Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are moderators taking a harder line----

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by brianangus, May 24, 2009.

1. :(
    ya done hurt ma feelins'

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. I want the old HAMB back when there was only a couple hundred of us on here and no threads like this. It was all tech and car pics it was great.

3. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

The fact of the matter was, there were always threads like this...

I'd say the Mods are likely closeing FEWER threads than they used to if you take into consideration the volume the HAMB has now...

Post what you like, if it gets locked or closed don't post it again. And if you don't like it, don't post at all...

The volume of stuff on here lately is dizzying... I've long since given up trying to keep up...

I'm not sure it would even be possible to lock enough threads so I could keep up though...

I pretty much just subscribe to the few threads that really grab me and track them via email... I know I miss a lot, but I really don't have as much time as I used to. So there you go...

Maybe those of you that think there's too much crap on here could do the same...

4. I hear you thats why I've been on here since 2001 and have less than 500 posts. I follow threads and read alot every now and then a thread like this gets me going and I just have to join in. As far as the old HAMB I guess you never can put Pandora back in the box wish I could though.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rose colored glasses? Go back and look at the old HAMB posts... I loved it to, but the quality was wayyyy down compared to today.

6. People who have over a 1000 posts in less then 6 months really surprise the hell outta me. Especially when they seem to be chiming in on every thread, especially the Newbies when they seem to start talking as though they are having a dang Instant Message session. WTF people? Search and PM each other do not keep asking repetitive BS that can be searched for. The mods do a damn good job of killing threads that get outta control or way out of the realm of the cars we all come here to see.

I found a board I frequent that is in the MidWest that is alot like the old HAMB. Its regional so I just read mainly but alot of the good information that I see here on the HAMB was posted on there first. I do not know why but I find myself checking that board before I jump to the HAMB. Oh and if you do not see I am in Calimexico nowhere near the MidWest. So maybe regional boards are something of the future or more stringent mods maybe for another site IDK. Only time will tell.

I enjoy the global reach the HAMB provides to all of us and hope that it continues to improve as it has already over the last few years.

PROPS to Metalshapes, Curious Rash, Rocky, Ryan, The Jalopy Journal spam-bot lmfao, Tuck, and the other mods who keep the HAMB proper. With that said.-Weeks

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  7. It's usually the guys with 3000+ post think they're Moderators....the mods do a good enough job..Imo

8. Yeah but we pretty much knew one another. Quality is up but so is anonimaty. Shit even at joining in 2001 I lurked for a long time before I got the urge to join. Now people seem to join first and read second.

9. You got it right there.

10. Royalé with cheese

Royalé with cheese

Perhaps; the right thing to do would be
    to ask those who have gone o/t to please sign out
    for the last time and never come back.

and then work on those who are slightly o/t.
    and then those who are a little o/t.
    and then those who are left handed.
    and then...

this is all sounding a little unfriendly.

11. Mabee I'm NOT in the right place,the cussing is cool,but anybody that has shit to say about the cars I build because thats what I want in my car ,like a V8 12" disc brakes power rack n pinion cruse control air electric heated seats four link rear,all of which was takin out of other cars at the junk yards and made to work on my rotted out 48 plymouth biz coupe that I resurrected from the dead will get their ass handed to them.after 35 yrs building rods I've learn this :every rod is a reflection of its owner if you purist guys really get right down to it,the rod itself isnt traditional and if you like making rules your not rodders either,WE break rules not make them we build what we like and build em for us ,no one else,not even the law will stop us rebels although they keep trying.If this isnt the right place for people like me I'd just as soon find out now and not waste my time.What I want to do is help people get their rods done and on the road ,ALL rods,I can help and want to

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's not personal, just editorial. You might be in the wrong place.

13. When you get Ryan's attention and what he said, yeah your in the wrong place.-Weeks

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

"You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time."
    Who was it that said that.... LOL

:D

15. I'd like a poll to see just how many of us have 100% "traditional" hot rods on this site. I'll bet it is less than .1% I can't think of ANYONE I know on here that actually has a 100% old school hot rod. Even the guys who have really period correct stuff still have modern tweaks on it somewhere. Bottom line, if someone wants to be able to fix it on a road trip, they almost have to have a later model axle or modern brakes up front, modern ignition, etc. Maybe the Pileup should just let 100% traditional cars in next year. Bet they won't have but a couple dozen out of the 1200 last year.

I had some guy argue with me about "traditional" hot rods at 50's last weekend. He said that a "traditional" hot rod is anything someone builds in their garage with parts they have available at the time. Someone building a tuner car or a street rod has a "traditional" hot rod he argues. I agree a bit with his reasoning.

I had a thread a few years ago asking if there were any traditional styled 4x4s out there. How could this be a problem? Jeeps were available long before the 60's, Willys, IH, Etc. DELETED!!! This kind of pissed me off. It was a serious post where I wanted some opinion if there is a traditional styled 4x4. Then I saw a post with a million replys about some old jeep military hot rod someone built. And that is Okay? far as I am concerned, let the bad threads die....if they are newer than 64 then delete them. If we talk intelligently about any topic, it is what the members want and it should be okay. Lock the bashing threads, let the rest go wild.

16. krooser

krooser

There are dozens of forums that welcome the kind of car you just described.... this, pretty much, isn't one of 'em.

Lots of guys here have cars just like yours but we talk early stuff here... show me a rod built in '48 that has R&P and Baer brakes and I'll apologize...

17. Maybe I should clarify that I am not really saying that I agree that we should be talking EFI and MII here, but there is just a lot of that here. I don't care for disc brakes, NONE of my cars have them. I have never had issues with old parts that work they way they should. It is just so hard to break away from "street rod" talk here when the majority of people who are building "traditional" stuff now want modern safety and drivability upgrades.

So there are really three types of people here from what I see: 100% traditional, traditional styled with modern flair and the rest. The "traditional hot rod" scene in a lot of people's eyes I think has turned into a Model A with a SBC, late model rear end, coker radials and new drop axle with disc brakes. Is it time to reinvent what a traditional hot rod is or just define it better?

I have learned a lot about what people think and want promoting our show in Aug. I hear a lot of Rat Rod talk and try to educate the difference. I actually believe that the majority of people out there think "rat rod" and not traditional. It is going to be hard to break that image, I am not sure if it is possible. Now that this market has gone commercialized and popular, it may be out of control. For the people who really understand what it is all about, you just have to bite your tongue a lot I guess....or delete posts. sad to say

18. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I must be the .1% along with most of my close friends...

Stop trying to define the HAMB.

Waste of time.
    Waste of energy.

Just follow the forum rules and build something that means somethin to YOU.

19. Listen to Tuck. Word!

20. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

maybe you are, but i understand his point.. one example.. the Headskratcher.. everyone drooled over it when it showed up on the hamb, but it does have a TH350 or something in it.. not very traditional..

I'm not defending anyone, just pointing out..there are exceptions, lots of them

21. That's true. I'm sure not 100% traditional by the parts I used but I am 100% traditional in how I built her, using what I could find and afford, and making my own parts instead of buying it all. That's how my Dad had explained how it used to be done. Heck, I'm running 70's camaro disks on the front but it sure helps shutting it down from 115 mph in the 1/4.

That's why I agree with Tuck so strongly about not trying to define the HAMB. I prefer to live it instead.

Is my dragster turning out to be an exact replica of a car from 1963 or even a parts correct car? No. The hot rodder in me wants to live it and go fast instead of being perfectly accurate to the era. And guess what. If you don't like it I don't give a rat's ass. I'm having fun!!! :)

22. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

yea! n we can call it the kill zone. and delete em as fast as you can post.

23. sloorider

sloorider

Brian's wanting to know why his post got locked/closed was reasonable,and when Ryan answered, it should have been closed.Mods ya blew it (all due respect).
    Brian post great info, as do Blue Lux, Elpolacko ...etc on what qualifies as non traditional. Sure would not want to lose them.

24. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

You're really obnoxious.

25. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

hahaha that picture rules.

26. Yer a little late niegbor. :)

27. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

I doubt it. I see nothing that gives me the impression that it will ever change.

28. Thanks pal. :)

29. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Your sarcasm is wasted with me, trust me. I don't find you hilarious, witty, intelligent, capable of teaching others anything.... you're a write off. Then again, those of us in your local area know that already.

Have a good night, brah.

30. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I always wondered what a traditional was and who defined it. Not to start crap, but I was born in 61 and started driving (legally) in 77. I was the poor kid in school so I had a 71 P.U., built from junkyard parts, beat up, welded and rusty. I hotrodded it with a set of home ported heads, headers cut to fit, homemade exhaust, etc...etc...etc... I understand the traditional up to 64, because really after that it's a muscle car. Disc brakes? the 1700lb car doesn't need them, but the 4door land barge definitely would be alot safer with them.

Still like the site and not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios, not looking for the "this may not be your site" response.