Register now to get rid of these ads!

are you kidding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by o2bdone, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cretin

cretin

I thought you could legally turn around and as long as nothing was wrong with the car or you didn't do anything illegal as you turned around they couldn't pull you over. Did I get some wrong info?

2. The original post says smoke comes out the breather, its not water. I dont see any post by him saying his radiator was puking steam. The cop said that. Just hook up a PCV valve so it burns up the smoke bypassing the rings.
    And every engine has some blowby. Old engines were not designed to reburn this smoke so you should be OK as its grandfathered.

3. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

I take it you have a lot of Renaissance Fairs over where you live? ;)

You messed up by trying to avoid the check point. Sounds like the cops were given a little attitude and they gave it back. The young cop was being cool but had to do his job like his boss told him to. He was trying to let you know he didn't personally have a problem with your car by just giving you a fix it ticket and by complimenting you car. You guys didn't pick up on it so he got tired of hearing it.
    You should have thanked him. There are good and bad in every state, cops and hot rodders included.

4. As I read through this again, a question came to mind. How did they see the "Steam" (which i don't think it was) in the first place? Do you have a hood? Was it smoking so much that it was coming out with a hood on? Did they ask you to open your hood and then see it? (in which case you can refuse to open it, unreasonable search & seizure I believe).

5. I guess with anything walk away learning something never try to turn out of line in a check point as for did i tell the truth yes i was not trying to hide anything because i have nothing to hide i have worked hard and sacrificed to much to risk losing my car so i would never even put myself in situation where that would be a possibility But, in times like these where money is short and times are hard you look to the thing that you can still afford to do and cruiseing around is one of them.

6. I hate to say it but I totally agree with this. Turning around was your first mistake...no matter what the reason. That IS the reason they would pull you over once you do it. As for the steam, fix it if you can. If not, take your "rule book" for your ride (can/can't dos, exemptions, etc) and hope for the best.
    Either way, at least you have a good attitude about it all. If'n you have to pay for a ticket to enjoy your ride from time to time, so be it.

When I had my 66 Mustang, I was pulled over for my shifter getting stuck (needed new tranny) which always led me to popping the hood and taking a broom handle to knock the teeth back in place, and thankfully he let me go because it wasn't something really "wrong" just fouled up sometimes. It was aggrivating but it happens.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got a seat belt ticket a few weeks ago. Lil bitch pulled me over for rolling a stop sign, at night, in the country, no traffic, didn't really roll it that bad either. She was bored maybe? I took my belt off to get my paperwork while I was waiting for her to get to the car (I dunno what she was doing). Immediately I turned on my dome light and shut the car off. She said you're not wearing your seat belt and I explained why. She fuckin wrote it anyway. What does that have to do with crime and public safety? Nothing. Money pure n simple. In Dearborn Hgts, MI they stand on the street corners of busy intersections at times, look in the cars and radio out to FOUR OTHER FUCKIN CARS the plate number of the vicious criminal in question. You gotta wonder how many crimes are committed while they're busy makin money. I didn't wear my belt that day. I knew a big rain storm was comin in and was hoping for it. I got pulled over and purposely kept digging for my "papers" and lo n behold the skys open up with a rain of nearly biblical proportions. He threw my driver license back at me and yelled "PUT YOUR BELT ON!" as he ran to his car. Rebel? Me?. Fuckin eh.

Back on topic, don't get too steamed up about it...follow through and get it signed off. Good luck with that.

And for the record, I don't want to live in CA either. Be glad the rest of you CA residents:D

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

He, he, he......
    With that, it’s thirty degrees out, cloudy and spitting snow, I’m going out to tool around in my oil-burning Jalopy with dual straight pipes, without a inkling that I’ll get pulled over for anything less than a blatant moving violation…………:D
    Goodby all.....

Attached Files:

9. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Please lets not turn this into California bashing. Please don't make me have to tell all of you about your shitty states and the shitty places you live around the world.

10. lakesmod

lakesmod

I was raised in Ontario (1948-1968) my father had a Chevron gas station at 304 E. Holt. Holt originally was "A" ST and that was route 66.

Fred

11. As I read through this again, a question came to mind. How did they see the "Steam" (which i don't think it was) in the first place? Do you have a hood? Was it smoking so much that it was coming out with a hood on? Did they ask you to open your hood and then see it? (in which case you can refuse to open it, unreasonable search & seizure I believe)

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
    Just because you can doesn't mean you shou

Yes you could see it with the hood on i got pulled over at night and the head lights were picking up the steam coming from under the hood it does not steam alot just after you have run the car for a long period of time ,Im not worried im just going to take the car to the police station to get it sighned off a bit of an inconvinience yes but what you are you going to do.Im not mad at the cop just irritated that he did not even send someone knows about cars if her was going to be writting a fine for my car if he would have given me a chance i could have opend my hood and shown him i offered to do so but he said that his boss just told him to write a fine for exhaust products oh well live and learn thanks again guys for all the feed back

12. 61TBird

61TBird

That's better!

I enjoyed your post the other day about driving in the snow and a guy asking if you had 4wd.
    Be careful of "the other" guy while cruising.

Also,it's "only" 56 degrees and Sunny in San Jose and we just had a small (4.3) Earthquake

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  13. RichG

RichG

I don't just tell the truth, I look 'em in the eye and act respectful..."Yes sir, no sir". Sure I'm sucking up to him, he has a freakin' GUN! ...and the legal right to use it, within the rules...:eek:

Of course it doesn't hurt that I've never had a moving violation on my record, ever...but I think it's more about attitude than anything.:D

14. RichG

RichG

:p:confused::p Are you serious? Bored?

"Golly gosh, that guy just rolled through a stop, I sure wish he wouldn't do that, it wasn't bad this time, but next time he might screw up. Oh, wait, I'm a cop! I warn him about it being unsafe, as I am sooOO bored!"

I wish we had a smiley that was laughing and rolling on the floor...:D

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

yeah, I've seen your cops. They are too busy standing around open manholes or guarding sidewalk repairs....

16. RatRod65GMC

RatRod65GMC

I just heard on a Shreveport Louisiana radio station on my way to work this morning that their law enforcement officers were gonna start "cracking down" on cruising.

17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

That and your wife giving her opinion of what the Officers job is

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think you guys are getting blow by confused with steam. Is it running hot or is it coming out of the road draft tube?

19. She's a "Lil Bitch" cuz she pulled you over for breaking the law? That's funny :eek:

20. Well there you go - another "hoodlum" out and about in his Mercury! We've got to nip this in the bud - yep - nip it in the bud or else the streets will be full of hoodlums driving Mercurys with steam escaping.....:D

21. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I woulda figured they had enuff money in dearborn heigths to start with... Your gonna go fight that ticket arent you ?
    Dave

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ask and you shall receive :D
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I don't understand that logic either :confused:

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

Steam is water vapor.
    No way is that 'pollution'

24. I would go with the above suggestions of taking it in while it is not as hot as it was idling in line, and go ahead and change the oil, with something thicker than you might usually use..unless you already put 50 wt or similar in it.

You could probably get away with the overheating in line routine. If and only if your engine doesn't smoke like a mosquito fogger truck.

Yes the cops were probably trying to find something to inconvenience you. Just like writing tickets for dirty windshield, or tattered wiper blades..

25. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

26. Well it sounds like first of all it's not steam, but oil vapor. And if you can see it with the hood closed you really ought to think about rebuilding that puppy because that sounds like a lot of blow by.
    Hope you get it signed off, good luck.

27. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Perhaps the instalation of a PCV setup might serve to satisfy the authorities...

(I am sure someone has said so already, but I don't want to read all of the posts before stating my opinion.) :D

And it COULD be water vapor and not a worn engine, with no PCV, water vapor will condense in the oil on "short runs", and then turn back to vapor as the temp of the oil excedes 212 or so degrees...

28. Yeah, the cop can't tell steam from smoke. That's why folks get tazered for wanting to know the reason of thier detainment. The badge got in the way of the officer's understanding that a question of intent is not a refusal to accept authority. You can say whatever, but I will get very little action when I've been a robbed, vandalizied or affected by some other crime. When my bike pipes are loud, some kid has blue lights behind his wheels or a farmer wanders too close to town with a fenderless trailer there will be the attention of at least three cops and maybe a "traffic investigator". That is because those are all easy targets and require nothing from the revenue enhancement industry.

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Where do you find this stuff lady?

30. RichG

RichG

Thank you, too cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.