Register now to get rid of these ads!

Artilleries with Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moonglow, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Moonglow

Moonglow

Hey Guys,

I'm considering using early Chevy Artillery wheels up front with disc brakes. The wheels are 17" with a 5 lug (4-1/4") bolt pattern. See photo.

Seems like there are no disc kits to fit '37-'41 style spindles with this pattern, only 5 lug (4-1/2") and 5 lug (4-3/4") blot patterns.

Question A: Anyone know of a source for disc kits to fit the 4-1/4" pattern for '37-'41 spindles?

Question B: Anyone have experience/advice on having disc kits machined to a 5 lug (4-1/4") lug pattern?

Attached Files:

2. burger

burger

this might be crazy talk... but i have an idea.

the chevy truck parts suppliers sell kits to put disc brakes with a 6-lug bolt pattern onto 49-54 chev spindles. i don't remember the details, but it is possible to fit those chev spindles to a ford axle.

edit: i just realized that you have 5-lug rims. i don't think those are early chevy. for what it's worth, chevy made 16" 6-lug rims that look like the one you posted.

ed

3. Moonglow

Moonglow

Thanks Ed,

Yup these really are early 30's Chevy artillery wheels from Chevy "Standards".

BTW, I'm running 17" Chevy 6 lug artillery wheels out back (on a Toyota truck rear end).

Here's a recent photo:

Attached Files:

4. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Yep those are Chevy, or at least Gm. I have the same wheel on my 33 PU and there's a GM stamp on the inside of the rim. The bastard 4.25 bolt circle doesn't work with anything I found off the shelf.

I'm running a small Ford 9-inch with 1inch adaptors on the rear and on the front I'm running Wilson Welding hubs with a custiom drilled pattern mounted on Buick Drums with 39 Lincoln style brakes, all running on Superbell spindles. I finally got all to fit together but it wasn't easy.
    One of the biggest problems I ran into was the small center of the Chevy wheels. I had to machine extra material off the nose of the hub to get the wheels to seat.

I'd find a disk set up that has a hub nose that fit's through the wheel center and then have the disk hub area drilled to 4.25

Attached Files:

5. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

you really have to watch the artillery wheel bolt pattern deal i tried to point out to a ebay seller his

6. Moonglow

Moonglow

trouble having understanding point your puctuation without :confused:

7. Moonglow

Moonglow

Could I use adapters like you did out back? Why didn't you use them up front too?

8. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Sure, you could use them up front.
    The main reason I didn't use spacers on the front was the amount of standoff I'd have from the face of the drum to the back of the rim.
    The Wilson Welding hubs mount on the outside of the drum and are like half and inch thick, adding a spacer of at least one inch would push the rims out even further. I mocked it up that way and didn't like the proportions. Way too skateboard for my taste
    I also wasn't crazy about running spacers on my steer tires, Kind of like running re-treads on the front, didn't feel right to me.

9. Moonglow

Moonglow

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the feedback.

10. Moonglow

Moonglow

Any other thoughts, guys?

11. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

OK this is OT:
    Dude, I just read your profile, I'm an industrial designer too.
    I wonder how may other ID guys are on this board?