Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Axle bells.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gurt74, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Gurt74

Gurt74

So, I'm going through my 35 ford rear axle bits. The bearing surface of one of the bells is worn in one place. Was hoping to turn it down in the lathe and sleeve it. I have seen the sleeves for sale, but would rather make my own. I'm just not sure what material to make it from? En8, En24 or something different ? Or should they be hardened ?
    Thanks .

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oj

oj

You must be speaking of out at the end, the outside? Probably easier to get another bell but if you did sleeve it with chromemoly keep in mind that all the weight of that corner of the car is being supported by that stub. I'd do careful measuring to determine how thick the metal is to see if you can safely remove some. Could you weld it up and then turn down the weld?

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

If you have a 35-36 axle just flip them side for side and you will have a fresh surface on the bottom for the bearing to ride on.

deucemac likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that was probably the standard fix on those.
    I've been wondering about having the surface metal sprayed to build it up and then machine it yourself. If the shop that metal sprayed it would go for that. I used to send industrial shafts that the bearings rode on out to have them metal sprayed and machined back to spec quite often with pretty good results in the harsh environment they had to work in.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As Alchemy said these are the only bells you can flip over side for side and put the hopefully unworn top of the left on the bottom of the right.