Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad body work on a show car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gr8ness13, Apr 4, 2009.

1. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was wondering if anyone has ever been at one of the big car shows like GNRS, or Detroit or Sacramento Autorama, and ever noticed some less than great body work on on of the High dollar cars competing for Awards. I am asking because I saw a car this year at several shows and it seamed to me that It had some problem areas. Like some shoty metal work that was covered up by a mural paint job. But to my suprise it has one several awards and been in a couple magazines and a guy at my school just showed me that it won LOWRIDER OF THE YEAR? I know this might not be the best place to ask but is this common? i thought i saw pictures on here of this car also showing the bad metal work. does any one have pics of this? or others that might have somehow snuck past the judges..

This is the car..I know its not traditional but it is a 58..

Attached Files:

2. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

As long as there not being crushed or rotting away in a field.... There Cool..

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

To answer your question ,i have seen lots of high dollar show cars with bondo cracks and waves on them competing.I can find one or usually many flaws in what some people call "flawless paint" on just about any show car i have seen if i try ,but i usaully dont.On the other hand ,i dont like show only cars and wouldnt have one.As was said earlier basically if they are still driven and taking care of by someone who loves them than they are all cool to me...

4. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I've noticed this trend as well. There's a one-day, outdoor show near my hometown, and the friday before the show, there's a "cruise" (more like a friggin' parade if you ask me) and where I usually watch from, the setting sun is glaring on the cars and I've seen some VERY high-dollar rides with wavy bodies, mismatched paint and lots of realy amateur-looking work. My personal thinking is that in the rush to make the big dollar off the gold-chain crowd, people who have no talent are calling themselves bodymen. Lots of guys are leaning on bondo, thick polyester primers and such thinking that's just as good as straight metal, but in the right light, it's not.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Well, you know that's why they started mural paint jobs on cars- to cover up the imperfections of the body, so maybe he's getting props for staying true to the old school?

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

I think your proly right on this.I have seen hotrods that were wrecked in the front repaired and then flamed to cover up the work and keep the existing paint from the doors back .I dont see why murals wouldnt work for cover up as well ...

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I will be sure not to try to hide any parts of my car that come out looking not as good as I would like with murals and such...

But then again,,, I am building a driver, not a show car.... :D and I never have been a huge fan of graphics (apart from flames,, I like flames!) and no murals for sure...

8. Squablow

Squablow

Those "big bucks" show cars are built by people just like you and me, and if you spend enough time scrutinizing, you'll find flaws on pretty much any car.

If you can take one look at a car and decide it's a big bucks show car, they must have done something right. I don't think I've ever seen a car at a show or on the street that had a tag on it saying how much money was spent, or certifying that it is flawless.

9. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

this is another one. it looks good from a distance. but once you get up close you can see all the imperfections. where there's overspray, not paint at all, residue from the color sanding and things not lining up.

[​IMG]

this one as well. it had a big nasty run on the passenger 1/4 panel. orange peel and a bit wavy.

[​IMG]

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

too bad you guys can't be traveling professional judges. that would take the pressure off of everyone. just call you guys in and you can pick out all the flaws and ignore the good stuff...

11. Larry T

Larry T

Ya'll have pretty high standards. I have never built a vehicle that turned out just EXACTLY like I wanted. I don't do paint and body work, but I'm gonna assume the same goes for them. Even if the cars are "high dollar", there are constraints on time and money. Same thing probably goes for chrome work, interiors, etc.
    Larry T

12. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Good, then I wouldn't feel bad getting rock chips DRIVING it.

13. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I not trying to be to critical. I was just trying to see if this is a common thing.I know I could not even come close to creating one of these at least not yet.

14. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

please don't look too closely at my MG if you are ever near it. I did the paint and body myself in my garage - first time ever with a gun. It's painted white to try and hide the flaws I knew would be there. But then I'm not trying to pass it off as a show car either.

15. chopdtop

chopdtop

There was an o/t show truck that was on the ISCA show curcuit that had terrible paint. We joked that if the guy was wiping the truck down and let go of the rag to wave at somebody the rag would stay put because of the metalflake sticking through the clear. LOL

16. It is hard to find good judges these days, except of course, in this post.

17. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Man, I'd like to mural my whole car. But what to cover my crappy mural? lol

18. Algon

Algon

I don't care what the budget is, cars like those shown, should not have amateur flaws on them. Its a bit different when its a driver you build for fun and you don't really care if its dead perfect. If you are chasing trophies and parking on white flooring in doors you should have something worth showing off. These guys deserve whatever reality they get from a trained eye.

Its not always the best man who gets the job, its the best bull shitter with the fanciest looking shop that most yuppies go for. I see this all the time. Thats also why you get guys using Liquid Nails to bond wood into $300,000 show car, that think they are the next Boyd.:D

19. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that maybe I came off wrong on this post I know that there is nothing that is perfect, but the amount of money that sometimes gets spent and time would make me think they could be a little more detail orintated or hide things allot better . I wish somebody would post the picture I am thinking about. I mean the guy took ten years to finish his dream car. I can respect the time and energy that went in to that.

20. this is nice segway into bashing on cars seen at shows.
    hey atleast they try.
    keep it to yourself and move on.

Gratness13, I'm not bashing at you... but yeah this comes up, everyone one's taste is different. Maybe great to others is just ok to you.
    I just move on the to the next car.

It like telling some lady her baby is ugly.

And no I don't some fucked up painted car. I'm just spoutin and you asking for an opinion.
    Maybe sometimes a car's owner is in cahoots with a magazine and that cars seems to be the star?

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

abe,you might have just nailed it!

22. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Segway?
    [​IMG]

23. Sometimes things get twisted up in a hurry.

My ex-father-in-law (shithead), wanted me to paint his Willys jeep truck yellow with black fenders.
    Okay, knowing how people were going to pick my work apart, I was going to put in all the effort needed to get satisfaction. Well, my ex- father-in-law (shithead), hurried my ass up even though I really, really was putting in a lot of time into it. He had the ideer to leave it 'imperfect' so that it would have charactor.

Well, to get him off my ass, I hurried and came out with the purest form of hammered shit you could feast your eyes on.

Then that sonofabitch had the audacity to load me up and take me into town to show off my work! Trust me, i did not want any credit for that.

24. havi

havi

To me, there's no such thing as a show car, only a show off. Some of the best looking cars are driven, and some of the less than best cars are trailered. My $.02

I strive for perfection, but it will always allude me.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was at a cruise spot with my Biscayne. Walked around and came back to my car. An Impala had parked next to my Biscayne. The owner of the Impala was telling people how his Impala was so much nicer than my Biscayne because you could see waves along the body. Some old timer pops up and says, "That's how they came from the factory. His car is more original than yours. You ruined the value of your car." I was standing off, laughing to myself. The owner of the Impala never opened his mouth after that.

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I find it humorous how the show cars are defended for having obvious flaws, but when a car of mine is for sale, it is NEVER good enough to be a show car! Perhaps we need to manufacture a few flaws?

If you are going to show off your car, expect some criticism. If you can't handle the critics, fix the flaws. Is that too simplistic?

27. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

This is FN stupid!!!

28. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

My car is full of flaws.. I dont even know where to begin..

[​IMG]

29. yeah!

30. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

YEAHHHH Abe! ;)