Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are SSBC disk brake kits any good? Going on '59 Chrysler.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, Apr 2, 2015.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have been beat on getting the front brakes on my 1959 Chrysler to work well so I am thinking about buying SSBC's kit for disk brakes. Does anyone have an experience with them or their kits? I would like to run the stock 14 inch rims with them. They say that it is possible. Any experiences with that? Thanks for the help.

Neal

2. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

bttt.

There has to be another 1-800-rodder besides me out there. Anything?

Neal

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure what model of 59 Chrysler you have but checking listings for ball joints for a 59 Windsor shows that they run the same upper and lower ball joints on up into the 80's on a lot of Mopars. I didhn't get a match on the tie rod ends but would think you could make that work with no more than a bit of parts swapping if needed and run later spindles and disk brakes off a Mopar from the 70's or 80's that had disk brakes and ran 14's.
    You might snoop over on http://www.allpar.com/ there is a lot of Mopar knowledge there.
    Check here: http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

I used AAJ brakes kit for my 62 Chrysler, really easy and I was able to use 14" original wheels...

beast351 likes this.

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I have some on my roadster. Excellent.

6. papajohn

papajohn

I was QC manager for SSBC for 1 1/2 years. The guys prototyping the kits were true craftsmen and put a lot of effort to make things work right. The kits are pretty well thought out and customer service was good. Any of the parts they made in house were well machined and worked well. However, their China brand imported stuff was typical low quality.

Of course this was 8 years ago. Not sure of their current quality.

7. Soviet

Soviet

Have them on our '64 F100. Excellent fit and quality.

8. I have a kit on my 1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero. Original factory V8, 4 speed. The kit was excellent and used all Ford parts.

9. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

10. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will give it some thought for the mopar brakes. If not, looks that SSBC should be fine. Thanks again.

Neal

11. Also look at other vendors. I used AAJ Brakes for the 4 wheels discs on my Desoto. Great product and pretty straightforward installation.