Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are these FRONT tires too tall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 29, 2006.

1. I think in these situations that if you think that they are too tall, then you already know that something is bugging you about the look and if you are like me you will get several opinions and eventually do what you need to for the right look in your minds eye. That being said, I think they are a bit too tall. I guess if they were tall and skinny like the Moroso drag tires, it might work, for roll out purposes as mentioned earlier in this thread, but my first gut reaction is they are too big, for what its worth.........:)

2. Wesley

Wesley

I think you nailed it.

3. I'm trying to keep it an easy transition to stock, because i don't plan on keeping this one too long. Just something i want to do for a minute. Besides, i'm going more Super Stock than Gasser, so the 165's are too short for this look. Still got the Altered. If i don't sell it when i'm done with some other shit around here i want to put it on the street and make some "nut runs" up Clybourn (a street that parrallels the Burbank Airport runway 1/2 a block from my house)

4. You think "WHO" nailed it?

5. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

If you gotta ask.......they probably are regardless of what anybody thinks.

6. Anderson

Anderson

I KNOW you didn't know that off the top of your head...:D

7. old beet

old beet

Does this dress make my ass too big?.....Looks fine to me!...OLDBEET

8. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

groucho most of the old super stockers ran a moroso front tire about a 7.50 15 tall and very thin ... worked great on cutting a light with a big car...

9. Custom54

Custom54

Looks real good the way it is, but maybe you should be loooking at the rear tires. If you went one size bigger on the back the front tires would look smaller.

10. dave s

dave s

i like it. it has a good look to it. not too extreme, but just the right altitude in front to make it known that theres more than a stock car sitting there...

11. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...
    While'st we be yap'n about the Olds 442 thought I'd plug in a pic of the Barinbow Olds. This car ran NHRA out of the East coast, set a few records and won a national event along the way.
    I've attended and drag raced since the 60s and never seen a car launch quite like this car. Ran against it once with a 65 Goat at Sanford Dragway in Maine.. We lost big time
    Rumor has it that the car was DC'd at a national event for be'n out of stock... Never saw the car again till 98 at a show in Boston where it was said that the car was parked after the DC deal, the owner died and left the car to his crew chief. This car is as it was in the 6os
    Pontiac Slim

Attached Files:

12. the effect of avery tall tire on a narrow 14 rim is the look you seek... the flat /tall side wall is the ticket
    what you wont find isthis look in radials a m/t sportsman tire is close but the tread is widerthese wer the tallest skinniest v/w/import tirethat could be found..( roll out )
    the other issue is the "look" is achieved at 50 psi (no sidewall bulge0
    again for roll out and minimal tread to pavement contact

try to find some vintage pics and measure /compare the rims and sidewall height ..
    if the rim is 14 then the sidewall is?
    if the rim is 15 then the sidewall is?

remember this whole set up was for draggin a nd was dangerous cornering at speed and on wet roads
    be cautious the look vs drivability rears its ugly head..

paperdog