Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger technical ? on turbocharger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powerwagonmaniac1, Apr 13, 2007.

1. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

I am turbocharging my '17 Model T motor and I have some questions.
    1. How much heat does a turbo put out into the engine bay?
    2. How do I get rid of the heat? (I have a 4 core radiator and plan on running a large electric fan)
    3. Will an intercooler help in the engine bay? Or, does that just cool the air inducted into the carburator?
    4. What is the most boost I can put on the engine? We have been thinking no more than 4-5 psi at the max. (The weakest link is the spindly crankshaft, it can break easy)
    5. I found plans for an adjustable wastegate. I want to adjust the wastegate down so it will run just like a regular non turboed engine in it, will this work? If it does can I put a knob on the dashboard so that it bypasses the turbo when it is pulled out and pushed in it engages the turbo to run at about 4 psi and be wastegated?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Chris Becker

2. are you building it to be a draw through system?
    carb in front of the turbo, or a blow through system
    an intercooler only cools the intake charge
    yes there are ajustable boost controler and or wastegates but if you shut off so to speek the turbo then all it is doing is being a big pinwheel stopping air flow and making your engine run like crap
    tom
    http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC<WBR>_Buick_Products/BoostC/boostc<WBR>.html
    here is a link to a simple boost controler

3. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

If you run a draw-thru setup, you don't want to use an intercooler. The fuel will cool down the charge. If you put an intercooler on a draw-thru setup, the fuel will puddle in the intercooler, since it's getting too cool. You only need an intercooler on blow-thru and fuel injected engines.

As for a boost limit on a '17 engine, yeah, I'd think that 5psi is going to be tops. But, you really don't need more than that. You'll still have more HP that a ricer!

4. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Guys,
    How much heat do these little turbos put out, and what is the best way dissapate the heat while running a full hood?

What kind of horsepower increase will I gainwith 3-5 psi of boost?

I am open to suggestions I was thinking a blow through turbo system but I could do a draw trough. Which ever one might be more simple. I just started build a exhaust manifold specific for the turbo. The turbo I am using on my speedster is a Garret T-25 off a Mazda RX-7. My biggest concern is blowing the motor up as I have quite a bit invested in it! How much heat do these little turbos put offdoes anyone know, and what would be the best way dissapate the heat?

Thanks,
    Chris Becker

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Chris, I know this is a few months late, but If your running a T-25 Garret, I would recommend Blow through. I say this because I haven't been able to find the Carbon type compressor seal that is required for a draw through for anything but the T-03 or the T-04. If you have a "dynamic" seal and run a draw through it will "suck" oil past the seal when you are at high vacuum (with the throttle closed) so the engine will smoke. That's annoying but the next problem is that when you get on it the boost will blow air and fuel into the front bearing washing the oil out of it and likely wiping out the turbo. I know by now you have probably heard this already; I hope you haven't found this out the hard way.

6. 5 pounds of boost is nothing on a newer car
    but....
    they also have forged pistons or hyperutectic (spelling?)
    whats done to the motor
    you say you have alot into it as far as $$$$ but what about components
    tk

7. tjm73

tjm73

A rough rule of thumb, and it is just an estimate, is 1 psi of boost equals about 10 hp (and that's on modern engines). Intercoolers are not worht the time and expense until more than 6-7 psi IMO.

Say you run 5 psi, I suspect you would get about 30-40 hp from it. At the crank.

8. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a Turbo installed on a newer 4-banger,
    but it is routed so as the hood closes.
    Its a tight fit on those teen fords.
    Since this shot he's put on some bias ply's and its a pretty cool car.
    TP

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

A turbo'd T banger?
    Wow. Hardcore. Love it. I've no advice to give but let us know how you get on.