Register now to get rid of these ads!

Australian Hot Rod Reunion & Nostalgia Night - Pics & Report

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodmatt, May 18, 2008.

1. hotrodmatt

hotrodmatt

Australian Hot Rod Reunion & Nostalgia Night
    Castlereagh Hall, Castlereagh
    Saturday 17 May, 2008

[​IMG]

A great success again at Castlereagh Hall, just a stones throw from the site of the old Castlereagh International Dragway, was the hot rod & drag racing reunion.

Following the same format as the last one two years ago, the reunion and nostalgia night saw over 200 pioneering drag racers, hot rodders, 2nd and 3rd generation rodders and many younger or newer hot rod and racing aficionados gather to share experiences, memories and memorabilia from the halcyon days of drag racing and hot rodding.

Fellows who are held in high regard stood side by side with those who would not have been born when Castlereagh Drags were closed. People like Bob Honeybrook, Brian and Peter Keegan, Joe Gatt and Paul Foley chatted with up and coming racers, home building hot rodders and admiring fans. Not only did some of these important fathers of the sport share their memorabilia and memories, but inspired the young (and young at heart) to strive to keep drag racing and hotrodding spirit alive.

The carpark was a mini-hot rod show with cars arriving from early afternoon until evening. A great variety of cars, from real survivors of "the day" to restored classics through to fresh hot rods and even a belly tank salt car. Inside were stands of old photographs, magazines, drag racing paraphernalia, vintage speed equipment. Video and slides displays were projected and music livened up the guests.
    Outside some open fires kept the chill away while old friendships were renewed and the never ending barbeque sizzled away. Rusty Gregory was MC for the night, doing a stunning job and reminding the pioneers who attended of the esteem in which they are held. Bob Honeybrook and Ronnie Williams discussed the earliest days of Castlereagh and the conditions that inspired racers to get off the streets and formalise drag racing in Sydney. They reminded us of the lengths that racers went to race before the track, with many multi-day trips to Riverside in Melbourne, roadside repairs on the way home driving, not towing, the same cars they had raced. They spoke of the earliest meets at Castlereagh and the continual challenges to improve the track. All the stuff of legend. Bob also screened his latest collection of vintage 8mm films that have been freshly edited, scored and given voice over - part of Australia's history that just can't be lost. Gary Hudson also reminded us of the days when top level drag racing was attanable by a bunch of guys with passion and smarts.

Alan "Burgo" Burgess was also honoured, being his 59th birthday and he in turn honoured Joe Gatt, whose contribution to Australian drag racing and hot rodding cannot be denied. A very humbled Joe expressed his passion for the sport and the desire for the younger generations to follow their lead and keep the spirit alive.

The night was a great opportunity to talk to, listen to and learn from our pioneers and "living treasures" but was also an opportunity to raise funds for cancer research. Between entry tickets, raffles, donations and some generous sponsorships over $3000 was raised.

Corrine and Charlie Falzon again must be congratulated for providing a great venue, feeding and refreshing the visitors and carried the bulk of the organisation over the previous months to ensure a night to remember. Thanks to Joseph Rodriquez for organising the audio-visual displays and music, Macquarie Town Hot Rod Club for proving the BBQ, Tony Martin for the spectacular lucky door prize, raffle prize donors, Shannon’s Insurance for their sponsorship and all the others for their generous assistance.

Ronnie Williams & Bob Honeybrook regaling with tales of the origins of Castlereagh Dragway and early hot rodding in Sydney.
    [​IMG]

Gary Hudson
    [​IMG]

Alan Burgess (Burgo)
    [​IMG]

Charlie Falzon, Corrine Falzon, John Rice, Paul Foley
    [​IMG]

The Falzons with Jackie and Joe Gatt
    [​IMG]

Burgo and Joe
    [​IMG]

Alan Ostey, Craig Fountain & Al Fountain with the Falzons
    [​IMG]

Peter & Brain Keegan with Charlie & Corrine
    [​IMG]

2. hotrodmatt

hotrodmatt

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool..........and very neat motor. Any more of the complete car?

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

[​IMG]

4. hotrodmatt

hotrodmatt

I think I have some from another event where it was off the trailer. I'll have a look around tonight.
    [​IMG]

5. QQMOON

QQMOON

What a great night can not wait to do it all again.

QQ

6. matt,
    looks like a great time was had. thanks for posting.
    any mare shots of the '30-'31 highboy roadster.
    Al.

7. Buildy

Buildy

Gallivan=Very cool-you never see those!!

8. hotrodmatt

hotrodmatt

The Dago Special?
    Charlie is on here, he might be able to post some more.

9. Well what can I say, I am just so overwhelmed that I don't know where to start! (I'm still recovering)
    Firstly I would like to thank my parents Charlie and Debbie, for their assistance over the past couple of months and on the day it just would not have been possible without them.
    I would also like to thank my sister and brother-in-law Tracey and Chad Williams and their 2 daughters, not only did they travel from Tamworth but also for their assistance over the past couple of months and on the day.
    For all of their help over the past couple of months and on the day I would like to thank: Mum & Dad, Tracey & Chad, Russell(Rusty) Gregory, Garry & Janet Gregory, Alan & Heather Burgess, Joseph Rodriquez, Nick Mastromauro, Ronnie De-Biasi, Joe Zammit, Tony Sant, John & Sue Beer, Iain & Debbie Leitch, Mal & Maree Gower, Leanne Falzon and Macquarie Towns HRC for the BBQ.And also everyone who helped clean up at the end of the night, THANKYOU.
    For their kind donations towards the night:Shannons Insurance, Dragster Australia, Roadrunner Models, Chad and Tracey Williams, Dinos Glenmore Park Pizza,
    Gunter Frohreich, Ron & Steph Signs.
    And I would also like to make a special mention to:Bob Honeybrook,Ronnie Williams, John Walker, Garry & Lyn Hudson, Steve Thomas, Matt Sherwood, Joe Gatt, Bill Jansen, Ray Ellis, Tony Thomas, Brett White, Warren & Sue Goodall and Alan Ostey for his generosity.
    Everyone who brought memorabilia or footage to display thankyou so much.
    Those who travelled long distances you know who you are and I thank you so much for your efforts.
    Thankyou to everyone who attended if it was not for your support the night would not have happened.The tickets were totally sold out and we were still getting phone calls Saturday for tickets I really hated saying no but I had too so I do apologise, hopefully you can make it next time.
    If I did not get to talk to you I am sorry, please if you see me somewhere come up and say hi so I can put names to faces and thankyou personally as I am sure there are plenty that I missed.
    I am truly sorry if I left anybody out and I'm sure I did so thankyou also.I have not done it on purpose but my mind is still going at 100MPH that I can't think straight and there are so many good people out there, so thankyou also.
    If it wasn't for the Hotrodders and Drag Racers themselves we would not have a reason to celebrate in the first place, Thankyou also.
    We have made so many new friends and met so many people that I thought I would never meet that I now hopefully can call my friends that I just feel so privileged and I don't know what else I can say except THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU
    Thanks to everyone involved, we raised well over $3000 to donate to the Cancer Council of NSW.
    Cheers Corrine :) :) :)

10. Retroline

Retroline

Another great night, well done Corrine.
    here are some pics from John Richards and some of mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Good shots Skippy, I am sorry we did not get to talk, but it was a great night, I had a hard time recovering on Sunday, Richo and me were last to leave.