Register now to get rid of these ads!

August 2012 banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hapydz, Jul 31, 2012.

1. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Looking for 1940-42 pre WWII era model A and model B banger engine pics.

2. RussTee

RussTee

SpeedyBills site is good to show parts but they are not as built engines the pictures that Crazy has just posted are ideal as that is a as built motor showing all the parts as they where assembled it is hard to scratch build a motor like that nowdays and the cost of finding all those parts makes a blown small block chev look cheap.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Russ

It's all expensive....... Good stuff, bad stiff wheels people brought from PepBoys, manifolds that didn't work ........doesn't matter I wouldn't be caught dead using a Sun Tach but the buzz is up and people that were never there buy them.

Small block Chevy's cheap? No more........

Like all speed stuff engines got pushed and broken far more than they should have

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't understand this .http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Inline-4-Cylinder.html is a lot of assembled banger engines. Again, they saved the best for last.

5. ebtm3

ebtm3

Check out http://www.nwvs.org/ plenty of engine photos, and even more of cars--speedsters and race.

Herb

6. Fenders

Fenders

Here is a T engine with what I believe is an OHV conversion....

Attached Files:

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That is a 2 port Chevy head on a T engine. Fairly modern adaptation.

8. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

These are great links, thanks so much.

9. RussTee

RussTee

You are right there Bluto I prefer the good old Smiths Pod type

10. RussTee

RussTee

Rich yes there are some in fact quite a few but most are display engines certainly most of those on the web site as they where built motors often have homemade parts as well as showing what was put together as state of the art in a given snap of time as stated earlier before ww1 or ww2 we tend to over build nowdays using good parts from all the periods critical yes but it is what happens. This does not mean that these motors are better sometimes they are worse and we struggle to understand why they did what they did but thats what they did and what is so interesting.

11. mngreen

mngreen

Like mine? :rolleyes:

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    He did that last year.
    Racing just got started today for this years race.

13. Senior moment, didn't look at the date, popped up fresh this AM

14. A couple of pictures I took this weekend after installing the mag on the "B".
    Ron

Attached Files:

15. RussTee

RussTee

It looks good Ron how does it perform on the street?

16. Thanks Russ. I haven't fired it yet with the mag but I'm happy to report, it seems to be better than I expected on the street. Still a bit of adjusting to be done on the TV Cable (yes, it has an GM 200c Auto) which is easy to do. Starts good, idles nice and responds as it should. Changing out the '36 waterpump today with a NOS one I have as the one on the engine now spits out a bit of grease at higher revs. All in all Russ, I'm tickled pink !
    Ron
    p.s. the carb flooding is no longer :D

Attached Files:

17. Happy daz

Is the block a newer type model "B"? I noticed you replied the post from a member looking for a 41-42 model "B" type engine. Was there a big difference between the different engines?

I got my RPU home yesterday. I displayed it at a Boars Nest during the Sturgis Motorcycle rally. It is a bar and grill that is kind of cool. The owner is an old hot rodder and has a lot of gas pumps, old cars and motor cycles on display. They must have sold a lot of hamburgs because the car is covered with a film of grease. I missed not having it home. Maybe the dog will help with the cleanup.

You engine looks good and the magneto is a nice addition.

Attached Files:

18. I think he was just looking for '41-'42 era pictures of B engines, if I'm not mistaken Sturgis. Loved your comment regarding the clean-up of your rod!!!
    Thanks, Ron

19. RussTee

RussTee

Will be interested to hear how it goes Ron I heard they may stumble in heavy traffic that is why I ask I will be using one of Pat Garys very nice front drive distributor plates with a electronic dizzy. I was even told that my Winfield carbs will play up in traffic the other day but I am hoping that with a proper rebuild (gaskets springs ect )they should give no trouble.

20. RussTee

RussTee

Sturgis that Sturgis run must be one of the must dos in a mans life you must have been proud to have had it on display gives a new meaning to a well greezed ride though!

21. Russ; I think I enjoy fussing with this stuff as much as I enjoy building it. I really like trying to try to solve the problems that arise, with help from the HAMB and friends, as much as I like driving them. When I was building sailboats, I think I enjoyed the building as much as the sailing. I don't look forward to the day that the roadster, no longer needs my help and I don't think I can sneak another project by the kitchen window as I have been a bit of a project pig most of my adult life...:eek:
    Ron
    p.s. a picture of the Grand Rapids seminar on bangers...lol

Attached Files:

• GR 5.jpg
      GR 5.jpg
      File size:
      420.8 KB
      Views:
  22. I do not know how they count the people that attend the Rally. There are several big campgrounds the have concerts every night. I lot of local residents leave town and rent out their homes. Every main street in every town in the Black Hills is packed with bikes. It should have been a big rally this year. There are usually only three bikes on Lead's main and this year there were four, Lead has some issues and the city fathers seem to try things that are stupid and do not work. They estimate there is between 400,000 to 600,000 people that attend this yearly event. They come from all over the world. We went to the Buffalo Chip Campground last year and saw Bob Dillon and Kid rock.

There were eight or nine bikers killed this year. The highway in front of my place is a constant roar. Sounds like a never ending thunder storm. The rally is about three weeks long. People come early and late to miss the crowds.

23. Don't Know why they should "play up" in traffic if tuned right and proper sized air bleeds. The carburetors were originally designed to replace stock carburetors on daily drivers.

24. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Bill thats my understanding as well here everyone thinks they are racing carbs instead of better carbs

25. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

RussTee

That sounds like more of a negative urban legend by those that don't own/understand them. Much like the one on flathead V8s always overheating!

Cheers,
    Rob

26. RussTee

RussTee

Rob funny that aint it they say if you buy a flathead it will blow up next week I think they kinda forget how long they have been around. However I do prefer my electronic ignition for easy of starting and trouble free performance I use old Nisson dizzies bang them in a wee tweak on the rolling road just to dial them in and never touch them.

27. RussTee

RussTee

Ron I have owned and driven my RP for 40 years and I dont call it finished sure I could have gone out and brought a car that would go several times as fast and would be far more comfortable but would it be as much fun NAH I had a 34 coupe once Chev motor supercharger drank gas and snaked all over the place didnt enjoy it no character but the RP fun been everywhere been laughed at went places a four wheel drive woudnt go and i hope to god it is never finished why because like yours its fun my kids grew up with it and used it as a wedding car and always ask hows the truck never mind the old bugger (Me) the truck comes first yep thats what its about.

28. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

RussTee,

My wife drove her '36 coupe everywhere, every day and we took it on holidays whenever we went. Only ever had three minor issues, noisey throwout bearing (she used the clutch pedal as a pseudo foot rest), fuel filter clogged and one water pump seal I replaced. That was a stock 221 with a 350 Holley that was on it when we bought it so I left it alone.

We now return you to normal banger programming ;-)

Rob