Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. hasty

hasty

Ouch!
    Sorry to hear about that.
    Please post more pictures when it is up and running

2. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

DAMMNIT Man that suck's Dan.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh no!!! I know EXACTLY where you are at right now! Bummer man!! Keep us posted!!

You didn't really think the thread would just DIE, did you?? ;):D

4. I was wondering why you weren't showing off e.t. slips in the 10's....!

Didn't you get the tri-carb from your brother????

Note to self... I've got to shop for Cool Olds parts from your brother...!

5. So what caused the oil ring expander to break? Installation error or just a bad ring?

6. Shitty luck Dan. Glad you got some time behind the wheel before this. Hope you get it back together soon so you can continue to enjoy it.

7. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man. Yeah, it's one of those things I guess......

Hey, how is your truck doing btw?? I am out of the loop!

I will definitely. I really miss being able to take it out & drive it, it was kind of a tease :)

No doubt! Ruined my day:eek:
    This thing isn't meant to see the light of day, I swear Gregg. If it has to happen, I am glad that it happened way before Daytona. As you know, I have missed 1 or 2 of those:D

If it wasn't for bad luck...... This does make me thankful I can weld, at least there is SOMETHING I can do without issue.
    It definitely helps to have dad & my brother. We are all good in different areas, so between all of us we have a chance at figuring it out:)
    I hear you on the hour or two thing, I get like that too many times. I figure I am at least 1 hour closer to finishing. At least you have the motor ready to go for down the road. Have you been able to get some seat time lately?

What's up Scott?? Yeah, it sucks to take such a step back after being able to drive the damn thing finally. Here's my only proof that I drove it. Id have more but Megan Fox never likes to hold the camera:p:

My only timeslips are pushing it back into the shop:D
    I did get the tripower setup from my bro. The C heads came off the same car the tripower setup came from, so it looks like they will be reunited haha. My brother has all the cool stuff

The heads I have on it are GA heads, so I think the C's will make a nice difference.

I had 2 cylinders with oil control ring problems. The one that broke, I honestly don't know what happened-that one is a mystery-could be my fault, I just don't know.

I had a 2nd cylinder fouling the plug, and when I took that piston out the oil control ring was overlapped onto itself, instead of the ends being butted up to each other. Of course, this make the diameter of the ring smaller, so it's no mystery why oil was getting by the ring. That one was definitely my fault. I have to be very careful this time around!

Yeah man. At least I know the car drives/rides great. Just gotta get it running again...

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

What the heck did you do Dan?? Smokey burnouts?? Geesh, we can't have nothing nice around here!! :D

9. IS there a reason you don't have the machine shop sleeve that hole and put it back together? That would save alot of work preping and painting the new block.
    I feel sorry for you. The decision to take it apart had to be a little painful.

10. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

Dan ive been there before with a project that likes attention. all the stuff eventually works out. i saw your car at billetproof and it is a prize!!!! keep at it!!!

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Yeah Dave, a little fire would not be good! Definitely a better safe than sorry kinda thing. That's cool that you are doing a top insert, that will look great! How are you going to do yours-with an original style vinyl insert? I am anxious to see that!

I'd feel more manly if I hurt it by really cranking on it. The tires still have most of the nubs on them:)

I did think about it. I just couldn't get a 100% positive feeling about it. I'm sure it could be ok, but I let some of the negative things I have heard scare me. Yep, it did hurt a little taking the damn car apart again. But I am starting to get excited to get it back together for sure

Thanks man, I appreciate! Wish I had a chance to meet you @ Billetproof, that was a really great day

12. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I just love to see this thread everytime I run on to it. One of my favorite HAMB Build Threads ever.

BUT....... Damn mechanical problems. Sucks to know when you try to do thing right and have problems. Then guys take total shit boxes and drive them forver?!?!?!

13. Pretty good. Thanks for asking! I hauled a load of mulch with it this weekend, so that was fun, ha!

Great video, by the way! Hey, tell Megan to show a little leg or something on the next one :).

14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thank you for the nice words man, I really appreciate!

Me and my dad have joked about this many times. You can pull a mystery motor & tranny out of a junkyard car, slap it in & run it forever, NO problems:confused:. I may visit the junkyard tomorrow:D

That's great man! Doing anything in a hot rod makes it fun. Hmm, maybe I can try that line on Megan Fox..............

15. Cshabang

Cshabang

I got all excited to see this back up top, and then this!!! I feel for ya Dan...dont get discouraged.

16. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That blows Dan ... but it is a machine & S&%# like that happens.

To bad this didn't happen earlier or if I had known ... I just sold a basic 350 with trick flo heads for $700.00. The heads roller rockers, SFI balancer, aluminum intake & water pump cost more than that.

Keep us in the loop on the progress.

Paul

17. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

hey man, clean your pm inbox!! so i can reply back
    thanks, josh

18. striper

striper

Hmmm, I had missed this update. No good!

At least you got some miles on it. It sounded nice in the video. I know how you feel. I've broken 2 starters in short succession. The second one chewed up my ring gear a bit. So I'm off the road for a new flywheel. The new one arrived together with my new QC so I have a few things to change. It sucks to look at a complete hot rod sitting in the shed and not being able to drive it.

Looking forward to more videos

Pete

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  19. Dan, being the modest young man he is won't post it up so I will. Got some much deserved ink in Summer 2011 Rod & Kulture, pg 48. Coverage is on BP show.

20. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Ha, Bob, this was a GREAT surprise! I had no idea til my dad came by my work today, it was really cool to see. One of those things you daydream about as a kid reading hot rod magazines:D:D This was a great little pick-me-up from my recent mechanical issues, it feels good for me & dad after all the work we did together to get there-that's the best part of it

Yeah Pete, it is a bit frustrating at times my friend. The pain is gone now, & watching the few videos of it running that I have are really making me excited to get back at it-I really wanna drive it again!

I hope your projects go smoothly. It sounds like this will be very good once you get it back together Pete, keep us posted!

Hey Josh, got it cleaned out, sorry about that:eek:. I'll be back over the shop finally tomorrow night after work, I'll pm you that measurement bud

Yeah Paul, it's one of those things. Man, that sbc would be a great start-that's a deal! It is amazing how quickly the $$$ goes into these

Ha, a hot rod mutt-I like it!:D The way you pulled the rest of the body mods off, I know you will make it look like it was built that way. Be sure to post up pics of your progress Dave, we LOVE pictures

Thanks man. Yeah, I was really bummed at first, I was like REALLY???? But I am excited again. My dad found a very promising machine shop in town that I didn't know existed! He does mostly high end race work, and has a very clean & well equipped shop.

From what he found, he thinks that the original block was set up a bit tight with the machine work for the pistons, which would explain some of the issues I was having. He is making great progress on the new block, so I should have that back pretty soon.

With the new heads & everything else being right, I am really excited to see how it runs this time around. 2nd time's a charm??

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WHOA! How did I miss that video! Man! I just love how that thing sounds!! You can't even hear Megan Fox screaming for her life as you're driving down the road! PERFECT! HAHA! :D:D

22. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Dang man, sorry to hear about this misfortune. I'm glad to see you're jumpin' right in on fixing it. That trucks is too cool to just be sitting. Best to you and your dad. Mike

23. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Hey Dan not to bust your ball's or anything . I think it's time to change your avatar.Your car was unfinished so damn long we no what it look's like as a roller.Put up a pic of the whole damn car. Hope you have that motor back together in time for the Turkey run

24. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Yeah Scott, I keep watching that lately, keeps me inspired to get the damn thing running again! This is a perfect date car. You can't hear ANY conversation at all while you are driving.:p

What's up Mike?? No biggie, we'll get it back to good soon. I hate to see it sitting disassembled again. Tell the fellas hello for me Mike, hope all is well!

Gregg, I WAS going to update my avatar, but currently it looks about the same as my avatar again................haha

Yep, the Turkey Run will definitely happen this year. I am honestly happy that these problems didn't wait til the last minute to show up, at least I have a little time to save my pennies & get it done for that

25. Skirv

Skirv

Keep the faith Dan. I want to snap a photo of your RPU, your Dad's roadster, and my piece of junk, together at the Turkey Run this year.

26. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hey Bill, what's going on buddy? We will be there for sure, we are REALLY looking forward to it. I don't know what "piece of junk" you are talking about! Nothing from you will ever fit that description. We look forward to seeing you & your family.

BTW, inquiring minds are wondering how your flathead & sedan are doing????
    I still haven't seen any pics-no pics so it must not exist....................:D:D

27. Wow! I just read this thread from start to finish over the last couple of evenings - great RPU and a ton of inspiration all around right here! I'm not even sure what I was searching for when I found this thread, but I am glad that I did. Perhaps someday as I continue to gather parts and ideas for my RPU project I can get mine to just half the level that this thing is.

Jason

28. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

Hey Dan, sorry to hear/see of the motor issues. Not sure if you remember me and my buddy Steve. Met you at the Billitproof show in Ocala. I have the 65 Coronet hemi car. Did I hear you mention that you are trying to make it to the Turkey Rod show in Daytona? Would be great to see the roadster again, and chat a bit again. I always make it to that show, been going since they had the little show at the airport years ago. Would love you to get a gander at my junk and see what you think. Would be kind of like comparing my Timex watch to your Rolex!! (although my timex tends to run a bit fast with the h.p. under the hood!) Hope things are still progressing well, and hope to catch up with you at the show.
    Bob

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Dan has been working a lot lately and pretty much comes home from work and crashes, plus he has been playing in the band more lately so he never gets any time to respond to the posts. I will make sure he knows there are some comments on here so he can say hi.

Jason, thanks for the nice comments, I'm sure Dan will appreciate hearing them.

Bob, of course we remember you, how have you been? We hope to see you at TR, but my two Sons and I have decided to not take our cars this year............lots of reasons, but mainly we want to just relax there and hit the swap meet, plus we are taking our good old time putting Dan's motor together this time. We found a virgin Olds 455 block and this time we are not using our regular machinist, but had the work done by a local race engine shop. The level of machine work he did is way beyond what we have gotten from any normal machine shop in the past, and the block came back looking great.

We have the short block done, and just have to degree the cam and finish putting it back together. Dan is wrestling with maybe changing the color of the block, so that kinda has us on hold for now. Here is how the block looks right now.

[​IMG]

My other Son Don has been saving a set of C heads off of a 66 tripower 442 for about 20 years, and he gave them to Dan to use on the new motor. We had the same race shop do them, installing the biggest SS valves they could fit in, doing the guides, replacing the umbrella seals with machine fit seals, new springs and keepers, etc. Here are a couple of pictures of how they came out,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are so glad we found this shop, they are a little slow, it took about 6 weeks to get the block back and 2 months on the heads, but we were in no hurry, we just wanted them to be right this time.

I'll kick Dan in the tail and tell him he needs to make time to check his thread once in a while. :D

Don

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  30. LUCKY DEVIL 13

LUCKY DEVIL 13

Man you guys do some absolutely amazing work!!!! Dan the RPU is BADASS!!!!!