Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Attention Missouri and Florida HAMBERS (or anyone)....have you seen this truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Merge, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Merge

Merge

Let me start off by saying that this isn't a hot rod, but it is the correct era vehicle for the site and I'm on a hunt that I think most of you can appreciate.

Back in 1948/1949, my great grandfather and great great grandfather bought a brand new 1949 3/4 ton GMC truck from a dealer in St. Louis with two huge bags of quarters they had saved. The truck was painted dark green with livestock racks installed on the bed. They had "Mergelkamp Farms" or possibly "Joe Mergelkamp Farms" painted on the doors. (I don't have a pic, but know something close to that was painted on the doors). Fast forward to around 1995 and my grandfather sold the truck to a man from Duquion, Illinois. From there I'm not too sure what happened, but a relative told me that a couple years ago they saw the truck at a car show near the Cape Girardeu, Missouri area. Supposedly the truck is still in it's original condition with the door paint.

I hadn't really thought about the truck much lately until today. I got to talking with grandpa at our Christmas gathering and he was telling some very memorable stories about that truck. Some of the stories included delivering strawberries to the famous Soulard market in St. Louis. He also included a couple stories of getting Christmas trees in that truck too. At the end of the conversation, he told me that he "Really wishes I hadn't sold Dad's truck that time".

So now the hunt is on! I am at a point in life that I could possibly buy this truck, or at least locate it and see it once again. If anyone has any ideas or remembers seeing the truck at a show or something, please let me know. Possibly there are some River City Rodder members on the board that could help me out. Like I said before, the last time the truck was spotted was near the Cape Girardeu/Jackson, Missouri area.

Thanks!
    Chad

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nothing around Spfld., but will keep my eyes opwn.

3. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

the cape girardeu swap is in the middle of Feb. It may pop in there or at least
    There is one that fits that description except I do not remmeber name on side . its at a landscape company in fenton on rt30 , It can be bought . I'll try to dig up the pics

4. Merge

Merge

I just spoke with a distant relative that heard the truck was sold a while back to a person in Florida! Anyone down there seen it around........................

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Good Luck finding it Chad! Ill keep an eye out around here just in case.

6. ryno

ryno

any way to look up the vin #?

7. Merge

Merge

I may resort to that, but I would almost have to get my grandpa involved. I'd love for it to be a big surprise to him if possible. I'll see what I turn up in the next couple of weeks first.