Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

What is SEM Hot Rod Black....who makes it?

2. I like the idea that since these rails will be exposed you wanted them to look good........and they do.
    What is the cost of getting these made be?...and if you don't wont to say exactly, then was it expensive?
    To me, it's what sets this frame apart from the rest!!
    Very well done so far!:D

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thank you cactus1! That is my pop's roadster, he's had it done for a couple of years now. Neat car, it's been really a fun reliable car for him. I don't have any great pics on this computer, but here's one with a little better view:
    [​IMG]

And a couple with a LOT better view. Can't let him out of my sight for a second:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No problem my friend, I get derailed all the time:p

How is your truck coming along? I'm not even worrid about the grudge match now, I just wanna get my rpu done & take it to the beach:D:D

Jeff, here's a link to it:
    http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=270

Really was nice stuff to spray. I really like the gloss level, it is not too flat. It is a single stage pre-flattened, and is reasonable. About $70 for a quart kit, which gives you 1.5 quarts total when mixed up. Includes the paint(w/flattening agent mixed in), reducer, & hardener.

In all honesty it would be tough to buy flattening agent for single stage alone for much less, so it's a pretty good deal IMO.

I know satin black has a bad rap with lots of people, but I still think it looks great if done well. Some of my favorite hot rods are satin black, I like the attitude it gives

Thanks man. Wow, that picture reminds me how far I have come in the project!

I thought they would look swoopier than just angle cutting some rect. tubing
    . They were about $400 to have bent to my specs- I don't remember exactly, it's been a couple years since I had them done:eek:

Autoweld has always been good people to deal with too

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Dan,The top is looking great and I really like your dads modified. He had a really cool build thread on it on another forum.

5. No problem my friend, I get derailed all the time:p

How is your truck coming along? I'm not even worrid about the grudge match now, I just wanna get my rpu done & take it to the beach
    :D:D

My truck is over at Hot Rod Chassis getting the chassis built. Should be up on the table now. mmuuuuhahahaha:D (rubbing hands together)

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Dan for the info..I am looking into this for my 32 project...as i want to go gloss black in the end.. but would rather work and drive my project at the same time before final paint.... just to iron out any bugs or gremlins along the way.
    Dan... excellent thread and outstanding work.
    thanks very much.

7. your second photo illustrates the 'balance' well, ditto on the roof, progress looks great......gloss black is calling...;):D think of your fathers paintjob as a 'warm up' effort, in preperations for the real thing:D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thank George. Yeah, my dad's T has been a great little car. It's still hard to believe that he finished it almost 3 years ago-where does the time go??

Oh man, that is cool! Have you posted up any pics yet?? We love pics!

No problem Jeff, and thanks a ton for the nice words. What are you working on now? I have somehow missed this! Since you have the truck done, it must be a coupe, roadster, or sedan..... I need to check this out

Thanks Drewfus, I appreciate. In all honesty, I couldn't picture my dads car painted any other way. It is tough to photograph, but wow in person the car really looks great, tons of attitude.

My biggest obstacle with shiny paint for mine is coming up with 4-5G for a mid-grade job:eek:
    I will gladly accept donations:D:D

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I got a little more done on the rpu. I decided to redo the hinges a bit on the tail gate. I drilled the rivets & took them off. I want to have the hinge straps chromed, and wanted to drill some holes & neaten them up a bit.

Once I got them off, I first rounded the edge to get rid of the funky crooked triangle look. Here's a before & after:

[​IMG]

Then I drilled some holes & temp mounted them up-way better I think, should look cool chromed. Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

Then I finished up the top, it is no longer clamped together:p. Once I did that, I used up a mile of masking tape to get an idea of the profile-I think it will work ok. Here's a couple pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's about all for now. Slow progress, but progress none the less. Thanks for looking guys!

Dan

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  10. Skirv

Skirv

Holy smokes that looks good Dan. The prfile of the top really looks nice as does the detail work on the hinges. PS - I know how you are and if you don't round the corners on the bottom end of the hinge (right above the bottom bolt) it will bother you later and you won't be able to sleep at night :D

11. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

how do you take that pile of masking tape and make a top out of it? use it as some sort of template or what?

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dan the top is looking pretty sweet, I did the same with the tape, gives you a better idea of shape. Hinges look way better too :)

Now get some paint on it and put it together as i wanna ride next time i come over :D

Sue sends her love to you all

13. Danny, I've used one of those tops on a job and modified it to get it how I liked it too. Also didn't have to fold so I welded it rigid.

Looking great as usual for your good self.

14. Silva

Silva

Dan,

I dont know how i've missed this post for so long...just ran across it this morning.

Outstanding work, very detailed,Wow!

15. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Dan .... top looks jam up. As for the hinges .... just YOUR usual detail work!

Paul

16. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Bill,
    What's going on with you? Me & my dad were just talking about you, all good of course:p

And actually, I slept fine last night! You are right, I DID look at that on the hinges. I thought "hmm, I could cut this off with a cut-off wheel, round the corner, & weld it back on.

But I am also growing tired of spending a week on every bracket-I wanna drive the damn thing already!!

As a good friend once told me, sometimes good enough is good enough:D:D

I am glad to hear from you Bill, hope to see you real soon!

I am actually gonna USE the masking tape as the top. Way cheaper:eek:

Haha, actually you probably could use it as a template though. It really did help to see what it would look like instead of guessing. Lots easier to make changes now instead on after its stitched up for sure

What's up man? What do you mean you want a ride?? If you were a real friend you would hop on a plane and help me finish it:p

Are you & Sue coming back this year? I hope that you can make it, we'd love to see you again. Maybe if my car still isn't done you can push me around the block in it.

Tell Sue we said hello!

Thanks man! Yeah, I couldn't make it look right by leaving it folding. The side window opening was funky looking. I honestly would never fold it anyways really

Kevin, thank you! Hopefully SOON it will resemble a car again. Have I mentioned that I really want to get this done finally:eek:

17. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hello Paul! Thanks man, I really like the top. The car looks bare to me without it.

And my level of detail is diminishing as my desire to finish this increases. Thankfully pictures are forgiving!:D

18. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Hey Dan, based on those beach pics, your Pop has it goin on...you may need to move his stuff up front a little more often!!:D

Awesome job as usual, thanks for the update.:cool:

19. lorodz

lorodz

top looks sweet...

20. Gloss Black... copy cat..!:D

This is what Mike did to it in three weeks!!!!:eek:

Not bad for a slam dunk... hahaha!

Can't wait to see yours done and running... chop chop!

Attached Files:

21. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Have I ever said this RPU is a Bad Mother F*^#@r !!!!

22. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Holy smokes, that looks AMAZING! Do you still have a key for it??:p Seriously, couldn't look better-wow!

It would take me 3 weeks to sand primer...............

Thanks a ton man, I really appreciate that! I feel that way times 100 when I look at your website. A dragster is SO on my bucket list. I looked again at your site & again feel weak in the knees, damn that "1959" has my name on it:D:D

23. [​IMG]

Black seems to work for you guys! Good looking hotrods!

24. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Nice progress, you and your dad are blessed to have each other.

Keep it up!!!

25. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Man this is one bad ass rpu... I realy dig the detail it's the little things that makes it grate thanks for posting this build....I'm getting ready to start my build this will give me some insight as to what I want to do with mine.... I realy like the frame....

26. Love the truck, love the top,. maybe try a slight more rake on the rear of the window opening.

27. Unfortunately that was the very first thing he did... the old one was a cheapie aftermarket which the key would fall out on every bump!

I'm so glad to have it go to a good home... and you'll have a chance to run against him if you two can make it to Mokan!

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

awesome. I'd like to say something, and I mean it from the very bottom of my heart...

I hate you.

(kidding, just really jealous of the talent you display.)

29. Stand in line fella... on all counts...! Hahaha...!

30. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Haha yep, sometimes Henry's rule of colors works pretty good:p

Actually I am the blessed one, my dad got the bad end of the stick:D
    Seriously though, you are absolutely right. I get to do something that I love, with my dad-it's a win/win. I am glad that my dad isn't into beenie babies!

BTW, how is your sedan coming along??

Thanks a ton man, I really appreciate. Sometimes you wonder if you are nuts to spend stupid amounts of time on every little bracket, most of which you hardly see. You just have to keep telling yourself that the end product will be better.

As much time as I spent on the frame, so little is visible with the body & bed on, it's crazy:eek:

Thanks man. I got your pm about your kwik-top experience. I'm glad I am not alone. It really took a lot of changes to get it usable for me too. The side window opening was my biggest issue too.

It's a little tough to tell, but the rear panel is raked forward a bit. If I rake it any more, the back bow is sitting on top of my head! Since my body is not the extended version, the cab is really tight for room.

I am going to make the back window area unzip, & honestly will probably have it unzipped 99.99% of the time. If I was a taller guy it would be a little tight inside with the top, being channeled makes it a little tough

Dammit man. We can work around this:p

You have to be happy though, seeing that the car is in a good home! It sure looks great in paint!

I wanna run against this sooner or later. I want to see if all the holes I drilled make a difference:D:D

Ha, don't feel bad, I hate me too. There must be some medication that could correct this:eek:.

I am much more persistent than I am talented, plus I am thankful that pictures are forgiving!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010