Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger motor help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931fordtruck, May 19, 2014.

1. I am going to look at a 1930 Ford 4-door Sedan tonight. He has done some work to the banger. Its bored 30 over. New pistons, springs, valves, belt, leakless water pump, dizzy, alum dd intake, sb 97 carb. Stock head. Other parts come with. Frame is stock. Stock trans. Body is in awesome shape. Included in the deal is a '29 parts vehicle. What is a ruff Price on what the motor is worth as it sets? I want to know on weather to pass or its a deal not to pass up.

Streetrods are driven by Chevy, Hotrods are powered by FORD!

2. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Built a T engine a few years back and did it right ( poured brgs, hardned seats etc.)and had $2000 in it.
    That was parts and machining as I did the dis and reassembly work.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I bought a supposedly "rebuilt" model a motor for my tub a year or so back. Paid $1000 for it, and it was attached to a rolling chassis, but without receipts or documentation.

Remember, any engine without documentation is just a core, at least that's how I see it.

A good clean core, $500-1000. A rebuild with receipts, $1000-5000 depending on the level of the build. H&H lists a built "touring" short block for $3800, FWIW...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

4. Who did the engine work? There is one local company that I wouldn't take one of their engines if it was free while another might bring $4000. I live in Los Angeles and am not familiar with the rebuilders in your area but I am sure someone else knows them. Maybe a post on fordbarn.com?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 19, 2014

5. The Guy did the work himself. He is a machinest.

6. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Machinists come in all catagories.
    Unless you know the quality of his work the engine in question is still a big question mark.

7. RussTee

RussTee

Look at the classifieds on the Ford Barn that will let you work out a ball park figure.

8. I went and looked at the sedan tonight. The body is a Murray body. Its solid. There is very minor rust on both sides of the lower cowl in the seem as normal. Some wood is missing. The frame is in good shape. '32 16" wires. Motor is not running at this time. Its unknown if the trans is any good. The '29 block was magnafluxed, pressure tested, and degreased. Its a good block. No titles for either vehicle.

9. Minor correction, if the wheels are 16 inch they are 1935. I would pass on them if there are no titles or get ready for what might be a big project (depending on where you live).

Charlie Stephens