Register now to get rid of these ads!

Atlas 5 spoke mag wheels......History please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Nov 20, 2010.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Whats the story on the Atlas 5 spokes that came on the Yenko cars? I read recently on another thread that Don Yenko had these made in a foundry in Pennsylvania. Were they also sold to the public through other outlets? Do they have any special markings on them besides the center cap?

They look alot like the 5 spoke wheel that E-T made.

I've always wondered what the story was behind these wheels and figured someone here might know.

2. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

3. Jibs

Jibs

OK I know this. Altas Foundry was in Atlasburg, PA, about 20 miles from Canonsburg, PA & Yenko Chevrolet. Atlas sold these wheels thru gas stations and garages in this area starting around May 1967. I know this because my Dad had a Sunoco station about a mile from Yenko Chevrolet, & my Dad sold Atlas wheels. The picture is of my 1967 Buick GS 400 with Atlas wheels, picture was taken in June of 1967. The wheels on my GS were dark almost black spokes with a brush finish on the rims, the center caps were a cast white metal chromed with an A on them. I should have a better picture of the GS from the side showing the wheels, will post it when I find it.

Attached Files:

4. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thank you very much for the info! Look forward to more pics of your GS!