Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn paint gurus: PPG DBU problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mashed, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I ran into a problem mixing up some old base and reducer to shoot today. It doesn't want to mix up. It's almost like it's coagulating. Won't even run through the strainer.

It's PPG DBU from a few years ago and looks normal. The DRR reducer is from the same job and also seems normal. Together it's a clotting nightmare.

I'm not yet ready to toss the root beer metallic and am wondering if it's possible the reducer has gone bad? Money's tight so new supplies are out of the question. However I might swing for a can of reducer if it seems to be the culprit.

If not, spray bombs it is.

Any ideas? I appreciate it.

[​IMG]

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The reducer has gone bad...once it's opened you'd better use it all up...otherwise it's done...!!! Reactive reducer will not last once it's opened.

The paint is prolly OK...just buy some new reducer.

R-

3. Yup. Bad DRR
    You do know you don't have to use DRR---DT will work fine--as long as you follow the P sheets and don't load up the first coat of clear real wet and slow.
    I still use DBU...always with DT reducer. :cool:

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

RIGHT ON! Used some DT870. Just like downtown, man.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Even I learned something new today...wasn't aware DT could be used...Thanx Earl Schieb...!!!

R-

6. DT works in DBU....good to know..........now that I tossed it all two weeks ago! :rolleyes:

7. Sporty45

Sporty45

Interesting. I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know what ratio to use? DBU with DRR reducer is 1 to 1 1/2, and DBC with DT reducer is 1 to 1. So if using the DT reducer with DBU which ratio should I use?

I have a few quarts of DBU that I'd hate to throw out!

8. Sporty45

Sporty45