Register now to get rid of these ads!

Automotive Painters, RM/BASF Products ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Oct 4, 2008.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Is anyone currently using RM/BASF paint products, especially the "Extreme
    Line" of mica based finishes? What clear are you using that you like?
    I've searched, but I guess their Super Max & Alpha-Cryl lines are now
    history!
    Thanx

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

2. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

i used one rm clear once. i forget the name and the color of the can. nice shit. i wanna say the can had yellow on it, it was rm.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

B.T.T.T.

Thanx,

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

4. jon_p

jon_p

yeah, certified and using it at work for about two years now. used to sell the stuff as a jobber too so ask away.

BASF actually makes a lot of the raw material for some of the other custom lines of paint (candy for HOK) so the quality is there for sure. basecoat is a polyester based, easy to spray and lay out. the products are fairly flexible and you can be really creative for the custom stuff. as for clears the three big ones are dc5100 for regular production type flow and speed. dc5600 is a speed clear (dust free in 10 min, can't really paint more than the side of a car on a cool day) that you can really get to lay out for smaller pieces. dc5300 is the shit for full custom jobs. if you can bake it, you're golden and it buffs out really well. if you can't bake it (like me), it works fine, I just make sure to let it sit for a while before the cutting/buffing.
    you can also use the glasurit clears over any r-m base products. I can never remember the numbers, but there are two killer clears that lay out really well.
    from what I remember the extreme line is just specific formulas. not run of the mill production toners but they work the same as the rest of the line.
    just be sure to use BCH2 (base coat hardner) in ALL of the base that you lay down.

jon