Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ayala-Barris Jack Stewart 1941 Ford RESTORATION has started.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Aug 31, 2010.

1. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

great job looks awesome!!!

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Just fucking incredible seeing this restoration.

3. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

4. Looks GREAT Palle........can't wait to see it at the GNRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks really beautiful.Great job,man!

6. After following along with this thread and the amazing work you have been doing, I cant wait to see the car at the GNRS !!!

7. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

thanks Guys i really appreciate the nice words!..and i cant wait to see all of you at GNRS.

Craig..i have a couple of things, where i need your help! i am gonna email you about this!

we will work hard this week, only 9 days before shipping!

-palle

8. Yes Sir........whatever you need I'm here......cw.

9. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

thanks..you better find your old tools again! ha ha

i will email today or tomorrow, I need to talk to Rik first!
    seeyah
    -palle

10. Tools ready to travel = lettering brushes, paint, ladders, saws, hammers.....
    where & when?

11. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

this part of the car was actuelly exstra difficult. i had a hard time to figure out which parts i needed, and where to find them.
    and in order to keep as much of the original, i had the original bezels around the gauges chromed. it is aluminum, but it worked fine. also the gauges are the old ones.
    the 48 mercury sign is the original one Bob Drakes gave me in 2010..thanks Bob!
    this is one of the things that gives the car this 51 wibe..including the smell from the original interior.
    come check that out in january..
    the dash will be painted by Martinez, in the original 51 color. we found a paint chip inside the door, and we cut out a piece of the door, and shipped it to David. he's now working blending the right color for the dash, and later the car!

the radio..i couldnt figure out what radio it was, and asked on the fordbarn..and the answer came quickly..I dont know what to do without all these helpfull boards thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i tried to find the rubber mats, but nobody knows where to look. please let me know if you have some.

[​IMG]

stay tuned
    -palle

12. This is just awesome Palle. You´re doing a great job.

13. Looks great Palle. So cool that you still have the original interior. Redone interiors seem to be too perfect compared to what you see in the pictures from back in the day so it is nice to see a restoration that has the original.

14. Karl stark

Karl stark

Palle, you are amazing in how much effort you have expended to keep this car as original as possible. However I don't understand why the dash is giving you so much trouble. According to the caption under the magazine article you should be able to make those dash revisions for a very reasonable $45.00

15. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

ha ha...Karl i tried..but nobody picks up the damn phone!

16. Looks like the mats were a pre-formed rubber floor mat, meaning, not custom made. Probably an early aftermarket accessory?

There are a couple of suppliers of that rubber material with the diamond pattern, but it is sold in roll form, without a finished edge. you might be able to make the mats out of the roll rubber material, and then have the edges covered / bound like carpet usually is on a custom interior?
    -just a thought...

17. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

hudsoncustom...i looked for something like this!

cool add by the way..

[​IMG]

18. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

finally all the wiring is done. its a great sight when you see this the first time

[​IMG]

sorry for the blurry phone pic

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic work Palle! I'm confused as to why you upholstered and wired before paint, but then again, I don't know much. Very impressive restoration.

20. He is shipping the car to LA for the GNRS and is trying to get as much done as he can for the show.

21. Rikster

Rikster

K13 is right. The car will be shipped to the US on December 4. The car will be displayed at the GNRS in January 2013, all bare metal.

This mile stone custom car is really unique because most of the work has been done by the Ayala shop, and was later fine tuned by George Barris. Then later on in its live it was again fine tuned by Bob Metz.

So what are the chances of seeing such historical body work in bare metal.... on one single car. This car is unique. So along the way it was decided to share this wonderful bare metal body work with everybody who wants to see it at the GNRS.

And yes it does not really make sense to have it all wired and upholstered now and paint it later. But it will be just very cool to have the car mostly completed except for the final body work and paint.

Here are some bad pictures I took of the new wires. I planned to make some better photos on the try-pod but never got around to do that on my quick visit last weekend when I picked up my Jack Stewart Ford books from Palle.
    But the photos do show the nice cloth wrapped wires that where used were ever they could be used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are still a ton of details that need to be done, like the hose clamps and even the hoses. And all that will happen, but perhaps after the car arrives in the the US in January.

22. spinner

spinner

hi i have seen pictures of shipped cars before . i am sure you done somthing to protect the car from rust . i would be worried about a metal car and the salt water.

23. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

spinner your right! the car is prepped with Eastwood afterblast. it works fine. i dont know if its good enough for the long trip over the pond..I just have to hope for the best!

today was the last day with the car!..we spend the day buffing the car, and polishing the metal.
    after that, we sprayed it with the afterblast..its smells like something that really works!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the wellknown..Kirkegaard on the left helping Bill spraying and wiping the car.
    for some reason the lead, changed color to a brighter tone..it can we wiped of later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres the trailer i loaned from my good friend Jorgen..he's good some nice cars himself! check it out....www.strojersamlingen.dk

[​IMG]

24. Can't wait to see this in January!!!

25. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

caint wait to meet you guys!
    -palle

26. This Ayala beauty looks great.Looking forward to seeing this car again.I really wish this could of been at Customs then and now in this condition.What a great job you guys have done.

27. These old cars certainly have souls. It is like transporting back in time. Great job and wish I could make it across country to see it.

28. wow, wish I could make it down south to see it ! everything looks great !

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on getting it to this point. People at the show are going to love it!

30. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I am so happy to be able to see this in person...and meet some great people.