Register now to get rid of these ads!

Average cost, parts + machining, to rebuild a flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ruttencutter, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ruttencutter

ruttencutter

Can anybody give me a ballpark on what it will cost me in materials, and machining if necessary, to rebuild a 49-51 flathead for my shoebox?

Thanks,

-S

2. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

My flatty ran $1800 to machine and assemble, and I supplied the following:

Intake
    Heads
    Cam & Lifters
    Valves
    Water Pumps
    Timing set
    New headbolts
    Oil pump
    Full gasket set

The machinist had to go through 3 blocks before finding a good one, and through the three donor motors he was able to salvage one good crank and 8 good rods. The machinist also fully relieved the block and balanced everything on the bottom end, which I would suggest.

The main factor for the price is how wild you want the motor to be. The crazier you get with stroker kits and specialty parts the faster the bill stacks up, as with any motor rebuild.

3. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

leadsled, I would say you got away fairly reasonable.

The problem now days is finding a shop that will take the job on. Most rebuild shops shy away from custom engine rebuilding (especially flatheads) because they need to use some special jigs/tooling to do the job.

Then add the fact that many of the old timer machinists aren't around anymore.

Parts; now days they can cost more than the machine work. Flathead pieces and parts have steadily gone up in price. Even with the bigger number of specialty companies making the parts again.

Hey, remember they stopped making these 'ole birds almost 50 years ago! But .. I still love 'em!!

4. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i've got around 4 grand in mine and i haven't put it together yet [​IMG]....but i went for alot of chrome and fins [​IMG]

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I have almost 5000 in mine. I supplyed the block-heads-intake-heads-lifters-alum.timing cover-oil pan.

builder supplyed
    ross pistons
    4 1/8 crank
    400jr cam
    balanced
    SS 1.6 chevy valves
    speedway pumps
    guides-springs-keepers.....
    rebuilt 21a rods
    rings
    bearings
    gaskets
    full flow oil mods.
    oil pump
    baked tumbled pressure test block

could have built two or three chevys,but what would be the point [​IMG] Greg

6. 29SX276

29SX276

Well now,I supplied a good block and a Merc crank,set of pistons,400 Jr cam,adjustable lifters,Lincoln valve springs,aluminum timing gear,finned heads and a 2 pot intake.That cost about $1700.00.The engine shop hot tanked and magnafluxed the block,turned the crank and done a bunch of other machining(overboring),put it all together and balanced it.That cost $2000.00;so the mill's into me for about $3700.00 Canadian and I haven't bought pumps yet;figure I'll have $4000.00+ in it before it runs.I figure I still got a good deal though!Best part of this build is that we still have an engine shop in town that rebuilds flatheads.There are still a number of old Ford powered grain trucks around here;we're thrifty out here!! [​IMG]

7. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

My list of parts and pieces looks the same as most of you have listed. BUT I went a bit "overboard" with a couple of things. ($$$$)

The 4" Merc crank has been lightened and polished by Mike Bishop (av8) to reduce any stress risers. (don't ask what THAT cost!!)

Then the tops of the Ross pistons have been Ceramic coated, and the skirts "Dry Lubed" (a special coating that stops scuffing but does not add to the dimention)

French connecting rods, (identical dimentions to a Merc or Ford rod)

Then the crank, rods AND the BLOCK have been stress relieved by a fairly new process called "Meta-Lax" Check it out here..

http://www.meta-lax.com/no_flash/PDF/race.pdf

Then for the "icing on the cake" a SCoT supercharger!!

Price tag so far (remember SCoT's are rare) I estimate around $25,000.00 US.

8. Rusty

Rusty

Can somoene say Small BLock Chevy- CHEBBY-Chevrolet as in 235-283-327-350. Old school look $1000.00 and go wherever you want and find parts at your local parts store.

9. repoguy

repoguy

Holy crap!!!

I won't be building a flathead anytime soon!!!

10. Spottty

Spottty
    from Calgary

Yikes, I was thinking about a flathead but I think I will have to put that on hold!

Dave, I had no idea you have that much into your flathead. Thats scary!

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

You'd be amazed about how fast the costs add up if you go for the good stuff.
    Chevy 1.6 valves are actually cheaper than the klunky ford valves but I needed new seats. Had to sleeve a cylinder. Bore to 3 5/16" Isky cam, new lifters springs, keepers, etc.
    Of course I had to have those Ross pistons and a good set of rings. Gasket sets, Big Bore gaskets, new water pumps, all kinds of small shit and that's not to mention intake, carbs, carb kits, linkage, ignition, Merc crank and rebuild for it. Starter, fan, generator, and heads. When I get all that done, I'll need a belhousing and clutch to mount up to my T-5 tranny. All together, the engine will cost more than the rest of the car. Want cheap? get a Chevy from Autozone.
    It'll kick my flathead's ass any day of the week for about twice what I paid for the pistons. [​IMG]

Archiewest likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You can rebuild a stock flatty for around 2500-3000.
    As you can see...the price goes up when you want to get fancy. If your into flatheads. It doesn't have to be the best of everything right off. Don't let those prices scare you off. Stock rebuilds aren't that bad. In fact... alot of goldchainers are pulling good runners out everyday to put their chevy in. Yuk......

13. plan9

plan9

i see good money in performance flatheads CHA-CHING...

its great seeing different motors out there, flatheads are intriguing to look at, and read about (ARDUN conversion!!). the money digger dave has invested will most assuredly bring smiles as well as spark interest in spectators... spreading the *ITCH* as it were.

flatheads are deffinately in my near future, just need to finish up a project first.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You might get lucky. A lot of people tried to talk me out of buying this motor. "It's probably cracked, you'll have to rebuild it anyway, etc." But for the price I couldn't pass it up. Late Merc. Plopped some diferent heads and pumps on it and I'll be driving in a few weeks.

I'd definitely call it a base model. Pretty much stock right now except for the heads. It gets a cam and intake next year after it has a few miles on it.

Attached Files:

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

yup ...it a high price to pay for 130-160hp...

first i bought a running 59a with low oil press for 300.00

proceeded throw everthing away but the block by the time its runnin again ill have about 5k in it....

all you guys wineing about sbc's being belly button.... its kinda hard to beat something that is a third of the cost and produces at least twice the power... and lasts three times as long... and kragen still has parts for if you break on the road......need i mention they have been around since 55???

the car im building wouldnt be right with a chev , but if i did it again i think i would buy that 400 dollar hood and put a 1,000. chevy in it and build another car withth money left over

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My flatty is as close to original as you could get.
    Threw a few bling blings on and a couple of carbs and there you have it. I Have just recently made the trip to the Nationals...800 miles.... No problems..
    I just wonder if I had 5000.00 tied up...would I be driving it like that????
    Dont invest too much otherwise you'll be afraid to have fun with it and do what they're built to do. Drive....man drive it.

17. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

I thought about building a flatty for a future project. But Yikes!!! All that money for 80hp to 100hp. I love the flatty look, but I also want to be faster than a hybrid. Another rocket or nailhead might be in the works now.

18. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    ....I just wonder if I had 5000.00 tied up...would I be driving it like that????
    Dont invest too much otherwise you'll be afraid to have fun with it and do what they're built to do. Drive it....man drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Petejoe, I agree. But the challenge of making a flatty PERFORM is what got me started. A lot of the specialty parts I have, are not much more than what most of the other guys have invested.

The SCoT is probably the single MOST EXPENSIVE part of the whole motor. And a blower on a flathead is the single biggest "kick in the ass" you can give a side valve engine to improve performance.

All the special treatments (ceramic coating pistons, stress relieving etc.) came by way of my contacts in the engine building business and are being done to test how much improvement we can squeeze out of the 'ole flattie.

Am I going to drive it? You can bet your sweet ass I am!!!

19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    You can bet your sweet ass I am!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a "Turtle" Dave? [​IMG]
    All the younger guys are saying "Huh!"

I think Dave's like me, doing a flatty just because it's fun to squeeze blood from a turnip. Pulling the front wheels 2ft on the launch or laying down a 10 second quarter are fun but you reach a point where other things have value too. Performance is what you make of it and fun is where you find it. The thing is to do what you like.

You get one shot at life, DON'T MISS!

20. flatoz

flatoz

All the chebby guys are scratching their heads collectively saying why [​IMG]

I say coz we can! [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 25k invested into my 454 running 7's, you're right I would be saying why. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I still respect the hell out of you flatty guys! You're like the little engine that could.

Archiewest likes this.
  22. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]What will all the billet dressup stuff cost for the chevy?

23. lilbill

lilbill
    from arkansas

how much would it cost to just do a "shotgun" rebuild?
    rings, brgs, valve grind on a running tired motor ??

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Now this Chevy guy has the right idea!!
    That engine will outlast that body. [​IMG]

25. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    how much would it cost to just do a "shotgun" rebuild?
    rings, brgs, valve grind on a running tired motor ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've done it for $300.00. That's without any "go fast" goodies.

26. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 25k invested into my 454 running 7's, you're right I would be saying why. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I still respect the hell out of you flatty guys! You're like the little engine that could.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the reason us flathead "crazies" keep trying to make it "Go Better!"

Anyone can throw money at a Chev (done it myself) but the challenge of making an old piece of technology run better, faster and reliabley is more fun to me.

Plus, nothing looks better in a "hot rod!"

27. [ QUOTE ]
    That engine will outlast that body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...now I need to buy a new keyboard after pewking all over my current one...wtf...how can you dis a 57 man?lol I too wanted to rebuild a flatty but looks like it won't be a some time because that shit is expensive as hell! I would bet that the Jimmy Shine trad blinger motor must have cost over $50 g's with the Ardun heads AND SCoT blower....all for 320 horsepower and 340 lb ft give a take a few...that is nice if you are rich but I'll take a 283 over that anyday at this point...

Greg

28. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I think Dave's like me, doing a flatty just because it's fun to squeeze blood from a turnip.

...Performance is what you make of it and fun is where you find it. The thing is to do what you like.

You get one shot at life, DON'T MISS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Joe, when the "gun" gets shorter; you just HAVE to try the imposible!!

Just to clear the air for the others; a SCoT blower (original) with all the accesories, is worth about 15 - 18 thousand $$$ now days.

NOW, if I could find a set of Ardun heads.........(for less than the cost of the Hope Diamond!! ) [​IMG]

29. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, hell has finally frozen over!!!

Touché

30. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, hell has finally frozen over!!!

Touché

[/ QUOTE ]no no no that is just the latest makeover of parts to make a chevy small block look like a flathead ,lots of guys are running them [​IMG]