Register now to get rid of these ads!

Av8 radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slickscustoms, Feb 23, 2014.

1. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

I need to buy a radiator then I'll be ready to set my motor mounts in my car. I'm looking at my options of what's out there. What do you have in your av8 and what do you think about it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Con tact Superior Radiator in Mt Clemmons MI They have good price quality welded (not glued) Aluminum radiators for a flathead or SBC/SBF also they can offer a cut down version if you need it to match a channeled car> I had them make one for a 1930 cope and it fit perfect
    geoford41

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i bought one on ebay for mine.. honestly. its not glued, its fully tig welded. it fits like a glove. ive purchased 3 rads from ebay and have had great luck with them all... some guys say they crap out, leak or dont fit.. i have 5000 miles on one on some rought ass pennsylvania and ohio roads and its still in great shape.

4. I guess I'm just from the old school but my thoughts on a aluminum radiator is they belong in Hondas,,not hot rods,especially on AV8's.

Stick with copper/brass construction radiators.

I've used a lot of different Radiators over the years and I am sold on Walker,,pricey but they last! HRP

dmar836 likes this.

5. I bought a Brassworks for mine. I just couldn't put an aluminum radiator in mine either.

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

x 2....not cheap but it has the right look..

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I agree, I've had good luck also. Plus being aluminum they're easy to modify if you have access to a TIG. Which Is nice if you have to move an inlet or the mounts.

Paint it black and no one will notice you didn't pay $800 for your radiator.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My intent exactly, I just flat don't have 700 or 800 bucks to put out on Walker or other high end brass radiator no matter how much I would want one.

9. Bader 2

Bader 2

Got a griffin aluminum in mine works great.most expensive part on it,but if it ain't cool you ain't goin nowhere!

66fora69er likes this.
  10. speedy383

speedy383

check out (Brice Tomas Radiator ), I have one in my 30 roadster .

11. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

Thanks for the replies

12. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

Thanks for the tip to Brice Thomas radiators. It's more than I wanted to spend but I'd rather give my money to somebody local than China

13. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

I bought a Superior Radiator and is nicely constructed. I mentioned this to a car builder buddy and he asked "does it fit the shell?" I said that I never checked. (Shame on me) He said another friend had bought one and it was too small and you could see the whole radiator inside the grille opening. When I looked at mine, same thing. You can see the whole radiator inside the grille shell opening, not just fins. I do not have a stock rad to compare, but my guess is that it is physically smaller. Anyone got the dimensions of a stock one to share?

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that happens all the time,
    ive ordered cheap o china ones, ive ordered us made superior radiator ones. they all use the 17"x17 1/4"x2 5/8 core,
    they must get them for a hell of a deal.. because no matter what car you specify, you get the same damn radiator accept the brackets may be at different heights... superior wants $400 for the same radiator i can buy off ebay for $167..... its identicle. fully tig welded, nice quality radiator. i ordered mine from champion. cant beat the price ($167) and its same as everyone else that is asking 300-400 $..
    i found one company on ebay that makes a good fitting radiator for a model a. it was the company i used when i built my model a with the McCulloch supercharger on it. and it fit right in and takes up the entire grill shell. you have to read the dimensions carefully. 95% all use the same core which is to small. you have to find the odd balls that use the correct dimension core.
    its a shame unless you spend 700 or more on a BE cool or a griffin aluminum. but then you mise well get a brass works or walker and not listen to the guys BS about an aluminum radiator.. brass works are great to deal with, there price reflects there product! super quality.

just some food for thought.

15. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

You cant make the point any clearer that THAT! Well said!!