Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bagged or Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDratRod, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Just because somebody tried something 50 years ago doesn't make it traditional. I can't imagine taking my absolutely 100%, built in the 50s, super HAMB friendly 1935 hot rod apart to put some goofy air bag system in it. You want it......Have at it. And, I don't have to like it. But, most guys, like me, who grew up around hot rods are gonna laugh at you..

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's mighty big of y'all.

3. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

LOL, you certainly picked the wrong forum to inquire about bags - this group is hardly unbiased! If you go to layitlow.com you'll get a completely different response.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really. I have bagged 106 pre-1964 American cars in the last 15-years. Number of request for "traditional builds": 3.

I am happy to help, instead of being a jerk.

5. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Jag xj2 will bring the front down real nice and you gain several upgrades in doing so. You can still pick up jag front ends for. $200 at wrecking yard

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Second-to-last generation Crown Vic might work too. I'd have to check the width.

7. slammed

slammed

Springs for now would get you on the road sooner/cheaper & then save and plan for a air bag system if the lowest ride is what you like. The HAMB is a Hot Rod ( generic clique) & Custom/Kustom forum. By your thread title the nay sayers came locked and loaded to shoot down the system. And that ignore list option becomes a God send. Post some pix when progress is made.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I flipped the rear, and pulled every other leaf in the front on my '63. It was ok for the time I was using it for work. Now, I want to go lower with blocks in the rear and Crown Vic swap in front.

The CV swap gets you power steering, disc brakes and the stance a lot of guys are looking for. The Crown Vic is also a service vehicle (Police, taxis, and government use), that means replacement parts are less expensive. They run about $250-$300 at the part pulling salvage yards. Or you can wait for 50% weekends. And you might have to consider wheels. I don't think I can run my steelies with a CV front end, but I haven't confirmed that.

Flipping the axle in front would never work for me. I only have 4 1/2 inches between the oil pan and the I-beam. I've seen a few, on this site, that did a great job on a front axle flip. So there's a few things to consider.

Good luck with your decision. Art.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus