mostly stock inside with the exception of a balanced/counterweighted crank and lightened flywheel.
    I couldn't figure out why the hell it wouldn't turn over early on. Turned out I used to long a bolt to hold the starter on and it was hitting the flywheel.:rolleyes: After switching that bolt out it fird right up.

I had to share this with everybody. Sorry there isn't any video with sound to go with it. It sounded pretty cool if that helps:)
    thank you HAMB, c.b.

Attached Files:

2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Good Deal! That Model A Door I got off you at Portland last year still isn`t on a car...hope the money went to help you a little with this....Keep Goin`....

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is so cool!! Good to see that, I always like them hopped up four bangers!!

4. Nothing like a cool banger !!Yes, we need video,with SOUND!:D Thanks for the update.

5. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Just a bit of advise from someone who has been there; the flat dial-type fuel pressure regulator you are using has a bad reputation among banger and flathead drivers who have used it to reduce pressure to Stromberg, Holley and Ford carbs. Better pressure regulator is the Holley Low Pressure unit, it controls pressure between 0 - 4 psi. It is Holley Part 12-804. There is also an identical looking one for 4-12 psi, which is too much for what you have.
    If you get one, set pressure with the engine running, don't just pressurize the pump with a gauge in the line.
    http://www.holley.com/12-804.asp

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Well done! A bit of video would be great.
    Nice modified intake manifold, btw.

7. GARY?

GARY?

Thanks for the advise, I need plenty. On the regulator. This one isn't the dial type though. Don't know if this changes your opinion 4 2 GO. It's a Super Filt-o-Reg . It has a fixed pressure of 2.5 I believe. Does that sound alright for the 97?
    My other question was going to be about jet size on here. There are 45's in there now I think. My guess would be smaller but I sure do love the sound of experience.
    I found the intake in a pile at a friends. Run one updraft and one downdraft. LOL
    Kiwi, yeah the money did go to the project.
    thanks again, back to work I go, c.b.

8. GARY?

GARY?

So the update I guess.
    The regulator I was using was pushing 4psi. Too much fuel. I bought the recommended regulator from thehotrodcompany.com. Put it in and got it adjusted to 2.5psi or so. Still ran ruff.
    Spoke to Uncle Max, he suggested #43 jets and a #69 power valve in the 97. Max let me know that on the power valves that as the number drops the flow increases. Opposite of jets. Great info.
    So I did that. Still ran ruff.
    The trouble with unknown motors I guess. Jerry and I go through and check the basics. I discover that the distributor rotates counter-clockwise NOT clockwise.
    Swich a couple of wires and BLAMMO she purrs. Dang thing runs sweet. It was firing on 2 cylinders. No wonder it wouldn't make it up the driveway.
    Today I drove a Model A Ford for the first time. Actually it's the first time I ever rode in one for that matter.:)
    This day is going to be remembered!!
    Thanks for listening,
    and thanks for helping HAMBers!!
    The pic is a compression tester that Jerry showed up with from 1922. Worked great. That is not the comp. by the way:D
    just wanted to through in a pic.

Attached Files:

• comp.JPG
      comp.JPG
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
  9. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

The gauge actually looks like a leak-down tester. Rotate the engine until the piston of the cylinder the gauge is attached to has both valves closed i.e. TDC. Now pressurize the cylinder with air in the valve stem thing on the side. If the valves in that cylinder are good the pressure will drop very slowly; if pressure drops quickly its time for a valve grind.
    Your discovery of the counterclockwise distributor rotation made the day.

10. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

First time I drove my 31A I was really surprised at the power & torque it had with the new motor Id built. Dont know what I was expecting but I was pleasently surprised by it. You couldnt slap the smile off my face

11. Elrod

Elrod

Good lookin' banger you got there! I found one of those home built intakes at one of the last swap meets and thought it was too cool. Word of advice. Make sure that down pipe is plugged up, so you don't have fuel collecting down there. Also makes for a rough air delivery. Old timers told me to plug it with aluminum to disipate heat.

Is your header a Reds Header? Is that the recomended one to get right now? Are they mandrel bent?

Thanks for posting, and congrats!

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good to see that bangers are proliferating here...

13. GARY?

GARY?

Thanks for the advice Elrod. I ended up cutting the updraft end off and brazed the hole closed. I'll post an updated pic tonight.
    I'm not sure what kind of header it is. I picked it up used. The header flange has a slight bow to it. I need to take and have it surface ground so it'll seal. Running the original for now.
    Thanks for the compliments. I am so stoked to have this thing running and driving. My proudest moment bar none.