I gave them as many chances to work well as I could. My drum brakes just weren't satisfactory. Usually they would stop straight but once in a while they would pull one way or the other. Sometimes pretty hard. I tried different shoes, which made it better, almost good enough. But once in a while they would still act up. It was driving me crazy. So I bit the bullet and bought a disc brake kit for my 1954 Corvette. It was a breeze to install, but I felt a little guilty about copping out on the drums. The rest of the car is so period correct looking I didn't like the fact that you could see the rotors and calipers through the wheels. Sure they had disc brakes in the 50's but they weren't common. Once the kit was installed I had an idea. Check this out. I took my plasma cutter and cut the ring off an old drum.