Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back to square one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desoto, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Well, the repaint (last winter) on the '34 was a disaster.

He told me he could match the paint and that got me off my ass to get the sheet metal straightened out. Dave Simard replaced all the rusted panels for me then I drove it 4 hours at the end of November (in New England) to the paint shop.

When I picked it up in March it was the wrong color (84 Mazda Persimmon Red instead of Kandy Tangerine over a Cinnamon Firemist base) and the graphics on the cowl no longer matched the graphics on the rest of the car.

...then the graphics on the cowl peeled off shortly after I got home from Australia so I hadda do a quickie and get 'em repaired (done over, actually…right down to bare metal and start over) in time for the Atlantic Nats 2 weeks later.

Those of you that saw the car this summer know it's red and not orange.

Towards the end of the season sanding scratches started showing up under the paint, too.

Well, the weekend after NSRA – Burlington I started blocking it back down to bare metal.

First thing I did was block it down to the primer and shoot photos to identify the low spots.

So, for all you folks who said I was bluffing, here’s proof that it’s being repainted again. This time it’ll be done right. I HAVE the correct colors (Cinnamon Firemist and Kandy Tangerine) and I have a place to do it (which I didn’t have when I made the arrangements for the last paint job.

So, here’s what it looked like last Saturday.

There’s a lot less paint on it today.

Attached Files:

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I really like black on fords.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, the repaint (last winter) on the '34 was a disaster.
    So, here’s what it looked like last Saturday.
    There’s a lot less paint on it today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that makes us opposite........

Mine has MORE paint than last Saturday......

[​IMG]

And it IS black [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Good point Ryan, but I have seen Skips car painted like that in the mags since I was a little kid!@ Nothing like lost in the 70s [​IMG]?

5. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Sorry to post jump BUT damn Deuce the 40 LOOKS sweet!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

Desoto- I hope you got yer $$$$ back on the crappy paint job...

Totally the WRONG color..??? That's crazy...!!!

7. Actually, he told me he'd paint it for the cost of the paint. The only reason I went for the deal is that I have known him for years. He's a 4 hour drive and he's a good air brush artist. Even when he couldn't get teh paint, teh plan was to shoot a section of the door and computer-match the paint. Obvuiosly, that never happened and when I walked in the door in March all I wanted to do was get the car out of there as soon as possible.

I can't prover it, but I think he let someone else do the paint selection seeing as he was pretty sick w/ diabetes at the time. It looks like someone just picked something close and went with it.

What really frosts me is I only asked for two things. 1, no sanding scratches and, 2, no tape edges. Well, three. Don't touch the craphics.

the tape edge along the edge of the "repaired" graphics (the stuff that peled off a few weeks later) was so thick you could actually feel it THROUGH the clear.

....and then sanding scratches started to appear in the roof where the primer started shrinking.

I wet sanded the clear over the graphics and they, apparently, never went over the car with any kind of adequate cleaner. They painmted right over the dirt in the crevices. Obviously, the paint fish-eyed all around the cracks instead of filling them. Now I have to, not only, sand off teh clear they put on but I have to get down into tehn original clear and "dig out" all the dirt the buried w/o going into the paint under it.

the car's a real mess and, yes, I shoulda left it alone, 30 year old faded paint and all.

...and, as for BLACK cars, my other one was supposed to be the one getting painmted this winter and it's going to be BLACK.

8. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Damn, Skip! I sure hope you can get the paint done almost the same as before. I recall meeting you and the '34 back in '79 at the Canats in Ottawa, then in Winnipeg a few weeks later. I still have my pics of it from back then. It made a big impression on me at the time. [​IMG]

9. I have a pic of your car here somewhere at the Canats in Regina. That was the first real Hemi I ever saw. You were there with Sebatian Rubbo. Will never forget the trophy presentation when he shot through the podium and past the presenters, and then wheeled back in. That must have been 16-8 years ago.

DON'T CHANGE A THING ON THAT CAR!!!!!!!

10. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

man! That IS a shame. That car is an East Coast classic!! Hang in there....... [​IMG]

11. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

What really frosts me is I only asked for two things. 1, no sanding scratches and, 2, no tape edges. Well, three. Don't touch the craphics.

"CRAPHICS!!" that must be a east coast word for the 70's EH! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Looks like you're making headway, Skip....you know what they say.."If you want the job done right, do it your self".Looks like that's just what you're doing. Hope it comes out just like you want it. Keep us posted with photos.

13. Wasn't that 1985? We were there in '80 as well but I think the second CANATS in Regina was in '85. I remember Saby blowing through presentation. He had the highway gears in the quick change and he was idling in first gear.

14. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Deuce, wasn't your '40 the one that got badly rearended by some moronic fukwit awhile back?

If so, it looks great, glad its been fixed!

15. With hot rod preservation being such a big deal these days that color being wrong must have pissed off a whole bunch of folks!

Vans and rods go together like a weiner in a bun! Keep on TRUCKIN' rubber ducky. [​IMG]

16. sawzall

sawzall

skip

my pops and I have been a fan of your car since way back.. I guess he ran with you in sedan delivery's limited? or somethin like that? anyhow I love the car, please dont change a thing.. hope to see you somewhere next year.

sawzall

17. 48bill

48bill

Skip,

I guess that is why they tell us "OLD CARS ARE FUN". Maybe you should have left it alone like I'm doing with my 48 Chev convert down here in CT. Neglect is a word my friends are using. Good luck with your project.

Bill

18. [ QUOTE ]
    With hot rod preservation being such a big deal these days that color being wrong must have pissed off a whole bunch of folks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know if it pissed anyone else but me off but the vast majority of the folks who noticed it'd been repainted noticed it because it "looks darker"

Anyway, here's an update.

Got into wet sanding the cowl and noticed traces of body filler under the primer. Now, I stripped the cowl before I drove it down there ‘cause Dave Simard needed to have clean sheet metal to repair the cracks on the edge of the firewall. I ran it over to Tony Lastella’s, he shot a coat of epoxy primer on it, and that’s the way it was when I headed south.

When I got into sanding it, I noticed that the ON THE COWL RIDGES (on either side of where the hood lacing rests) WERE COVERED IN BODY FILLER. Now, why would these need to be covered?

I wound up grinding all of the body filler off the cowl.

The cowl was, roughly, an INCH wider than it’s supposed to be.

For 30 years, you could see the welds where the rivet holes for the hood lacing had been welded up. Now you couldn’t and I figured they’d been finished off. WRONG! There was body filler everywhere.

Last winter I made a new, stainless, firewall to replace the old, tattered, stainless firewall (the one with all the dash plaques) now it’s too big and I can’t cut it down because if I do, the mounting holes won’t be equally spaced in from the edge. (It’s held on with 6-32 stainless screws every 3-1/2” around the perimeter, just as it was done 30 years ago.)

So much for getting a coat of primer on it before the weather turns cold. I’m still taking apart the mess they made.

Like my friend said last night. "The thing looked like a Street Beast before you stripped it"

19. Here's the right and wrong colors (on the left dogleg with the left rear door open.)

Attached Files:

20. some of the paint chips off the cowl. The only thing holding the paint on was the layer of clear over it. Once that ruptured, the paint peel3d off like the lid on a McDonalds Coke.

Attached Files:

21. and some of the body filler on the cowl

Attached Files:

22. hatch

hatch
    from house

I let my doctor do my heart surgery....everything else I do myself....the best candidate for your paint work is you. [​IMG]

23. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

You know, matching candies is nearly imposible, especially old ones. The idea of computer matching wasn't bad. To get a base that is similar to the old candy seemed like a good idea to me.

I guess when you repaint it, I would practice on a test panel to see what combo of base vs candy matches best.
    It may take you several trys to find the right combo.

Good Luck.

Stogy likes this.
  24. He was SUPPOSED to shoot it and match the color. Instead, he picked a color from the book and painted it an over-the-counter color that was close.

As for matching teh color, I'm leaving the dashboard and header panel alone so I can use them for comparison while I paint (re-paint) the car. Everything else will come down to bare metal.