Register now to get rid of these ads!

Automatic Transmission Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I'm doing an engine swap. Pulling a 241 Hemi and putting in a Poly. I am using the 2 speed powerflight from the Hemi and the converter from the Poly. The powerflight is basically air cooled (vented bell housing / fan blades on converter). The Poly has a smooth converter, and has lines going to the radiator from the tranny. The converter from the Hemi didn't fit the Poly, it has a smaller bolt pattern. I know it's a head scratcher.

Obviously the transmission will run a little hotter. My question is, what are the consequences of it running hotter and what are some solutions that can resolve the issue?

I DON"T want to use a different transmission and converter. It took me 2 friggin hours to mount the converter and dont want to deal with it again.

Thanks in advance,
    Art.

And thanks to Gary for his patience and help so far in this stage of the project. :D

Attached Files:

2. It may be real easy to install a transcooler. Look on the trans you got the ply converter from. Often the holes are there but they are just plugged. You could make a pan with 1 inch tubes running through it which would also give a fair amout of cooling. Especially if they are facing in the path of airflow. AND you could run Mobil1 which is stable and lubricating to 1600 degreesF in which case the trans probably wouldnt care.
    So what did you do with the 241?
    Don

3. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Thanks, Don. I actually have a trans cooler in storage that I never used and was planning on selling. I'll have to dig it out.

Do you mean drain out transmission fluid and replace it with Mobil1 motor oil?

The 241 is up for sale along with a few other goodies that come with it. Its in the classifieds.

Art.

4. George

George

Originaly used Type A fluid, some use Dextron III or a mix of Dextron & Ford Type F. Have seen Type A listed in places but don't know if same type A as in the 50s.

5. Mobil ! trans fluid. Will put an end to many hi perf trans problems if they are heat/wear related. Easy to find Even Walmart sells it.
    Don

6. 73RR

73RR

Art, Problem solved! Plumb in the cooler and forget about the missing fins.
    I do recommend a temp gauge so you can keep track of what is happening.
    Trans fluid really doesn't want to be above 250° for more than about 1 minute...:eek:
    Ideally, it would be in the 180° vicinity.

Gary

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

My 54 Chrysler NYD has Powerflite with cooler lines. It also has a vent for air cooling. I would look at the Powerflite you have and see if there are pipe plugs where you can hook cooler lines.

8. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Thanks, Don. Will do.

9. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I do have plugs where the lines go. It should be an easy task when I have the time. Do you know which is in or out. I'm assuming bottom/out, top/in? There's a photo at the bottom.

I will use a gauge, I even have one in the box.

Attached Files:

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Shouldn't matter. Who cares if it flows left to right or right to left in the bottom tank.

11. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

It is not the oil that is main issue.It is the rubber seals in the trans.They will harden in too high temp.You can easily change overheated oil but seals is a bigger problem.
    keep your trannies cool.far les pita in future.

12. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

You see how the lines are top/bottom as opposed to right/left? This is the torqueflight. The previous pic was the powerflight. So, I'm wondering what your lines look like?

Attached Files:

13. George

George

You're putting in a 318 A Poly & no tranny cooler in the radiator?

14. oldsman41

oldsman41

you should be able to put a cooler on it and fins can be made for the pan.

15. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

After market aluminum radiator with out trans cooler. I got one of these.

Attached Files:

16. George

George

On that direction probably doesn't matter, now if you added one of the spin on filters....

17. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I was asking about the in and out on the tranny. It has several plugs and cant figure out which I should use for the lines. You're right, the direction doesn't matter on the cooler.

18. George

George

One port is at the back just before where the tail section bolts on. There a ridge that runs forward from that port, the second one is along the ridge just before you get to the bell. I've got too much crap piled on it to see witch line runs where.

19. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Thanks, George. That helps out a TON.

Art

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I will check out my Chrysler manual for port definition.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can you install the tranny with the converter bolted to the engine?

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yes, just be sure that you engage the drive coupling!

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Cool it must not be like a chevy

24. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Chevy? Powerglides, Turboglides, TH400, th350, th200. Those can be removed with converter. 700r4, 2004r, 4l60, 4l80, not sure about, but probably are same. Difference between old powerflite and torqueflite, vs Chevy, is the drive coupling, which Chevys do not have. Other thing is the bell housings, now Chrysler Powerflite and older Torqueflites can keep the converter and bell housing attached to the engine when removing the transmission. Chevy bell housing for automatics cannot stay with engine when removing transmissions.