Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical auto transmission storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, May 7, 2020.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Rebuilt a auto transmission about 6 months ago. Soaked the clutches when installed. It is in the car but will be awhile before i get it running. Thoughts? Will it be o.k.? Dry out and ruin them ?
    What do people do when they store transmissions and engines for long times?
    What do you do when starting them after storage?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Depending on what kind of automatic, I would dump 4 to 6 quarts of fluid in it.

mad mikey likes this.
  3. Ya know I never thought be out this..mines sitting in my car..since August..nothing in it...I’m assuming when they rebuilt it they lube everything up..

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I just installed an OEM brand new trans that has been sitting on the shelf since 2010! It has been sitting as it came from the factory, dry, with every opening sealed. We installed a reman converter, installed the trans, filled it and adjusted everything. Its only been a few days, but at this point, it acts just like a new trans.
    The word was that as long as its been sealed closed and did not get water in it, all should be good, a new or rebuilt trans has no limit to its shelf life.

The water thing is the killer deal. the glue that holds the clutch material to the steel is water based. You get water in there and the glue turns to mush and then everything is free spinning. I had to replace the old trans because it got a little water in it. Gene

VANDENPLAS and mad mikey like this.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I recently used an auto trans that I had rebuilt several years ago, sat bone dry for all that time. Working fine.

VANDENPLAS and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Moisture would be the enemy so store it accordingly.

7. You do jack it up on initial warm up and run it thru the gears - correct ? Shouldn't be a problem....

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I recently bought a ST400 transmission, AKA Switch Pitch; the torque converter has a movable stator that changes between low stall and high stall via a switch on the carburetor linkage; I'll be using a simple, dash mounted switch to change stalls at will. These were used in Cadillac's, Buick's, Oldsmobile's, and Pontiac's, but only in the BIG cars, from 1964-1966. The one I bought had been rebuilt, then put on a shelf for MANY years. I tore it down to check it out; the steel plates still have Raybestos printed on them, the lined plates are the same, but the assembly lube, the transmission gel, has turned into wax. So, I have to clean everything up. This transmission has also had the stock bell-housing cut away, and an aftermarket, Chevrolet pattern bell-housing bolted to the pump just like SFI bell-housings are done these days. The really interesting thing is, the aftermarket bell-housing also has side mounts, so it'll bolt right into a Tri-Five Chevrolet. I would also use a rear cross-member for extra support. I believe this bell-housing was made by A-1; it's almost identical to two I bought from A-1 that allows the same thing to be done with an aluminum Powerglide. Anyway, don't store a rebuilt transmission on the shelf for several/many years, or you'll have to clean and rebuild it like I'm having to do. I would't worry too much in the car, as long as there's lube in them.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. rosstom

rosstom

It is better to store your trans in a low humidity environment.

10. We used to build stock units all the time and shelve them.
    As long as it’s sealed up no issues to have it sit for a while.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I bought a car from a widow. It had been sitting for thirty years. Came with an invoice for a transmission rebuild that recorded the mileage at the time. The odometer had the same reading so evidently the car had never moved. Transmission worked fine.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app