Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aurora Racetrack Layouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anybody here is into these.

I always wanted to build a nice layout in my basement.. I loved my Aurora layout back in the 60s.

I was hoping we could have a nice thread about them..

2. Deuces

Deuces

160 + slot cars and about 120 + feet of track.. :cool::D

3. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

You've got my attention. Pics to follow when I get back from GNRS.

4. long island vic

long island vic

my last track was on a 16x16 boardwith a four layer hill,, and four lanes,,,,it was big ,,and it was fun,,,its stored away in a large steamer trunk

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I still have all my cars, and a fair amount of track. Just need a place to set up in

6. screwball

screwball

I sold 100 cars last year. Kept my peace tank the early stuff and all of my hot rod cars.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I remember the good old dayz when the basement air was smothered with Aurora gear oil... I could still smell it now.... :D

8. We had the Golden Gate set but sad to say it's long gone. I still have a few of the cars >>>>.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I bought the A/FX Riverside Raceway set in the '70's.. The cars included were stars and stripes Corvette and the Camaro... I still have the Camaro.. Don't know what I did with the rest of it.. :(

10. CFL

CFL
    from San Jose

I have the Revelll 1/32 Atlantic Home raceway set, this is from the mid-sixties with the orgininal box and cars. I added the banked track and these cars move along pretty fast. Run it with the kids.

11. I sold off my old stuff long ago to finance some unworthy project. I bought a new set for my son when he was about ten and we had a blast.
    And then he got a computer.

12. newer stuff. 1:32 carrera track. 320ft. with all the bells and whistles. carrera track is big enough to run 1:24 scale. over 400 cars. problem with fiddling with the scale stuff is it lures you in by price. AC cobra 20 bucks, Corvette grand sport 30 bucks? Sign me up..lol. Let the local scouts and church groups use it, but it never took off like I thought it should. Went on a few slot car sites and donated all the cars to deserving kids. Somewhere in New York there is a guy that now has about a 700 ft. layout. Must have a hell of a basement for that. Only things I kept are a hand built 40's style midget, and the Little Red Wagon. Not terribly rare, but special to me.

13. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

still have one of the first sets,, the cars had a vibrator motor I think i got it for xmas 1962

14. Sold all my stuff a few years back, kept a 1/24 or 1/32 scale willys roadster, and my dads fav a 67 RS Camaro, still have a few AF/X cars around somewhere, but they usually end up at the family yard sales...no room and no real intrest from my kids so I sold them off for project ca$h....
    I did make a killer deal once though, bought a box full of TJets at a yard sale for $15, and in the box was a Batmobile in its original plastic case, traded it for a 75 Trans Am(real car) 3 days later.
    Maybe when I retire my wife will let me set up a room for me and I can start again

15. white64

white64
    from Maine

I've got enough track to do the watkins glen four lane shown in the early model motoring book.... From when I was 13... bunch of cars, a few trucks, red dodge charger in the box. not enough room to set it up it's 16ft long and 8 feet wide when set up. But you know what's worse? Having those great memories of hours of racing... and today trying to find some one that will race you, my sons are just too busy... thinking of selling it all.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Wish you lived closer!! I'd race ya!! :D

17. BOBBYA312

BOBBYA312
    BANNED
    from Ala

Strombecker!!!Thats the ticket.Saved my lunch money and bought my 1st set in 1964.Still have a lot of track that I'm trying to sell now.Anybody need a Strombecker fix?

18. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry......Mine are all HO pancake style cars... Aurora and A/FX..

19. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Here's a rare factory built Aurora layout sold through FAO Schwartz in the mid 60's....I found it in Long Island and re-sold it some years ago.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. We were into them big back in the early 70's. Used to have our own modified racing series that was mentioned in Car Model Magazine back then.

Attached Files:

21. Deuces

Deuces

Auto World just came out with the John Force dragstrip set... The track pieces are compatable with the newer style Tomy A/FX track so you could build a scale 1/4 mile strip with a shut down area... The sets are on ebay right now... :)

22. Deuces

Deuces

Here's one of my little road racers... Plus I got a shit load more I need to take photos of... :D

Attached Files:

23. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Dad bought us (3 boys) a set when they first came out. Vibrator motors. 2 Corvettes and 2 Thunderbirds. We converted to the later style transformer, controls and cars when they changed a couple of years later. I still have the yellow Corvette and the 2 blue with black top Thunderbirds, along with a bunch of other cars from the 1960's and track. This thread brings back a lot of nice memories.

24. Two revell high banked raceway sets and some spare track to make this 4 x16. I always wanted a ho aurora tub track for the gameroom. I think someone on here has one.[​IMG]

25. Deuces

Deuces

Now I got the itch to build another 4 x 8 table like the one I built for my model car work bench... :D

26. ive got a BUNCh of older tyco track and cars and a few original afx cars last time i had the track set up i had to run 2 powerpacks per side so the cars could make it all the way around still had track left over one of these days im gonna finnally build my dream layout .......... would love to find some more of the old afx cars

i found a old aurora set in somebodys garbage (i used to be a garbage man not a picker) in the box it was from 69 had everything in it except the cars (of course) sold it on the bay a while back

27. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

Had the old vibrator cars too. I also had a semi with a trailer. Then I bought enough straights to make a scale quater mile dragstrip. Split the track up in 4 sections and wired it up so you had to "shift". The "shifting" was just a switch (lever) that moved from contact to contact to send the powere to each of the 4 sections.
    Had the '32 coupe and the '60 Corvette. Added rollbar to the Vette. Build some other bodies. Had a blast. Tried adding different voltages to each section (or the last section).
    Then wehn a bigger set came out with a X-mas tree, I added it. Used a solenoid the trip the foul light since it didn't fit the track.
    Had some little HO size people. Converted one to look like Miss Linda (used a little rubber compound to add a little to the shape) :)

28. This is a cool thread that brings back a lot of memories, I had the controls with the steering wheel, brake button, and reverse, I remember four controls in my set two grey and two tan. I had a variety of cars, riviera, red mustang fastback, coupe that I bought the "hop up kit" for and put truck wheels and dual soft slicks on back, tried like heck to build a floating drop pick-ups to create the wheelstands. Also remember tinting the windows. Wow, lots of fun building the drag strips. This really had an impact on me to remember all the details. A few years ago I bought some Tyco musclecars and the 60 Corvette. The kids took to it a little bit. I think I will dig it out for some fond memories. Nice to see alot of guys still cherish their childhoods.:)

29. Oh no another fire just got lit...looks like I have a new hobby!

30. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm.... Which shape were you talking about???... That gal is full of curves!!.. :D:)