Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Art Linkletter's "House Party" Top Fuel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, May 27, 2010.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

DID YOU KNOW ....

Television host Art Linkletter passed away May 26 at age 97. Linkletter’s House Party and People Are Funny shows originated from Hollywood and he was a big celebrity in the 1960s and ‘70s. He was famous for interviewing children and was the author of “Kids Say the Darnedest Things.”

[​IMG]

Art Linkletter, his late daughter Diane, and Bill Holland (kneeling at right) by the "Art Linkletter's House Party" Top Fuel car. John Guedel is in the driver’s seat. The occasion was the 1968 Santa Claus Lane Parade down Hollywood Blvd. (photo courtesy Bill Holland)

Story from DRO

2. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

RIP Art, didn't know he owned a top fuel dragster.

3. W Scott

W Scott

In a Top Fuel match race here at Firebird, in foothills outside Boise, way back in `68 or early `69 - the "Art Linkletter" dragster competed against Dwight Salisbury in the "Beach Boys" Fueler. I was 8 at the time. Dwight let me and my two brothers sit in his dragster before firing it up. Bill Holland loves to tell the story when they finished their run, at the end of the track, they started heading back to the return road (this was before an official return road had been finished and paved, since the track had only been open a few months) and you had to come back up the track for a couple hundred feet before reaching the return road itself. As the two fuelers were towing back up the track, here comes a Hemi Cuda Super Stock car on a full pull. Bill said it was a real attention getter, but no harm, no foul. Now those were the days!

Scott New

4. rockguy92

rockguy92

I grew up watching Art on TV. I think its cool he owned a T/F car. RIP Art.
    The Rock

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Cool stuff that he was into cars!
    Always enjoyed his radio show.
    RIP Art...

6. true icon....but a go fast guy too????priceless!!!!! RIP ART...........

7. narlee

narlee

He had some great stuff. Sad to see him go.

8. Man, I remember watching "House Party" as a kid! Art Linkletter was involved in many business ventures; including oil and gas, real estate, and film well into his early 90s. The man definitely lived a full and rewarding life, no doubt. And he owned a Top Fueler, to boot. How cool is that?

9. RDR

RDR

great to hear someone like Art Linkletter had a real life and was a T/Fueler sponsor/owner...kind of like "the rest of the story, huh?... Remember how surprised I was when I saw at the NHRA museum that Robert Stack (TV Elliot Ness in Untouchables) was a Muroc roadster racer in his early years...Another one for the good old days! RIP Art

10. I heard he passed, didn't know about the top fuel car. Cool! :)

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Watched Art Linkletter show for years. I drag raced from 69 through 73 and never knew he was into drag racing.Losing people like Art and others we looked up to is tough to swallow. The world is a better place because of him.

chryslerfan55 and uncle buck like this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sincerely loving the turn this is taking. Awesome, big respect for a legend in his time. If you have some white in your hair (or lots of skin!) Art Linkletter was a staple. Damn good stuff here.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Digging deep in the archives there, eh Jocko? Back in the day when we only got 3 TV channels (and maybe a local UHF station or two), guys like Art were a real presence in our young lives. Who knew he had this side to him? :cool:

14. Art was a good friend of Walt Disney, and helped Walt out with money when he needed it to complete Disneyland.

15. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Anyone know whether it was a "love of fast cars" thing or a $$/promotion thing with Mr. Linkletter?

16. frank spittle

frank spittle

Can someone post a picture of that car. I am older than dirt and watched his programming but didn't know his name was on a T/F dragster.

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks dreracecar

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

Art's show was a staple at our house when I was a kid. Cool he was involved with a fueler.