Register now to get rid of these ads!

August 4 Banger Meeting!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Elrod

Elrod

I'm about to purchase a Reds Header for my Model A block. I was thinking that I'd rather purchase the header for the B motor so that if I upgrade to a B block down the line, I'm ready. I also like the look of the Model B Red's Header better.

When I spoke with the girl at Reds, she went off and asked someone about their interchangeablity, and came back and said you can't use the B header on an A because the B's flywheel housing is bigger, therefore the B header would not work on an A. This confused me and I wound up hanging up and coming on here to see if any of you had a weigh in on this matter.

Any thoughts?

Model A header

[​IMG]

Model B header

[​IMG]

2. my dad used a chevy tunned length header on his he had to cut the flange off tweak the pipes alittle then then put another flange on dont know if this helps but its allways a second option

oh by the way the engine was a model c 4banger because it had a counterbalanced crank

3. If you put a "B" into your "A" you use the "A" flywheel housing on your "B" block and away you go!

4. I think the Wieand was as good as any of the other heads, In fact I like the looks of it. What does the combustion chamber look like? I don't have any history but keep me in mind if you decide not to run it.

5. Model "A" "B" headers. I take the headers to a welding shop and have them lay a neat looking bead around the outside and then you can grind on the inside to blend the ports. Also match the intake to the header after you match the header plate to the intakes in the block. I know most know to do this but I am amazed by the people that just bolt everything together out of the box.

6. The 'B' header is designed to clear the stock mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine.
    If your not running the mechanical pump then there won't be an issue with what style of header you run.

7. Elrod

Elrod

Right. I'm aware that the B header clears the mechanical fuel pump. Is there a difference in where the collectors are situated between the A header and the B header. Reds made it sound like the B header was a totally different shape, like it hugged the block more, or maybe stood away from the block more than the A, therefore making in impossible to put a B header on an A block. I'm not sure of the difference or, from the pictures, why I couldn't us a B header on an A engine

Thats my ultimate question.... Can I put a "B" Reds header on an "A" block with "A" flywheel housing and "A" transmission. I like the look of the "B" header better, and the B header allows me upgradeablity down the road if I do switch to a B block.

8. Oh ok, I see.

The bell-housings differ in construction but as far as I'm aware they are dimensionally the same. Bell-housings, flywheels starter motors are all interchangeable between the 'A' and 'B' motors.

I've never heard of bell-housing clearance issues, only that the 'B' headers shaped to clear the fuel pump.

Look at the pictures on the reds website. The headers are identical apart from the 'B' header having the pipes positioned different for clearance of the fuel pump!

Just noticed Reds headers are not mandrel bent. There's some dodgy looking bends.

[​IMG]

9. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Promised pics earlier. Here they are.
    Little truck is totally stock except for hydraulic brakes, 16" Kelseys and later dizzy. Plans call for a Holley 94, Brumfield 6:1, and cast header. Maybe a cam later. It runs so well now that I kinda hate to mess with it, but I can't leave anything alone for long!
    I'm torn between leaving the fenders or removing them. What do ya'll think? I also thinking about lowering it about 4".
    I value your opinion.
    n

Attached Files:

10. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice truck! I'd be happy with that, for sure, and I'd be leaving the fenders on. A little lower would be good.

11. Elrod

Elrod

Right. The bends at Reds do look dodgy, but I was unaware of anyone making mandrel bent headers. Are they?

12. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Ok I am off, a few of us are going from the UK - ferries from Ramsgate are still not packed - 42miles from Ostend.

I think we are getting the 1.30pm ferry from Ramsgate

Should be a load of fun over the bank holiday weekend.

Any one who want's to go PM me...

[​IMG]

http://www.chopperbuilder.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=111644#111644

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

My vote: fenders on, lowered in the front a bit.

14. I am moving this discussion over here as it has nothing to do with Sawracers bitch'n engine project. I have a comment on the Winfield head clearance problem. I have run up to 9.5 compression ratio with a fiber gasket with no metal fire rings on my engine with the pistons .025 over the deck. This was with heads with no flycut and the engine had Al rods which grow. I have been told that chevy small block pistons grow as much as .035 but under what conditions? I don't think that the average warmed over 4 banger operates at any where near these extremes. The carburation on my engine doesn't operate well under 190F so I know the engine was warmed up before making 1/4 mile passes at 3700 to 3800 in 3 rd.gear and hitting 4000 in 2nd and 1 st and the pistons did not hit so I wonder if there is too much unneeded discussion on this subject. It just scares people and keeps them from enjoying their cars. This is MY experience and this is MY opinion. I am setting up my 8.5 CR 5/16" stroker with .020 popups and the supplier said the head gasket compresses to .060 the piston manufacturer won't guaranty if under .040. I machined .012 from piston tops. " I am not afraid "

15. I running close to 25 thou pop up with stock pistons and a no flycut Winfield head.
    I've never had the pistons hit.

Does the same apply to forged pistons with there greater growth though?

16. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

Jimmy B, this is slightly O/T, but is that a wankel rotary case temporarily holding your Whippet shell up?!

17. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Mine runs. Get in!!!

18. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

What a great weekend - I was the only four banger there.

The model b in the pic was broken

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What pic?

You entering the Meltdown, Simon?

20. Elrod

Elrod

The picture with the girls all over his car is the one I think he's talking about. The car from the event flyer.

21. Hey Guys,

Also don't have a problem with the Weber, but another alternative might be one off a Harley. They look good and if you are into it you can put 4 in a row, I think 2 work fine though. Need to make an intake manifold for it though.

22. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

babbitt bearings in the UK or what other methords are there for new bearings.

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Doh! Really ought to pay more attention...

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What you asking, Simon? Are your bearings getting noisy? If so you can drop the sump and check to see if you have any shims left to remove.
    A few of us over here are using inserted bearings, not cheap to do though. Probably be cheaper to have new babbitt poured. If you go this route, speak to Mike at Saturn Industries. He knows of a place that does good quality work for a very reasonable amount. A lot of the Model A club guys over here use them, but I can't remember the name of the company.

25. Yes it is, they make great stands ;)

26. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Thanks for the info

Inserts? - who by and how much?

27. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Pics of the weekend

Meltdown - mmmmmmmmmmm

My pickup is not very fast

21" wires

28. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

There is nothing wrong with my bearings I - just wanted to get another engine started.

as I have some spare engines

29. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Belchers in Norfolk did the inserts on mine and Clark's engines. Speak to Brent on here about inserts vs. babbitt before you get the cheque book out 'cos it ain't cheap to do.