Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

2. Can anybody identify the Make and Year of this car?

I know this is not a race car, but our local Historical Society has asked me to help identify it, and I am at a loss. (My only GUESS is 'Overland')

I figured that this group on this thread was the most 'scholarly' on the H.A.M.B.

I apologize in advance for being Off Topic.

JG

Attached Files:

3. Buildy

Buildy

I`m pretty sure that is a La Salle I`d say a 1930.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

That's pretty much spot on, Tony.

5. You guys are AMAZING!! THANKS!

After your response I went to a LaSalle web site to see for myself. http://www.motorera.com/lasalle/lasalle.htm

(Pretty neat site, by the way.)

They showed pictures of all years, and just judging by the hubcaps (hex vs round) I think I have concluded that it is a 1929. Definitely not a '28 and not a '31.

Again, you guys are awesome!! Thanks!!

6. Buildy

Buildy

Well at least I got you pretty close,one year off isn`t too bad-LOL.

7. Vintageride

Vintageride

I looked at many views of the Chandler Plant, including maps. I could not find any photos of the Chandler Plant that match the photo, as I am sure most of you have tried.

Maybe it is parked at a vendor for the racing effort, such as tire manufacturer.

Nothing to add to Mr. Wolfram's story.

Vintageride

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

9. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

10. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

What's the story behind those photos Keith?

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

some guy built himself a cute little dunebuggy!!

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

thats a buggy we'd all like to own...............!

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

From what i can interperate they were taken in late 45 0r 46 in Russia, when the AU's were moved from Poland/Latvia after sept 45, seems they were 'distributed' between different groups for dismantaling and research/investigation..........then they got weighed in......!!:eek:

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

...that sold for millions later on.

Hmmm....i think we need a comment or two from Bluto, maybe a story. I have a feeling he has seen something very very similar throughout his life travels.

What say Jimski? Know anything?

17. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I had a very good connection with the club Audi invited me to see their collection..... This was before the had a museum. There was talk of the cars.... they really had no clue. There is a very nice book published in the DDR ...... pretty much an inventory of what was built. But almost no real contact West Germany to East..... I knew the Rega guys didn't want to let go. So I stayed far from this. Eventually they traded a fake car and cash for their real one...... Audi began producing their own new cars. The cost of this effort was nuts.

The car in Munich was on display without body .... the museum had no room to store the body so they crushed it!

There are still a couple cas around. One tme in the south of DDR I was visiting my friends with the 'Forest Collection' things were hidden in the woods, and still are! I went by a hut amongst the rot. mud, and green there was a shining cylinder head..... I made no comment as they had set it there just to screw with me.

I was at a show once a couple came up to me and invited me to see there two cars giving me a card. It a quick phone call to check...... yes they had two of them. They has gone as quickly as appeared. Just there to give me a card.... strange

I have stayed away from Russia ..... had two friends in the music business
    killed one club owner and an English guy that just vanished... After that I just don't feel much like going. There are still cars here. But they are hidden. People are scared the Audi and Mercedes might claim them....and have the courts on their side.

Like many of you I watch them Real and Fake. The sounds of these cars. Even the gearboxes make wonderful sound. ALL this make me even more proud of my long gone friend Rene kicking there ass' roundly.

19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I believe you Jimski. I think there is a goldmine in Eastern Europe just waiting to be discovered.

A person once told me, if you want a car from Russia, be prepared to hand over bags of cash. Not just to the seller but to his comrades that also want a slice of the pie.
    He also said, if you do get out of the country with the car and your life intact, go buy a lottery ticket.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

People just don't understand how rough things are in Russia. Life is cheap there.

Not many car treasures in Poland. My treasure is my Mrs.

Czec is the place Good beer good cars nice people

21. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

...and beautiful women.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The connection between UK and Poland has always been good... lots on Norton inters and manx too

23. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Those pictures and more are to be found on a thread at Autosport.

It would be wonderful if all the stories of "lost" racers in Eastern Europe could be collated and published. Equally, I can understand why they haven't ...

24. noboD

noboD

Jim, in the car world of Poland is there any talk of the '38 VW found in Lithuania? I know it's OT here, but if the car is real it's very significant. It's serial number 6 according to the experts. There's big talk on Samba about it, body work and paint was just completed.

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No Doug nothing, but not surprising ....

To be honest a VW guys here are into Golfs

Maybe a Cal style Bug.

Remember the last vast quanities of VWs were running pretty hard to not get crushed by Soviet tanks

26. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I finally found a period photo of the 1911 Franklin that raced in the 1911 Los Angeles to Phoenix race, better known as the Cactus Derby.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

96HP likes this.
  27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

This Hudson won a 250 Mile race in Buenos Aries on 4-10-21. Can any of our friends from South America fill us in on the details?
    [​IMG]

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

The following pics are of Bernd Rosemeyer before and during his speed record attempts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

30. model.A.keith

model.A.keith