Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Trans trouble??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, May 9, 2010.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I'm looking for a trouble shooting tips to get back on the road. I heve a fresh rebuilt Chrysler 727 3 speed auto trans. I have only driven my car around the blocks a few times. At take off, it seems like I might be slipping the clutch. (Auto trans) we drove it around the block last weekend... We used forward and reverse a couple of times, no trouble...

When I rolled back to my drive way (incline) it acted like it was in 3rd gear or slpping the clutch again. It would not power in to the drive. I put in in reverse, to back up and try again... It went into reverse, but still acted bad in drive. I killed the motor, then it would not restart. Neutral saftey switch doing its job I guess.

It is not in park not, even though the shifter is....

I'm looking for a couple of "look over here" or "try this"... OR, do I have to pull it and take back to the shop?

Thanks guys!

2. 65 impala

65 impala

is the guy who built your trans good at what he does cause if hes not it naybe slippin they tricky is it neew?

3. Is the transmission actually slipping or is it trying to pull away in third? Big difference....If it is trying to pull away in third the valve body or governor is stuck,try pulling it into first manually which will over ride the valve body. Manual first and drive first are different. Manual first is a clutch and a band while drive first is a clutch and an over running mechanical clutch. If the trans is not going into park a linkage adjustment might be required.If the trans linkage is fine and the trans fluid is full and it is actually slipping then the problem is inside the transmission and it will need to be pulled and reinspected.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

29Jay...sounds like the governor is stuck and it's trying to pull off in either second or high, either way DO NOT let it do that. This will burn up a rebuild in minutes. Pull the shifter down into manual low when starting off if it does that again. What ever killed the first transmission was still in the cooler or lines. or the builder didn't get everything clean.

6. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I waa starting out in 1st. (Kind of a cluthc half out feeling) I have only putted it around the block. I felt it sheft into 2nd once. I was not trying to go very fast yet... The linkage WAS fine, Park, drive, reverse etc... In the begining, it seemed as though it took a lot of pedal to get rolling. Once rolling, the RPM's seemed to drop back down.

I called the trany shop about this and they said this too. The trans was rebuilt, then sat. I bought it, and my trany shop went through it, fixed a cuple of things and gave it clean bill of preformance.

It was in the driveway that it would not go... Lot of gas = inching forward link a rock crawler... Then it would not re-start...

How do I get it to start? Or get it in and out of gear. Meaning: I have rand the shifter up and down and pushed the car forward and back...

How do I get it unstuck so I can get it to start?

7. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

It was in the driveway that it would not go... Lot of gas = inching forward like a rock crawler... Then it would not re-start...

How do I get it to start? Or get it in and out of gear. Meaning: I have ran the shifter up and down and pushed the car forward and back... no change

How do I get it unstuck so I can get it to start? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Isn't there a throttle pressure rod? It goes from the carb to the tranny and lets the tranny know how much pressure is on. I burned up a 727 in a very short time way back when I wan an apprentice:D

9. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I have a Lokar kick-down cable. Should I be looking at this too?

10. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

11. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I dropped of the sedan at the trany shop... A loose wire on the starter was the reson it did not start. Problem #1 out of the way...

The slipping feeling was related to the shift linkage. Once the guys at the shop disconected the linkage, the trany was good to go.

I did some Gennie shifter research in the how to section. It said that if you adjust one part all the way back (which I had) then you needed to adjust the arm one way or the other etc... Wish I would have read the that sooner (I'm a bone head) Ginnie does a great job in the Q & A section if one were to read it...

Trany is good to go now! 3rd trouble was a leaky dip stick. A small ding that was causing the o-ring not to do it's job. Black RTV left to dry over night was the trick. No more leaks!

However... They pulled the pan off during this process to get it all done right and found a "wad" of clutch material in the pan. This was a result of the 1st problem I described about it feeling like it was pulling away in 2nd gear. It was. And I'm a bone head!

Now I have to get it home, pull it out and take it back up there for another fix... These 1st time car builder lessons are expencive....

THANK YOU guys for all the very helpful tips and support!

12. swifty

swifty

Hey 29Jay, you're getting me all spooked out now with this situation as I haven't driven mine yet and I've got the same engine/trans combo as you-318 Poly with a 727 auto.

I wish I'd gone with a Gennie shifter now as I already had a Lokar then read on here that most HAMBer's preferred the Gennie over the Lokar. Too late then tho.

Let's know how you get on with it.

swifty

13. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Just read more than I did. The big lesson here is... when it does not sound right, take it to some one who knows more about it than you do...

I picked the sedan up today. $180 to get it all working. Estimated $250 to fix the clutches and such that I messed up.