Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banger Side Drive Magneto

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retson the Racer, May 21, 2021.

1. Recently got this in the mail. Super hyped to adapt it to our 86” T based on Joe Gemsa’s old frame.

Does anyone have advice on adapting gears to it, since it doesn’t line straight up? IMG_4020.JPG IMG_4021.JPG IMG_4022.JPG IMG_4023.JPG

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  2. Aluminum spacer under the mag and Lovejoy coupler?

Retson the Racer likes this.
  3. I’m definitely thinking that will work. Spun it over with the craftsman, shocked the shit outta myself! IMG_4024.JPG

David Gersic, loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  4. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I would put a impulse coupler, easier to start a T with.

5. Oh, it’s a Model A block. It’ll be way easier than a T!

6. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

My Flathead 8 has two early Bosch mags with impulse couplers and starts very easy. Basically two four cylinder mags with one rotating in the other direction. It also drives the water pump off the nose and the tach drive off the top.

That is a cool set up you have!

7. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I know that some people have told you to ditch the impulse coupler, but... Unless you push start, or have a starter that will spin the engine fast, I would suggest putting the impulse coupling back on. (that mag used one from the factory)(there are L.H. and R.H. so make sure you use the correct one) It will also take care of that tapered shaft!!!! Then add a coupling of your choice. Just make sure that there a way of adjusting timing. (Either mag internal or coupling)
    Be safe, Have fun!

8. Thanks! We’ve got a pretty hot banger this will be going on. Goal is for the car and driver to be under half a ton!

9. We do plan on running the 6v starter on 12v, so I think it will spin pretty fast! I’m looking at doing a Simms / Vernier style of coupler where I can adjust by a tooth.

Couldn’t I time it adjusting the degree of piston #1? When I went from a Model A distributor, to a Model B, it went from TDC to 9*BTDC

10. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

went out and found several mags.
    The first two pics. are of a Bosh without the impulse. Shows both sides of the coupling.
    number two shows the other end of the mag with the mechanical advance. (the advance arm is broken off. would be on the right side of the cap.

Number three shows Wico "C" with the impulse. the bolts are to attach to the other side of coupling witch would be drilled like Bosh, but all the way around. By putting less holes in the other half (dif. spacing) will give you more adjustment.
    The third mag. is a face mount with lugs on the impulse, just have to have a slot in the other half of coupling. (timing adjustment by turning mag body. (could not get this to load right!

DSCN0995.JPG DSCN09971.JPG DSCN09942.JPG

11. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

It's best not to spin a mag without grounding it, you could spike the windings.