Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects back yard find 40 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Mar 8, 2013.

1. harley rider

harley rider

hey cshades you got any 40 grille pieces. dont need the whole grille just a few of the horizontal bars. thanks

2. harley rider

harley rider

the other side. It's been a couple years since I patched rust, so I started with these two spots so I could practice on areas that will be hiding under the fenders.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. cshades

cshades
    from wi

How many bars do you need? I have some grilles that i have bought over the years. I still have 2 trucks to build grilles for so I will have to see what i have for pieces in my storage truck body. The overlap on the back of the cab I use por15 or whatever kind of rust paint and keep brushing it into the top of the seam inside the truck. You really don't need a extra cab for lengthing the cab. I used one because i had a rotten one but i strected mine through the doors so you do need extra doors to do it but with metal work you can do the cab without extra parts. I made mine 6" longer and chopped the top 2" so i ended up adding 7" to the center of the cab. The next one i am going to build in extended cab style, I also have a COE that I am going to make into a 4 door crew cab. You know, in my spare time.... hehe

4. harley rider

harley rider

I think I need 3-5 of the bars I'll look today. thanks for the tip on the seam.I also need the sheet metal chin under the grille. thanks again

5. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Good luck on the chin piece. I have only ever found one that was good enough to use. Most of them were either torn off or rusted out. My 40 i just run without one. The good one i found is going on my 39

6. cshades

cshades
    from wi

If you do find more than one chin piece i would be interested in 2 of them.

7. harley rider

harley rider

that's what I figured.I got out bid on one on ebay last year. seems like most of the 40's I see dont have a chin.is that piece the same as 39? hey post a pic of your 40.

8. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'd build a COE out of it... IMG_6619.JPG

9. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The 39 & 40 trucks are real simular to each other. The chins are the same but the radiator shell, grille and upper grille bar are different along with the dash and windshield crank out regulator. The 40 had park lights on the fenders and sealed beams. The 39 had bulbs with reflectors and park lights inside the headlights. The rear fenders are different on a 39 ( wider) vs 40-46 1/2. The cabs on 39-40 are different than 41-46. The rear window surrounds on 39,40,41 are different than 42-46 1/2. I don't have pics of the 40 on this computor but i will hunt some up if you like.

10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

11. harley rider

harley rider

12. cshades

cshades
    from wi

1940 chevy 006.jpg This is the 46 COE i am going to build when i get the other 2 projects done i have in the shop

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. Slopok

Slopok

I don't think one between your legs is any better.o_O

14. harley rider

harley rider

motorcycle tank between your legs is safer than a tank in an enclosed area you could get trapped in upside down.far more folks got burnt up from tanks inside cars than motorcycle tanks. note cars dont have tanks on the inside anymore but there still in the same place on bikes for 100 years.

15. harley rider

harley rider

finished the hole patching on the cab this winter.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. If you need any random items for this, we have some random parts from our '39 build, in addition to our other weird stuff. I'm happy to help! :D

17. harley rider

harley rider

how about door hinges? or grille parts?

18. harley rider

harley rider

trying to finish up the front suspension. I decided I didn't like the way the upper arms bolted into a slot with a t-bolt.so I changed it to be able to adjust with shims like a GM. still need to make a jig so I can set them squarly and centered. think this will work?

Attached Files:

19. harley rider

harley rider

It's a Roller.

Attached Files:

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans, that looks like it coming together real nice. Makes you wonder if the truck wasn't looking over the fence all these years wishing it could get into that garage where it looked real happy and get the full redo that it is getting.

harley rider likes this.
  21. harley rider

harley rider

Thanks .I believe everything happens for a reason.

22. harley rider

harley rider

started getting some some filler spread out and block sanded, so I can get this thing in primer.and block sand some more. the red lines on the cab is primer running out of the seam round the cab.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

would like to run a 4 speed if I can find one for a decent price.

PM me - I have a 2.20 low Muncie available... :)

24. harley rider

harley rider

I scored a borg warner super t10 that I will be using.I stole this trans from flywheel to shifter for $100.

Attached Files:

25. Roger53

Roger53

Hi You sure did get a nice one to start your build. Finding one that good around here is damned near impossible any more. Roger

26. harley rider

harley rider

finally chipped away the body work to the point I could shoot some primer.more sanding to come. this is only the cab, still have a lot to do.

Attached Files:

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Friend of mine had a '40 pickup, I cut the rear window out and repositioned it 3" lower on the cab.
    Really improved the proportions.
    Good call on the bars/shims at upper control arms. (there used to be a 'kit', I changed a couple over)
    Nice profile with the shortening of the bed...wheelbase is ideal for your power train.
    Kudos on sheet metal work, too.

28. harley rider

harley rider

thanks mike. good idea on the back window. it probably would look good like that.I wish you wouldn't have told me that at this stage. where were you 2 months ago when I was cuttin and weldin.

29. Leakie

Leakie

Looking good HR! Don't you just love bodywork? :)

30. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Was the original tranny a three speed for a 1/2 ton ? and if so what became of it and the bellhousing?