Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 model a engine to trans. question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadz-forever, Nov 2, 2011.

1. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I am building an AV8 model a pickup full fendered I am running a flathead and would like to back it by a 60's toploader 4 speed out of a fairlane or flacon has anyone ever done this any advice on what trans crossmemeber to go with or a specific toploader to pick do I want a big input shaft or small. also what spline and I know that quick time makes a bellhousing but is it blow-prof?

2. not sure how your planning it....but....if you were going to work with a set of 39 pedals.....and had a 49-50 Merc bellhousing (to work with the 39 pedals and flathead) you would weld on the top two studs to accept a top loader or a aluminun TOD like I will be doing in my 39 cpe..TOD - top loader overdrive - came in late 70's to about 1982 Fords....mostly trucks

PICT0001.jpg

TOD 1.jpg

3. MEC makes an adapter, flathead to toploader, you need the circular truck bellhousing on an 8BA. I've sold the adapter, but still have the 3 spd+OD from an '86 F 150 if anyone is interested.
    RB

4. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Max
    What you want is a small spline wide ratio 4 speed (64-73). In an AV8, if using a linkage for the clutch, M.E.C. in Ohio makes a very nice aluminum adapter that uses the original Ford type throwout bearing and fork. I believe that the Quicktime bell housing adapter can only be used with the later 49-53 flathead. If you want a top shifted 4 spd, you can slightly modify the Ford case to accept a Jeep shift housing from a 1980's Jeep T-176/177 transmission. As far a a cross member is concerned, I can't help, as I used a 32 frame, but I wouldn't think you'd have too much difficulty making something.
    The picture shows a Jeep T-176 transmission case that has Ford toploader gears installed. I did this rather than use the Ford case because I wanted to adapt a Gear Vendors overdrive. As you can see, the Jeep case is much shorter than the Ford.
    Did you get the pics I sent of the center main bearing support?
    Regards
    Jim

Attached Files:

5. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Yes I did thank you much. So If I use the quick time bellhousing and small style input shaft I can run 39 pedals?

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

So If I use the quick time bellhousing and small style input shaft I can run 39 pedals?

That I just don't know about. I don't know anything about that Q-time bell. Check the hamb search for anything AV8 related. There are quite a few threads
    Regards
    Jim

7. Jimmy 2 car, just a quick note If I were you I wouldn't use copper tubing from oil filter to engine, it will work harden and possibly come apart on you, use hose and you will be ok......ps I like at least 3/8 id hose Carl

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

A t-10 4 speed used with the stock stamped steel car bellhousing will bolt right up without any adapters. '39 pedals can be used by flipping over the clutch arm on the pedals. All you need is a Mustang clutch disc. I'm pretty sure it's the same with a top loader.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  9. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Yes, I know Carl
    This was just my temp setup to get the engine running in the chassis. I had to reroute that stuff before the body went back on