Register now to get rid of these ads!

Avatar - How did you make your choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3rd Gen Hot Rodder, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

I apologize up front if a thread like this has already been done. I searched through 3 pages of threads with Avatar in the title and did not see one that headed in this direction...

I spent alot of time picking out my avatar. To me it is a representation of who I am. In my case, it is a photo of my late Father (at age 12) standing next to my late Grandfather. I found out very recently that it was taken by our local newspaper in August of 1957 for a lead story about my Grandfathers success in the World Series of Drag Racing. Both the homemade dragster and the 32 roadster are still in our family.

Did you spend alot of time picking yours? Is there history behind it that you would like to share.

Thanks for your time.:)

2. Mine kinda choose me

3. phukinartie

phukinartie

Welcome
    My avitar is my wifes 51 plymouth wagon, I bought the car to flip for a tidy sum I might add.When I got the car before I picked it up the guy gave me the title I forgot it at my house so I come in the drive and my wife comes running out like Fern on charllote's web saving it from the butcher. We got it running DP 90'd it and did a plaid interior as it sits it gets about 19 mpg with the flattie an O/D all her money too

4. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

cool family history you got going.......sounds like the torch was passed burning bright.

I picked myself as an avitar so people i offend will know who to sucker punch at events ! ! kinda keeps me in check ! ! as dose the hamb chapel brothers ! Have fun in the hobby dude !

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I drew mine. Always liked Channeled Deuce's done in a Mid-Late 50's style so that's spewed out when I put the Wacom Pen to Tablet.

6. Dusty56

Dusty56

I was sent a photo of my coupe and just liked it...as said above, if I offend any one they can find me for a 'discussion'!

7. Dutchoven

Dutchoven
    from Reno, NV.

Hrmmmm.........kinda just worked out......and a cooking pot is traditional....but this seemed to fit better.

8. boldventure

boldventure

Mine is a watercolor I did. Took the photo and thought it would make a neat watercolor.

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I worked for Bear Mfg. back in the late 70's building wheel balancers. I figured since it was an automotive icon in the good old days it would make a good avatar. Another good business ground into dust under the heel of corporate greed..........

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

My Avatar is my 33 ford pickup it was an easy choice... It was my Dad's truck, he got it in December of 1953 and started making a hotrod out of it. He chopped it 4 inches and he had channeled it 5 inches. He put a flathead in it and then it sat in the garage from 1964 until 2002 when he tore the old garage down. It sat outside until 2004 when he gave it to me. I rebuilt it and put it on a 32 frame. I got it running in August of 2008 and Dads birthday was August 27. Went over and picked him up and we went cruising in the pickup. It was the first time Dad every got to ride in the Truck that he started in 1953. Dad passed away in December of 2008 but I will Always remember him Riding in the 33 for the first time...........

11. Larry T

Larry T

I've got a short attention span so I change mine every once in a while. But it's always something of mine or something I've built for a customer.
    Larry T

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I drew mine about 10 years ago. rough pencil sketch then outlined in sharpie pen. took a picture of it and refined it on the computer. the original is big.. like 11x17 or so.

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Mine's Just my old Normskull sitting on the newly polished brass on my Deuce roadster frame.

14. Fiddy and zman made me use it.

15. mines the vision i got of how id like my 29 packard to look someday. my club mate makes these cutouts and sells em @ car shows. he also does signwritting, pinstriping and airbrushing. he made it for my fortyith birthday and i got it on my 42nd........ he likes to take his tme. lol

16. I got a new hat & just wanted to show it off.

JH

17. And it is the spitting image of you Jim,,,except You ain't wearing glasses,,,have you started wearing contacts?:D

Oh yeah,,,my avitar is just my truck,,,HRP

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i use mine to keep me on task. it makes me feel guilty for being here and reminds me to stay focused.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  19. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

This will be my avatar for at least five years. When it's finished, I'll change it.

20. Mine is a scan of my favorite Ed Roth design. I found the original at a model car swap meet over twenty five years ago and never used it. I joined the HAMB and met Django at the same time, he scanned and sized it for me. The yellowing of age was left in.

I don't live by that creed (Do unto others, then SPLIT) but, always loved the '66 GTO and the "devil-may-care" and rebellious nature of the decal. Big Daddy is my biggest influence, that's why I pinstripe.

Joel

21. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, mine too.

22. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

My 56' Bel-Air was my dad's, he bought in about 1978, also my mom's dad bought a 1956 Chevy brand new.

23. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Just one of my rides..

24. <------- In these days and times it's pretty obvious.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Just my rod......

26. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Me and my little girl always makes me smile to see that photo.

27. My current one is my Hertz Shelby at the dealership that sold it on consignment for me in 2004.
    The picture was taken the day before it went to Pennsylvainia.
    I had the car since 1978. It was a loooong restoration.
    Miss the old girl but I used the dough to buy my 40 Merc. I've wanted a hot rod for a lonnnng time.
    I have ADD too so I like to change it alot

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  28. HammerDown

HammerDown

Because truthfully, NO ONE should touch the trim...

29. That's what it's really all about;).
    She is sweet.

30. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

cool freakin suspension setup is the reason

Mechanical art if you will...