Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autolite Spark Plugs - CHINA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspwr, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldspwr

oldspwr

Just picked up a set of Autolite 386's for my '55 Brockway with the 427 flathead Continental. Sure enough, I flipped the box over and noticed they were MADE IN CHINA. Man was I aggravated!!! I had bought a few sets last year, and double checked and those were all MADE IN USA. What the hell are we going to do now???

2. RatBone

RatBone

3. Contact Autolite.

4. time to buy NGK ?? at least thats Japan???

5. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Autolite. I'd rather use a bic lighter than trust Autolite's to provide spark.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

been here..done this..
    total POS in my book,
    had one like the thread link showed..and had a hell of a time figuring it out

7. Oh well, I will never buy another Autolite

8. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Beep you hit the nail on the head. Don't buy the stuff from China.

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used Autolite for 30+ years and never had a problem . I had problems with Champion back in the early 70's when racing so changed to Autolite . I guess I will have to find some new brand to use if they are being made in CHINA .
    Has anyone used the E3 ?
    Any good spark plugs to use ?

10. I've never run anything but Champions since the early 60's but, other than the ones that got hit by rocks in the sprint car motors, never had even the slightest problems with them.

My $.02 !

11. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

that sucks....China sure can make the cheapest shit that doesn't work...but their is always vintage N.O.S. spark plugs. what is the number you are looking for? I have cases of U.S.A made vintage new plugs. Cadillac Dave

12. I know some guys do not like Champs also , but thats all I use ,,,, no issues

13. Frank

Frank

Owned by Allied Signal. Same makers of Fram.

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Don't like Fram cheap junk !
    It's a real shame that everything we have now comes from another fu**in country ! :mad:
    I would happily pay a higher price for quality USA made any day of the week ! :D

15. I bought some AP 46's for my Y block just last week,, made in dam MEXICO,,,,Allied Signal sucks!

16. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

Second that...I'd pay double for anything made on THIS continent...Mexico, USA or Canada.

17. Moloko

Moloko

*on the nose* Another quality brand made cheap for the sake of advertising.

18. Champions are chrome plated. Where does that plating go? It's not on the plug when you pull them out a few thousand miles down the road.

19. ten thumb

ten thumb
    from texas

Man I am glad we are all on the same page about this made in USA stuff.Its a thorn in my side when I see china parts on a hot rod. What about AC Delco I think the last set I got was USA. And about filters K&N and Bosch are USA.

20. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

how about ac's?(plugs and filters)

21. it won't be long till there's nothing left to buy. we've been sold out. better stock up on what little is left :mad:

22. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

+1 on that

23. 68ragtop

68ragtop
    from Texas

We had Autolite in our stock car roller motor and got a miss the porcelain was lose.
    they used to be good . I used to have a 400 Pontiac motor that would EAT Champion plugs every 7000 miles. You talk about a POS. I had a young auto parts salesman try to sell me some Champions 3-4 years ago and he told me the district guy said that the just completely redesigned the plug and spent 1 cool million to do the research. Well that told me that they really had a problem in the 70's.

24. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

So what plugs ARE still US made? I have autolites in my poncho from PO.

25. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I tune cars every day at my shop for 13 years and never saw China on Autolite plugs. I Never had a problem with Autolite plugs in Fords, Champion plugs in Dodge and AC plugs in GMS. Never put champs in a Ford or Chevy they all ways cause problems. They must have gone to China for low production plug lines. Take them back an insist on USA made plugs. I would. BTW Autolite makes a lot of other brands of spark plugs.

26. Filters....I don't know since I buy Mobil filters,but the last set of r45ts I put in were made in Mexico.

27. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Ive been running Autolites in my Hemi since my car was done. Never had a problem. Also never saw made in china anywhere. In fact, just put in some fresh ones tonight.

28. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

I had the same thing happen with a Champion in an 81 VW Rabbit. Man, plug access on that motor was a DREAM.

29. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Not spark plugs, but China junk related..... I went to buy new brake rotors for my wife's car. All the local place had was Chinese garbage (Car Quest is shit). The goddamn machine work was chattered to hell....I asked the kid behind the counter if they were charging extra for the knurled finish. After wiping off the gallons of cosmolene they put on them so they don't rust on thier long voyage to the US...I found they tried to cover up either cracks or porosity with JB weld. I shit you not!!...JB weld on the inside (cast surface) of a brake rotor.

Needless to say, I made a cross town trip to Napa and got some nice US made rotors for $5 bucks more.

Scary thing is...there are mechanics out there putting this shit on peoples cars....that are driving on the road with you and I.

30. MotorKing

MotorKing
    from detroit

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My name is Jay Buckley, I would like to respond to your post about Autolite Spark Plugs. I am the technical training manager for Autolite spark plugs. We are a global supplier of spark plugs and they are made in three countries, USA, Mexico and China. Low volume and nearly obsolete copper core spark plugs (like your 386) do come from a plant in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">China</st1:country-region></st1:place>. They are made to the exact same quality and engineering standards as our plugs made in the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place> and other countries. Our platinum, double platinum and iridium enhanced plugs are made in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Mexico</st1:country-region></st1:place>. We are committed to selling the very best spark plugs in the market and we stand behind our products 100% regardless of the country of origin. I would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have about our products and ignition systems.<o:p></o:p>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.