Register now to get rid of these ads!

B&M Street rod shifter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 hudson, Mar 26, 2011.

1. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Has any one used one ? Good or bad experiances with it. Needing a shifter for 700r4 in my coupe.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never used one but checked the instruction sheet and it looks like a pretty solid setup. I'm not too hip on the supplied knob but it looks like you could replace that.

http://www.bmracing.com/street-rod-Shifters/Street-Rod-Shifter click on instructions and check it out if you haven't already done so. An outfit that posts the link to their instruction sheets in their add so they can be downloaded rates a + from me no matter what they are selling.

3. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I have one in my 35 coupe, it has been in there for over 35 years and replaced the cable once. I am happy with it.

4. luxloco

luxloco

jus bought one this week . receved it yesterday ,looking to put it on tomorrow. hardware looks easy to install

5. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Thanks for the replies guys.

6. t-rod

t-rod

Are you interested in the shifter like Speedway's P/N 200-81010? If so, it only fits the TH350.

7. I got one, for a 350 turbo, in my '46. Works good. Ugly knob. Better priced than a lot of them...

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

anytime you use a cable shifter, make sure you have a good ground to the engine and the frame, burned up a cable once

9. 32 hudson

32 hudson

t-rod yes that is the same style shifter, but my trany is a 700r4.

26 roadster tahanks for that tip/ reminder. I think i have heard that before. probably on here but had forgotten.

10. lawman

lawman

Have one in my Grandson 38 Chevy truck.Works great. Hate that Knob and
    I'm trying to make a new one now.Why they made the Knob 1/2 fine is anyones guess.The Knob and having to make a bracket to move the shift handle over to the passanger side about 3" for driver leg room to the gas pedal.As was stated they are for the TH350 only.

Attached Files:

11. 32 hudson

32 hudson

B&m Part # 81013 is for 700r4 as identified in MR48chevy post above is for 700r4. Not shown in speedway catalog.

Well I did not know that knob is 1/2 fine thread. so that makes it dificult to just replace I guess. The knob is ugly.

I also need a floor mount e brake handle and I see B&M does not have one. I guess a lokar style or original ( model A type) could be made to mount to the trany also. Any sugestions on that ?

12. 32 hudson

32 hudson

13. harley rider

harley rider

just bought one for 39 sedan .easy to install, works good .so far I like it.

14. harley rider

harley rider

pics.

Attached Files:

15. indyjps

indyjps

never used the street rod, but have owned 6 B&M shifters in different cars with autos. always worked well, need to route your line carefully, Ive striped cables that were run with too tight of a radius. Ended up going to boating supply store and getting a cable made it was approx twice the diameter.

16. t-rod

t-rod

Every B&M shifter I've seen is 1/2 fine, maybe so they can corner the market on replacement knobs. I made a wood one to match my dashboard.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Only problem I saw with the one my friend used was it didn't have very good detents. He could easily push it a bit too far and go from Drive, through neutral into reverse! If you are just using it as a driver, and not shifting it as you go through the gears, it will probably be fine.

18. Master of None

Master of None

Yep, I had a friend with one. He didn't like how shallow the detents were either. I sent a hour messing with linkage, and adjusting the shifter so that he would tolerate it. Good for street use but if you like to play with a shifter(racing) I would go with something else.