Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Kustom Nationals - FIRST PICTURES.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mai Ki-Ki, Jan 4, 2004.

1. 55olds88

55olds88

Yeah, we keep getting the "its going to be a long dry summer" speil from the weather dudes, hell all I want is the weekends to be fine, particularly the 17/18 for Kumeu last year it was hot and dry, great weather for selling T shirts and beer.....
    Surfer chicks... what the hell, when I went to Phillip Island the only Chicks I saw were penguins [​IMG]:)

2. [ QUOTE ]
    I dunno how you can lay claim to being the magazine guru when you don't own a real camera?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's owning a good camera got to do with SELLING magazines ya photo-junkie??? You've been sniffin' too much fixative in the darkroom!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Flatoz: you shoulda been there Saturday. Much better day (obviously). Big crowd. Was feeling a bit under the weather myself after Friday night's beers and music.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Whaddaya mean late night? Shit you young guys left a good hour or so before us allegedly 'old' blokes! We figured you couldn't hack the pace, or was it something to do with those surfie chicks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't say anything about a late night here, ya picky bugger! [​IMG]
    Are you saying you wouldn't have chased that girl back to her room if you had the chance? [​IMG]

3. some good stuff there

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I got some images only a half dozen though, and mostly striping. I just tend to talk to to many people or am to busy stripng to get the time to take pictures or even really look at hot rods and customs, but heck I really did have a fine time. Maiki, you should have just intro'd yourself I wouln't have minded. A lot of people just do, Mr Carps has a bad habit of sticking a camera in my face at usually a very 'critical pinstriping moment'. But being the true amateur at it that I am he knows I can cope with his photographic antics, besides it adds to the challenge! Ok to the images.
    First car is a '53 Victoria from the Geelong area, I am hopeless with names I think this guy's name was Justin, I actually striped this one at the picnic, but I will post it here just to make you think I was busier than I actually was,yeah right, I wish! The second 2 images are of Gary Sala's ( from shepparton) '51 pickup. The last image is some of Dom's work, something he did very late on Sunday, Dom I hope you don't mind me posting some of your work; [​IMG] than I [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

uh oh flame throwers wheres Titus when you need him lol. Great looking show. I never knew that aussies where so cool.

6. 2nd Annual KOA Kustom Nationals
    Pillip Island – Jan 2004

Awards

For all you trophy hunters who like to know who picked up the gold, here's the definitive listing from the Kustoms Of Australia Nats held last weekend at Phillip Island.

Now, before we hear the cries of "How the friggin heck did THAT car win an award?" lets understand the rules here. Like every KOA event, there are no rules other than to have fun with your old cars. Shiney paint and lots of chrome etc. are not key onsiderations for KOA awards, since there's a lot more to what really makes a winning car than that. So, the first part of the selection process, is for 'da judge' to ask, "are these folks havin fun?" The judges are very well versed in the simple yes/no answer to the key questions of, is it a hot rod or is it a kustom? Thus the only additional criteria includes such questions as, Did they drive it? Are they cruising it now?

So without further ado, drum roll please..... AND THE WINNAHS ARE!

Model Cars
    3rd 1949 Mercury, Mark Bonella
    2nd Porsche 356 Kustom, Arthur Radziszenski
    1st 1949 Mercury Kustom, Arthur Radziszenski

Kustom Lowrider Bicycle
    Black "Stretch Cruiser", Dave Arnold

Kustom Motorcycle
    Green Hawg Chopper, Matt. the kustom paint whizz. (not only was the paint on this puppy shiny, it was way radical with some wild airbrush work and other trickery)

Flamethrower
    1941 Ford Kustom Coupe, Anthony Salva (yeah, this one has shiney paint, plus a few heat blisters on the trunklid)

Male Tattoo
    Lotsa pictures all over his body, Peter Rollins

Female Tattoo
    Naked Green Lady, Amelia

Mini Rod
    Shiny black & chrome ’32 Ford Roadster, Jacob Siena (this thing has all the tricks and detail to win the big trophy at the Oakland Roadster show)

Aussie Desert Cooler (Norm’s pick),
    Trad style with windsor, black channeled ’34 Ford Coupe, ‘Spider’ (This guy looks like he should be riding a Hawg not driving a rod, but then again his rod definitely has that 'outlaw biker look'. It's one tough ride.)

Eye Poppin Head Turner
    Emma Dabbs, Hey, nobody said it hadda be a car!

Long Distance - DRIVEN!
    1920sumpin, Chrysler Roadster Pick-up, driven from Darwin. Yes, THAT Darwin, the one in the Northern Territory, over 8,000 miles away! Frankie The Fireman and Mrs Frankie. (very shiney, but slightly chipped, Candy Apple Red)

Muscle Car 1
    968 Mustang GT500 Gennie car, the real deal! Entrant no 212 name TBC (original factory paint-job)

Commercial Vehicle
    Kustom ‘54 F100, Inspired by R&C Dream Truck, The Kuchell Family from Nooriootpa, South Oz. (Pearl white with purple scallops - go figure)

Hot Rod
    Model A roadster pickup, highboy on cream wires with blackwalls and souped up '34 four banger. Dennis Ranksdale (hot rod red oxide primer)

Coolest Croozer
    1957 Hudson Lowrider, Dale Higgins. (flat black with multi coloured pinstriping)

Tina Memorial
    “T Special”, Y block Ford powered, 1932 Lowboy Roadster, Bill Agius (flat black primer)

Top Kustom
    1950 Ford Kustom Coupe, Paul Naughton (black primer with candy yellow/orange/red & purple tipped flames & trad white striping)

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Are you saying you wouldn't have chased that girl back to her room if you had the chance? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was it hadda kick you up the arse and remind you what being young and single means? [​IMG]

8. Hey Carps! not a bad haul...i know all these guys..hehe

Kustom Lowrider Bicycle
    Black ‘Stretch Cruiser’, Dave Arnold

Male Tattoo
    Lotsa pictures all over his body, Peter Rollins

Female Tattoo
    Naked Green Lady, Amelia

Coolest Croozer
    1957 Hudson Lowrider, Dale (forget his surname! ) [​IMG]

9. 55olds88

55olds88

Hey Carps,
    any Pics of the Eye Poppin Head Turner ???

You still thinking about jumping the ditch for the 16-17th ?

10. flatoz

flatoz

whodaky,

been thinking I need some of your striping on my roadster, it cant be all red [​IMG]

11. hey all,

CARPS: nice to meet you on the weekend, officialy at least. hope you got some cool shots. for the record, Dale's last name is Higgins (I'll confirm spelling) and he works about 10m from my work...I'll jump over at lunch and get the spelling.

He has been umming and arrrring for ages over that hudson. i have been photochopping the buggery out of it at work to give him some ideas. we usualy spend our lunch looking at it going over things. if some one deserved to win that award it was him. the nicest and most humblest car guy ive ever met. i spoke to him yesterday and he was rapt... had a grin from year to ear.

WHODAKY: i was in a similar boat to mikee, i didnt want to disturb you at work. ive been a fan of your striping for a while. i'd love to get a small piece for the wall. could you PM me a price?

Danny

12. [ QUOTE ]
    hey all,

CARPS: nice to meet you on the weekend,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always good to put a face to the names, although I've changed since Sunday and the beard has been trimmed back to it's pre Christmas holidays close cropped executive look, so ya may not recognise me next time. [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    hope you got some cool shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, the first few rolls out of the tank look OK but won't be sure till I get em scanned and up on the big screen.

[ QUOTE ]
    for the record, Dale's last name is Higgins

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx.

[ QUOTE ]
    He has been umming and arrrring for ages over that hudson. i have been photochopping the buggery out of it at work to give him some ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that. I've downloaded a couple of Maiki's pics and started work on it myself. Looks good with a few badges removed, likewise for the fake bullet holes. [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    we usualy spend our lunch looking at it going over things. if some one deserved to win that award it was him. the nicest and most humblest car guy ive ever met. i spoke to him yesterday and he was rapt... had a grin from year to ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a couple of shots from the upper balcony late Sunday arvo, while he wasn't looking, I swear his face was going to split, the grin was so wide.

[ QUOTE ]
    WHODAKY: i was in a similar boat to mikee, i didnt want to disturb you at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never let little things like that stop me. The sign of a true artist is that he/she can keep working under the spotlight or any other pressure that's been placed on them. Geoff is one of the guys who just keeps on going. I'll post a loverly shot I have of hm striping Tony' Kuchell's pick up, that shows very clearly how well he copes with such pressure.
    (yeah, Geoff, you know the pic I mean) [​IMG]

Meanwhile the boys have done all the finishe welding on the Humpy and it now looks like this. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I think I striped the winning mini rod late on Sunday, actually if it was the same one, that was one of the best detailed and built mini rods I have seen!
    Flatoz, we have the technology I have learnt to stripe on red. If you think I am up to the task you just say the word and it will be done; whenever and where-ever!
    Emma Dabbs, is that who I think it is. T-Bird? Cadillac?
    You can't use that shot Mr Carps. That was a staged display of striping stupidity, we don't want people getting the wrong idea. I have a reputation to maintain. Even if that reputation isn't a very good one, I'd like to maintain it! Please don't post that image.
    Jester' cool us? nah just mostly nuts ,cool occassionally!
    EEEk, just looked at the awards list, there's a pattern emerging here. Some of those award winning vehicles have been striped by my very own hands. There goes my quiet life.

14. [ QUOTE ]
    I think I striped the winning mini rod late on Sunday, actually if it was the same one, that was one of the best detailed and built mini rods I have seen!

[/ QUOTE ]

And I got a couple of photos of you doing it.

[ QUOTE ]
    Flatoz, we have the technology I have learnt to stripe on red. If you think I am up to the task you just say the word and it will be done; whenever and where-ever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Red striping on a red rod, that should look pretty cool.

[ QUOTE ]
    Emma Dabbs, is that who I think it is. T-Bird? Cadillac?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    You can't use that shot Mr Carps. That was a staged display of striping stupidity, we don't want people getting the wrong idea. I have a reputation to maintain. Even if that reputation isn't a very good one, I'd like to maintain it! Please don't post that image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks he doth protest too much. [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    Jester' cool us? nah just mostly nuts ,cool occassionally!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was pretty cool on Sunday. [​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    EEEk, just looked at the awards list, there's a pattern emerging here. Some of those award winning vehicles have been striped by my very own hands. There goes my quiet life.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! You're a legend in your own lunchbox! [​IMG]

I've done some scanning, so I'll post a few pics later tonite. Including some shots showing how hard Mr Whodaky was working all weekend.

15. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Have had red on red on the grille shell of the coupe for years, black on black is the coolest, not to much demand for it though, although my friend has a Vincent HRD and he wants it black on black, don't wants to up set the purists to much!
    Snuck up on again, I was so engrossed in that tiny lil black car job, you got under my guard sir!
    Lunch box, but I don't have one. Not wanting to be a legend, just wants to be me. I came away with issues regarding my striping after that weekend, issues that are playing with my mind. Sometimes I just think to much, it should be just so simple, but it isn't always that easy!
    It is true I did a bunch of striping over the weekend, but I don't see it as work. More just a way of taking it to the people. The people must see it being done, to be shown it is not a black art that is only done by mad men and women behind closed doors of of dusty garages, listening to clazy music. Hey my garage ain't dusty and my music ain't clazy. Geoff aka who daky

16. flatoz

flatoz

Probly, go with white I guess ( boring I know ) but red on red does sound interesting!

17. [ QUOTE ]
    WHODAKY: i was in a similar boat to mikee, i didnt want to disturb you at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah sure... this looks like real hard work! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Carps,

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't Emma, but Fran is in the same category. I really don't think I should post the best pics here.
    Don't need all them sleazy H.A.M.B.ers coming down here and chasin our wimmin folk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Attached Files:

19. Friday arvo at the beach.

Attached Files:

20. Damn those boots....that chick keep distracting us all weekend!! Every time she stood up, we did too!

21. Hey Carps,

Can you post that group shot you did of all the four girls? you took it not long after the pic you just posted...

danny

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Carps,

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't Emma, but in the same category. I really don't think I should post the best pics here.
    Don't need all them sleazy H.A.M.B.ers coming down here and chasin our wimmin folk.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

22. That's the lovely Fran who was taking ppl for rides around the race track in her (and her boy's) Mustang All day!

HEHE...and thats not the up the skirt shot you were taking carps!!!!

Cheers

MAIKI

23. [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Carps,

Can you post that group shot you did of all the four girls? you took it not long after the pic you just posted...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Danny, remember I hadda change film. Haven't processed the other roll yet. So it'll prolly be later in the week before I can post that shot.

Meanwhile here's one from the beach on Friday.

Attached Files:

24. [ QUOTE ]

HEHE...and thats not the up the skirt shot you were taking carps!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think anybody saw, that happening. [​IMG]
    Not going to post those shots here, don't want you buggers getting too excited. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. Here's Geoff striping the mini Deuce.

Attached Files:

26. And the the young fella who looks like he's off to a good start in life.
    Award winning Deuce roadster and a cute gurl... life doesn't get better than that. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. How much fun are these guys having in the Top Hot Rod?

Attached Files:

28. Chopper and Dean just kept on working, completely oblivious to the fact it was pissin rain.

Attached Files:

29. Umm, here's a picture of Emma's Caddy.

Yeah, I know it's not what you want, but it's all you're getting! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. The weather on saturday was perfect!

Attached Files: