Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

So sorry for the loss of your father. Thanks for sharing that video with all of us. I hope everytime you watch it that it puts a smile on your face and your father's from above.

2. Just keep on doing what you love in your dad's car. He'll always be with you.

3. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Rusty as time goes on it will get less painfull. You did a great thing for your Dad I am sure it ment the world to him to ride in his old hot rod. Very sorry for your loss .I am sure he would want you to drive the wheels off of it this year.

PS LOVE THE STACKS !!!

Trouble

4. little t

little t

sorry to hear about the loss of you'r dad glad to see that he got to ride great job on in it best of future luck with it

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Sorry for the loss of your Dad. You were truly blessed to have him so many years. I only had mine sixteen years and there's hardly a day goes by that I don't think of him some 42 years later. It's a hole in your life that can only be filled by God's love and your good memories. God bless you and your family.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My prayers for you and your family. Losing a father is hard, but I'm glad you were able to bring the Bad Banana back and he could be part of that with you!

7. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Condolances...... now the torch has passed to another generation. I'm sure you know it's your responciblity to prepair the next to recieve it when the time comes.

That's what men do to honor their farther's legacies.

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

It's been two weeks today since dad's been gone. I miss him but I need to move on. We had him cremated so I decided to make him part of the car. That way he will always ride with me on every run. Since he always showed me ways to make something out of nothing I decided to honor him in a way I know he would like.

I took a piece of scrap aluminum that I found in his shop that he probably picked up for nothing somewhere.

[​IMG]

Dad was big into making everything out of other people's scrap. He hardley ever threw much metal material away and over the years made a ton of pretty nice stuff that maybe didn't always look like it was new but it would be fully functional for it's intended purpose. I looked at this old piece of aluminum square tubing and immediately saw what I wanted to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said before, my aluminum welding skills are not great but I was able to accomplish what I needed to do. Weld strength isn't something I really need to worry about on this piece. I just wanted it sealed forever.

[​IMG]

I spent tonight making this piece a permanent part of that old '55 Chevy. It is now mounted in a place that will likely always be there. I think dad would think it was cool.. :D

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's an awesome way to honor your Pops, I'm certain he is proud of you.

God Bless.
    Glenn

10. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i like that idea--good thinkin

11. pumpman

pumpman

That is just freaking great! Your Dad raised one hell of a son.

12. doc's

doc's

I'm sure your Dad would be proud.....probably the coolest car tribute a son could do.

13. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Sorry for your loss. Can't imagine....

Very cool way to honor him. That car is more special now that it has ever been.

DC

14. violet springs

violet springs

I just found out that you lost your dad, I am very sorry for your loss. I think that it great that you will taking him for a ride down the track with you ever time you race.

15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Still looking for these. Might have got lost in the recent events in this thread. If anybody knows where there is a pair... again... condition is not an issue as long as they are not broken in half or something.

PM me if you have something or know someone who does.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's a local guy here who specializes in parting out Tri 5 Chevys. I bet he has what you want. I'll PM you his contact info!

17. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Thanks... I'll give him a call. I was hoping for something a little closer though.

18. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Going through some of my dad's stuff I found some more pictures. These 3 were in an old album I found in a desk. It shows the evolution of the car. First one below is 1964, probably the 1956 Chevy 265 that he put in it just to drive it when he first got the car.

[​IMG]

Second one below is from 1969 with the Hilborn 283. This pic is interesting. This has the valve covers I still have as well as the injector stack cover I have in my trailer right now. Also, you can see the tach and steering wheel through the windshield. Some other things I noticed are the spark plug holders on the frame and the striping on the cowl that I want to restore. You can also see the hole I am trying to plug where the wipers went. The inner fenders are lying down on the front tires. He had hinges on them so you could get at the engine easier.

[​IMG]

And the last one is 1974. Tunnel rammed 327 now with the fenderwell headers. The inner fender hinges are still on the frame at this point but the panels are gone. Homemade hood scoop in the background and you can see the fuel filter on the left frame rail. That same filter is in the same spot today.

[​IMG]

19. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Ohhhh... one more thing. At my dad's funeral someone who I haven't seen in many years showed up. In their possesion they had the remaining 3 original wind breaker jackets that have been missing for so long. I now have all 4 of these jackets and I thought they were lost forever... Word got out that I had put this car back together again and they figured I would like to have them. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Got a set. Thanks for all the PM help finding a pair.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those are great pictures! Glad you found the bezels!

22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I just got back up to speed on this car. I'm sorry to hear that your Dad passed away, but at least he got to see the car back up to running again.
    I heard a rumor that you might be making the trip out for the MELTDOWN DRAGS" I hope you make the trip you won't regret it..

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill.
    www.meltdowndrags.com

23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I did sign up but we have to get the car running yet and make sure it is still in one piece by late July. ;):D

If all goes well we will be there. I hope to maybe take some pics of the car in the next few days with the new look. Putting the engine back in the car this week. :D

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Nice. I'll keep tabs on it and hope to see you in July. It would be cool to see the cars we read about in theads charge down the track.

"MELTDOWN DRAGS"
    July 20, 21 2013 at Byron Dragway Byron Ill www.meltdowndrags.com

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  25. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

OK ... Austin and I worked on it tonight. We got the engine and trans bolted back in it. I am hoping we are a bit more HAMB friendly now and also will fit in at the Meltdown... :D

I will do something with the rear tire lettering (hide it) to make the tires look more period correct later. It is shaping up. Just looks like an old iron headed small block now don't it? (ok ... ignore the damper for now... with the radiator in there you won't see it either.. ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I dig the steel wheels and moon disc's.....looks cool!!

27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Here is where I am. I would really like different rear wheels but funds are low for now. I'll keep looking and we can change those later. Now we just need the weather to break. Don't have the headers on yet but that is about all that is missing on it right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. lorodz

lorodz

Love this car ...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Beautiful weather here today!!! Austin and I pushed this thing outside and lit it off for the first time in 2013. The few fuel system refinements I made seemed to work well. It idles like it should now. We broke in the header paint and topped off all the fluids, set the timing, and brought it clear up to temperature.

Don't tell anyone but we had her out on the road in front of the house for a little dynamic driveline testing as well.. ;):D

Also figured out what to do with the rear tire lettering. I'll try to take pics later. I think it is looking good. Car is pretty much ready to run. Need to start working on the tow rig now.