Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2020 Banger Meet Thread - More of the Same***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Good to hear, Steve has been working his tuckis off on it
    Last year he was very close but the course was wet
    Looking forward to hearing tomorrow
    J

Old Dawg likes this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes John. He said he had a blown head gasket that he didn't know, apparently from last year. Got it changed and ran today. he has worked very hard to get to this point.
    I was surprised when he called to tell me. Last we talked he wasn't going this year and was going to start his move to your neighborhood. I'm sorry I wasn't there, to close to surgery for me anyway to be in that environment.
    There is next year. Hoping that the salt smiles on him tomorrow.

3. Do my eyes deceive, or does that girdle add to the stroke of the engine? How Big IS that "Banger"?

I've got near 13 to 1 with a graphite/steel head gasket! But it's on a Miller/CRAGAR OHV! I tried a sandwiched copper gasket I got from Dan Price. It didn't last more than a couple of hours! Though it was torqued too much. A "Doofus" ignored my admonition; and gave it 70 foot/pounds! I had told 50. nor more than 57 ft/ibs.! Solid copper (which I couldn't find) would have held that much force!

4. An ideal head gasket would be outta the same material and way that Cometic makes theirs! But, alas we have to do with what we CAN get! I've got Cometics on a '70 "Jimmy SBC 360 with a converted Detroit V670 supercharger and haven't blown a gasket since.

5. John,
    no the girdle sets the crank in the stock location, vintage rules do not allow moving it more than .125 from stock location. The model "A" "B" motor was never made to handle any compression, the deck is weak and thin.
    I run copper orings and solid copper gaskets or no gasket. tork to 55 ft/lbs and use ARP studs.
    Pete's center main support is pretty cool, I am just not convinced the crank isn't the weak link.
    John

kb9jlo, Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  6. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Checking in for the month started making some progress on my db roadster db roadster.jpg

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, Stave had electrical gremlins today and the engine shutdown on the first run...the back up run.
    They got a run in that was like 152, 2 mph over the record so they are back in impound and hopefully more faster tomorrow.

Jet96 and guitarguy like this.
  8. Welcome to Bonneville.
    I can feel for Steve, gremlins show up all the time.
    I had issues with a main switch in 2016, fought with it for 3 days, sometimes never getting off the line.
    He will make it, I have faith.

John

winduptoy likes this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

really good run !!! congrats

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Where does the crank come from? Are you fabricating it? or is it from another application?

11. Crank is billet build from SCAT or Velasco
    It is not for the faint hearted
    J

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  12. Yup! After my post I figured it out. I agree! That center main; and in fact the whole girdle is unique! With all that; that motor will rev up really quick with the less parasitic drag of two more mains! However the harmonics that manifest themselves near the rear main of a four-banger's crank are still to be dealt with! "Been there; Done that!"

Jet96 likes this.
  13. Crower also makes a 5-main crank. I'm guessing that they were made for the Donovan block! Don't know if they make a 3-main crank! I'm thinking (though I don't know for sure) that even with a stout 3 main crank; you might be risking something might still break back near the rear if the engine; if you are running that engine consistently in a high rev regimine! I broke at least three cranks before I went to three mains (I should've said FIVE) and a harmonic damper. Of course my engine is in a "Hard Charging" race car whose engine runs between 800 and 5500 rpm every 5 minutes for as long as a 1/2 hour!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  14. John,
    yes Crower made the crank for the Donovan motors, very nice pieces.
    The problem, as I see it is that the 3 bearing layout (bearings) leads to the failure, small diameter and long.
    With the limited mods allowed in the block another solution must be found.
    The "C" cranks break off the flywheel flange without the welded seal modification.
    Some people have had really good luck with the harmonic balancers, not so much here, if it works use it.
    I really like seeing the innovation and solutions that people come up with, especially when the machining is done properly. Well done, Pete.

Off to the shop, vacation is great! J

nutrocker and Old Dawg like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel for him too, but it is early in the week.
    He is methodical & persistent he will get it it done

16. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG] Steve did it he set. record it must be that top-secret cylinder head that Burley made

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes,
    You beat me to it yahoo!!!!!
    It is part Burley head, part greased lightening

guitarguy, Old Dawg, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  18. Congratulations to Steve!!

J

19. WOW! Good going! And to all you wild speed demons! Over the years I was working; having flown over that course a number of times (with a load of passengers) going back and forth between Salt Lake City and San Francisco. I cringe as to what you guys have to put with! Keep it up!

Jet96 likes this.
  20. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I'm about to install the camshaft in my B-engine, I have located a dimple on the camshaft timing gear but can't find a matching mark on the crankshaft.

Any ideas on how to get it right?

thumbnail_IMG_0004.jpg

21. Mikko,
    I think the gear is installed backwards, look on the other side.
    But, the timing mark is the tooth that is directly in line with the key in the gear.
    Because the gear is helical, the face of the tooth is the one on the right hand side.
    The helical tooth in the center of the gear, follow it to face.

John

Mikko_ and winduptoy like this.
  22. What is a Burley head?
    Is that "Mid western" slang for Brierley?
    I am going to start calling him that now......

J

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Burl that posts on here
    Far, far cry from the other guy.
    It is a combustion chamber like no other except on some T heads that.... Well, this is @patina steve deal and if he wants to reveal...

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , might want to be careful there

very likely they are correct on gear on backwards

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steves46, barrnone50, waxhead and 5 others like this.
  26. Steve,
    I just know how the indexing is done on the crank gear, having modified enough..........

27. winduptoy likes this.
  28. railcarmover

railcarmover

29. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Dan’s gears are too purdy to use

Old Dawg, Jet96 and johnneilson like this.
  30. railcarmover

railcarmover

Anybody run a mitchell synchro model a trans? it pencils out against a clings kit with a V8 box..thinking about putting one in front of a 26% OD I have with a modified flathead..

kb9jlo likes this.