Register now to get rid of these ads!

Backspacing Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by soda4u2, Nov 11, 2013.

1. soda4u2

soda4u2

I sure hope I'm posting in the right spot! I'm working on a 31 Ford roadster. I want to put a set of 15x8 wheels on the rear with Hurst pie crust slicks, The car has a banjo axel with 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. I'm trying to figure out the best backspacing to get as close to the inner fender as possible without rubbing. Is there a standard backspacing that most people use? Thanks for any help!! I would like to do this right the first time.

2. What's the difference or measurement from wheel mounting surface to inner fender ?
    And is it there a fender to worry about ?

3. soda4u2

soda4u2

IT measures 6 3/4" from the inner fender to the front of the hub. No fenders. look at it on my profile . I'm going to pull the fenders off!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Decide how much clearance you want between tire and inner fender......then deduct that amount from 6 3/4".......next.... what is the dimension from the inner rim edge to the outside of the tire at it widest point?........deduct that dimension from the remainder from above....the remainder of that is the backspace needed.....

for example 6 3/4" minus inner fender clearance (est.) 1 3/4" equals 5" .... minus tire sidewall to rim (est) 1 1/2"....leaves 3 1/2" backspace needed with this computation. Your actual figures may differ, of course, these are just guesstimates.

5. I know how frustrating this can be, sooo
    Just to give you an idea here, with real life parts and applications.
    15x8 "Chinabrand" replica wheels with a 3.75 back space as seen here http://www.jdwheels.com/halibrand-replica.html
    With hurst cheaters 10x31

From the wheel mounting surface to the tire buldge measured 4-5/8"
    So if you put my combo on your car you would have 2-1/8 clearance from tire to fender.

I had my rear end custom narrowed to 57".
    My Vicky measures 44-1/2 from inner fender to inner fender all the way front to back and top to bottom. These are also custom to produce a consistent wheel well which isn't what a Vicky had to start with.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. soda4u2

soda4u2

Thanks for the info!!

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I didn't see a size on your Hurst slicks? Are you running 8" or 10"???? It will make a difference in the back spacing.

8. Fenders

Fenders