Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are these axles worth the trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by utahdodge, Apr 4, 2021.

1. utahdodge

utahdodge

IMG_6868.JPG IMG_6871.JPG IMG_6869.JPG

I am gathering parts for a prewar gow job style model a 5 window coupe build. I know of this old “bee wagon” in a local field. These axles are under it. 37-39 ford correct? It would take a little work to haul them out of the field. Would it be worth the trouble? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

hell yes , they are 1936, rear radius rods are usable or saleable ,and 35/36 rear axle tubes if worn can be swapped side to side /turned upside down so as to give a as new spot for the rear bearings to run on , the axle is already 2 inches lower than a model a axle to lower front of your car and is also a candidate to be dropped as distance between the kingpin and perch bolt hole is more than a 37/39 axle , also the easiest torque tube drive shaft to shorten as its tube not a solid axle , for heavens sake put in the effort and haul them out its all the correct stuff for your gow job coupe

3. buckwild27

buckwild27

Definitely worth it I just picked up a 35 rear-end last week just cost me the gas to get there and back

utahdodge likes this.
  4. Bonus is that the spindles are,nt welded up and they,re round type too . Usually the spindles are welded and set up on a turntable. Also a load of firewood or maybe even use that wood for some artsy stuff.

utahdodge likes this.

5. 97

everything there is worth having, and most likely salvageable, good 36 parts are not easy to find. Perfect prewar upgrades for a Model A. Remember to make a build thread when you start on your gow job. :D

utahdodge likes this.
  6. Hell yeah, those look great! Make sure the brakes aren’t seized, the ones on my axle are

utahdodge likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Many farm wagons were built using car frames. 20 years ago I got a 32 frame and running gear for $30 at a farm sale. Ford pickup bed trailers are good for 9"axles.

tractorguy and utahdodge like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

First time I've seen someone take actually the time to paint their home-made wagon! That farmer had a vision.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

tractorguy likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If they are free, you need them or have a place to store them, they are worth saving .

10. Squablow

Squablow

I agree with the others, a lot of good stuff here. '36 front axle is the same dimensions from 33-36, they can be dropped, and it looks like the spindles were never welded or cut up so that's a big bonus. Rearend is worth something and those rear wishbones definitely are, even if they're cut at the front, although you can't really see that.

Unless you have to pay a lot for it, this would be worth bringing home and carefully cutting apart.

11. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

12. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

theres gold in them hills brother

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

I have drug home several farm wagons. I find that usually once its a wagon, it never gets greased again. inside the diff will usually be nothing any good, but.. i still get them when i can as you will certainly find some good stuff on it. wide 5 drums that are within spec would be a treat