Register now to get rid of these ads!

At Estate Sale-- help me ID these hubcaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Apr 16, 2009.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

can't do a picture from here, but am looking at some hubcaps at an estate sale. they are in great condition, but need help id'ing them.

DESCRIPTION:

- center of cap has logo of man with hat w/ wings on it.
    - mostly a ripple cap... had 6 ripples.

if anyone knows real quick i'd love it. hell, im probably going to buy them anyway, as they're beautiful.....

i'll share a pic later.

thanks,

-scott noteboom

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

any other good stuff there? I'm up the road in Fremont. what's an estate sale doing going on at 6:00

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

6. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

look to be 15" caps. definitely not 14".

estate sale is on lincoln in sunnyvale ( http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/gms/1123015577.html .) i was able to walk around after it closed, as we were picking up furniture that wife bought earlier.

the merc caps are 15". i'll post a pic in a bit. i paid $40 bucks for them.

we bought a 1940's fridge in great shape, a brand new old polaroid, a bitchen 40's bedroom set, a camping transister radio, some old US made tools (soldering iron, timing light, compression gauge, volt mater, etc.)

lady who died was 90 years old. they lived here since 1946 (i talked to the son.)

still some good stuff. no more good tools or car stuff though :)

thanks,

-scott noteboom

7. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

similar, but no...... mine have 6 ripples and a white background in the center merc logo. whatever year, they are in NOS condition.

-scott noteboom

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Those estate sales were soneone has lived in the same house for 50+ years are the best, real time warps in many cases. Sounds like you did real well.

9. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

here is a pic:

[​IMG]

looks to be slightly different than what i see searching '53 or '54.

thanks,

-scott noteboom

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Yeah,Mercury,I've got one...Figures when you find ones you like they're orphans?
    Good score!

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I love those sales. I went to one out there in San Jo where the two ladies were in thier 90's and were both born in the house and never moved away. great house. totally unmolested. prolly had the original furniture in it. they are only original once you know.

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

ok, look to be 1956 mercury caps. i think $40 bucks for a pair is a pretty good deal, as they're clearly are or like new.

thanks for the help. i love estate sales.

-scott noteboom

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

14. pastlane

pastlane

My real job is setting estate sales up. Can be a true time warp going through some of these houses. The house I worked on this week, the man was part of the Normany beach invasion. He married a woman that was part of the French resistance. Found all sorts of military stuff and paperwork relating to both of their wartime efforts. Once back home he became an electrical contractor and saved everything. Lots of neon and cool architectural hardware.
    Last month I brought home a NOS Stellings air cleaner but I'm still waiting for the major hot rod stash find. I've found tons of cool paper and many tools but very little hot rod stuff.

15. Man, I'm too tired, I thought you were asking about a dude with six nipples and I'm like WTF?

Anyways, estate sales are fun sometimes. I picked up some model trains that aren't in any of the guide books for that brand at one of the ones I went to a few years back. I went to one for an old garage that used to be a Kaiser dealer back in the day, last spring, but most of the good stuff went to other people - they did the whole attic in one big lot, of course, because it was a bitch to get stuff down the stairs (more like a ladder)... I think you could have sold 5 things out of it and had the money back for what it sold for.

16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Man those are sick!! Great score!!