Register now to get rid of these ads!

bang bang bang bang

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Oct 28, 2012.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

Its a good kind of nuts. Great posts and thread.

2. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Thanks for all your kind comments. Most of my friends just think I'm nuts.

cass "

Twin Turbo Offy kind of nuts. The Finest kind.

Carry on
    Dale
    Cleveland OH my god a Twin Turbo Offy ? WOW

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm curious to know if Cass has anything ordinary in his garage?

5. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Gust's Auto Parts---1832 Milwaukee Ave

According to Chicago records Gust's Auto Parts was located at that address on north Milwaukee Ave. until 1934. The other sponsor C&L service with the phone #Indiana Harbor 3463 is unknown. Indiana Harbor is a section of East Chicago Indiana along Lake Michigan in the heavily industrialized section of the city.

I've got some great detail shots of this and some of other cars on a website that my daughters have put together for me. Check it out http://buymegivemetakeme.com/

6. silent rick

silent rick

i was just going to suggest that

7. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I have it. The car was at the 09 Miller Meet.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

WOW!!
    just WOW!!!!

9. Roger53

Roger53

WOWWWWW man oman if ya have more pic's please post away!:eek:I think I needing to go back over this post several times to get the full pictures.:DIt would be a honor to beable to look at the stuff in that building !Thanks for posting. Roger Well need to close up the shop and go eat.:)

10. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

WOW!!!...simply unbelievable! What I wouldn't give to have been able to take that old #35 car around a dirt track for a few laps...good post...that put a smile on my face

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow! Enjoyed seeing these photos!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Under the white #5 car is basically a stock Ford Model T rear end with a 10 tooth pinion and a full floating axle set up.

Under the White? #35 car is an early mechanical brake chevy pick-up full floating rear end.

Under the white twin cammed hill climb car is a model T Ruxtell axle housing with a 4.11 model A ring and pinion on a spool with a custom solid full floating axle. This is a replacement for the T rear end that we shredded at the Newport Hillclimb

14. T__N__A

T__N__A

Any pics of the Inside of the a T Axle with the model A guts? Just curious how this was done. Very very cool cars by the way!!

15. Thank you for posting these pics. I was loving it till I saw the hemi ford now I am jealous. I have built one very close to that one, only in my head of course.

16. rusty bill

rusty bill

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Man... one day I'll meet the infamous Cass... One day

18. belair

belair

ssstttoooooooppppp!!!! too much cool at once.

19. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Wow!! Thanks for sharing.

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Cass if you are embarrassed about the dust on the cars, I will volunteer to be your car washer!!

Silent Rick thank you very much for sharing the photographs. Simply an unreal life time collection of "neat stuff".

21. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

I've gotten several PM's about what would now probably be called a quarter midget that Silent Rick introduced on this thread as my first car. My father or Santa gave it to me Christmas of 1947. Much later my father told me that he had found it for sale in a gun shop in Chicago and that it was built by a famous race driver for his kids. Of course I never remembered who the famous driver was. Eventually we have come to the conclusion after much research and many interviews that the car was probably built by Emil Andres and Jimmy Snyder. They built several for their family members. Here I am at age 4 or 5 in the car.
    [​IMG]

Here is my dog in the same car

[​IMG]

elgringo71 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. silent rick

silent rick

safety first. it's broken. ha ha ha

23. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Scan10045.JPG Emil Andres and Jimmy Snyder owned a tavern together on the south side of Chicago. Here is a picture I found of Jimmy Snyder with his son in one of the cars they built. The picture is taken in front of the bar. I hope it turns out large enough to see. It is just a very small snapshot that I scanned.

24. silent rick

silent rick

a little story taken from cass' website

The car was push started with no clutch, it had a foot throttle to regulate speed, and a switch to kill the engine to stop. Before driving it my father would tape my pants around my ankle to keep my pants from catching on the revolving drive shaft--safety first. Then he would remind me to push on the pedal to go fast and pull on the switch to stop--safety first. Occasionally he would remind me to watch for cars--safety first. Then after a short push with the choke closed and the ignition off, we would turn the ignition on, he would push the car as hard as he could for about fifteen feet and she would fire up every time. At first the engine struggled and protested as black smoke came from the exhaust. Then it would suddenly clear and off I went to the races. The car was capable of 25 to 30 mph but it seemed like 100 or 200. I kept repeating to myself--push the pedal down to go fast--pull on the kill switch to stop--watch for cars--Billy Vukovich watch out--as I would pilot the car from one end of Mason Street to the other. This went on for three or four summers until I outgrew the car. Seems like yesterday.

Now when my grandsons look at the car and ask to drive it, I look at the gas pedal that made it go faster, at the switch you had to pull to make it stop, and at the revolving drive shaft that would spin between their ankles, I tell them "No, it's broke" --safety first

25. silent rick

silent rick

wow, i just googled the name jimmy snyder. quite impressive. back to more reading

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

of all that is holy and model T with rocker arms. WOW!!

27. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Newport hill climb, from what I have heard from racer friends, if you put together a car that beats certain other established racers, one in particular, your car will be found illegal and banned. Just sayin....

28. We Do do it...........WOW

29. silent rick

silent rick

some of us stopped by cass's shop after breakfast this morning. we had heard he was building a 57 tbird for his wife to drive. not his dad's old car that sits on top of his office, another one he has in the garage back home. we didn't get to see it but i got a pic of the wheels he intends to use. magnesium halibrands at all four corners. cass has the pressure plates and knockoffs too. marge is one lucky lady, i can't wait for this build.
    [​IMG]

cass broke in the rebuild on the 392 in his 50 ford on a single four barrel but has since swapped in out for four more on a factory intake.
    [​IMG]